Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #1

I had both rear jacks replaced on my coach in June. The left rear is leaking again. Is it possible this jack is exposed to excessive heat do to its proximity to the engine and radiator plumbing. The Jack appears to be leaking past the seal on the ram.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #2

I had both rear jacks replaced on my coach in June. The left rear is leaking again. Is it possible this jack is exposed to excessive heat do to its proximity to the engine and radiator plumbing. The Jack appears to be leaking past the seal on the ram.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #3

I'd guess no, and that you have been exposed to a statistical anomoly. Pretty sure most coaches have not had such recurrence of jack leaks, or superfluity of LR leaks.
Was the RR leaking B4? Seems that the LR should be replacable under warranty of the part, but that's just my mental anomolization of warranty terms. Was the LR jack part new or reconditioned? If the latter it may have been misdiagnosed as leaking seal when the ram was pitted or scored, & put into service w/just the seal replaced.
It could be that rear jacks experience higher seal failure due to position behind rear wheels; but that's not based on any valid data, just speculation. And it doesn't explain the short tenure of your LR "repaired" jack.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #4

Mike, both jacks were replaced with new jacks and springs and yes it was leaking. I am sure it is still covered under warranty. I wiped it down yesterday so I could keep an eye on it and get a better idea how bad it is leaking.

My coach is really hard to check the fluid level in the hydraulic reservoir. I have to crawl underneath the coach and reach up through the wheel well to get at the dipstick. The pump is turned 90 degrees from most. The dipstick and reservoir are next to the frame rail just beyond arms reach. The factory has authorized the installation of an access panel. I just need to find a shop willing to do it. I was considering waiting until I return to the factory next July.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #5

Wayne - Are you sure the leak wasn't from the hose fitting or the limit sensor? I would have sworn a leak I had was from the seal but when I crawled under and looked closely I found the fittings to be the culprit. When the jacks shift from their normal outward angle, I found the hydraulic hose to be pulling on the angled fitting and causing it to loosen. Perhaps you thoroughly checked it already but if not, you might want to make sure it is not a fitting.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #6

Update, I just left HWH and my leaky left side jack is now fixed. The problem was it was installed backwards (rotated 180 degrees) in the mount. The fitting was pointing toward the frame, when the jack was extended it would put pressure on the fitting and leak. The jack is angled outboard slightly and the farther it is extended the more pressure it would s put on the fitting against the frame.

HWH customer service is fantastic and if your there during lunch time you are treated to lunch at a great local café called the Cove.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne, I'm wondering who put the jack in backwards.

I just replaced my rf because it wouldn't retract (a LOT easier than I thought it would be). HWH gave it to me for the freight cost even though it was OOW. They really do know how to keep us happy.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:54 AM   #8

Frank, I assume it was installed at the factory rotated 180 degrees in the mounting bracket and McGaugh RV replaced it the same way it came out. The original jack had the same symptom leaking when it was extended about 75%. The LR jack is a *** to get at and when retracted the fitting did not contact the frame.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #9

Wayne- which way does the fitting face when installed correctly? My LR leaked badly, the leak was fixed @ Aguanga rally, and now she is once more "going down by the aft port quarter" and it looks wet on the jack again. I might have the same issue.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #10

The fitting should be facing the outside of the coach. They put 6000 PSI on my jack on the bench and it didn't leak (I guess that is a lot). He also stated that it was just a matter of time before the switch started leaking because it was riding hard on the bracket when the jack was extended.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
My LR jack had a loose fitting causing a lot of fluid leak. Happened all of a sudden after 9 months. I also had a loose fitting inside the HWH compartment that made a bit of a mess. Both were simple fixes.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #12

I checked mine out last night. The fitting is vertical off the top of the jack & looks like it rubs against the aluminum air tube to the intercooler. Vibration of the engine/intercooler line while under way probably adds to stress on the fitting. I'll have to recheck it next time I put air in the bags and take it off the jacks. It definitely is not easy to get to.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #13

EMike,
On my jack the fitting is on the top of the jack but on the outboard side of the cylinder. If it is on the inboard side as the jack extends and the top leans more toward the frame rail it can put excess pressure on the fitting causing a leak. If it is as mine was it needs to be rotated 180% in its bracket.