Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Jacks

It seems almost every time we get on the highway that the buzzer goes off indicating we have a jack down so I have to pull over put on parking brake and push the store button it gets a little aggrevating so when we were in Chicago area I had all new springs put on thinking this would do the trick. Well it didn't any suggestions??

Bogie
2002 38 FDDS
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #2

Bogie,

There is a software fix that can be installed in the HWH control panel that will allow you to STORE the jacks when the coach is in gear and moving. Contact HWH.

When you get the buzzer, check to see which jack is slightly down. It is likely the rear, driver-side, since the routing of the hydraulic line is too near a heat source from the Cummins engine. If this is the case, you can consider re-routing the hydraulic line (might be difficult). Or, another approach is to always allow the STORE function to work for a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Also, each time you stop to rest (food, fuel, etc), push the HWH STORE button to raise the offending jack again.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

I've got the same problem. WD 40 seems to help (spayed on with jacks down). And as a habit, just before we start to go I put the unit in the STORE mode - theory being the driving vibrations will allow the jack to go to its final store position. This always seems to work, and verifies what others have said.

I'm interested in Dales 777 response on the software change. That would help a lot if you could go to STORE while driving down the highway. That alarm is pretty irritating till you can find a place to pull over - or a traffic light.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

After reading all the posts on this subject I've had good luck wiping the jacks when fully down, with a very thin film of automatic transmission/hydraulic fluid, then wiping it fairly dry. I like this solution because it's the same as used in the HWH system and doesn't contaminate the seals. My dealer said the seals get dry and that contributes to the slowness in bringing them up, or up all the way. Lubing them with ATF seems to help a lot.

My slow jack, or one that doesn't get all the way up is passenger side rear.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We sometimes have this problem with the jacks down alarm sounding while driving down the road. We have been able to turn off the alarm by turning HWH system on and pressing the store button while driving down the road. As far as I know we have no special software but it seems to work. Actually the first time this happened we did pull off the road but others told us that was not required, but that this is one of the responsibilities of the co-pilot. Good luck, Doug
Doug & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

Bogie - There are two PROMS (integrated circuits) that hold the program for the system. They are located in the control box under the dash. It is not very easy to get to them but with some patience you can get it done. HWH may send them to you so you can "store" while moving. There might be an issue though since it causes a safety bypass. You could also accidently "dump" or put jacks down while travelling so I don't know if HWH will still provide them. I installed mine when WRV was still in business...they sent them to me.

Doug & Debbie - Whoever you got your coach from must have installed them already. This was a common problem in the earlier Alpines and many were retrofitted.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
Bogie,

There is a software fix that can be installed in the HWH control panel that will allow you to STORE the jacks when the coach is in gear and moving. Contact HWH.

When you get the buzzer, check to see which jack is slightly down. It is likely the rear, driver-side, since the routing of the hydraulic line is too near a heat source from the Cummins engine. If this is the case, you can consider re-routing the hydraulic line (might be difficult). Or, another approach is to always allow the STORE function to work for a minimum of 5-10 minutes. Also, each time you stop to rest (food, fuel, etc), push the HWH STORE button to raise the offending jack again.
Never heard of a need for software fix. I have had HWHs on two coaches. Sometimes after storage for long time one would be slow. I would visually check that it was up partially and drive on with buzzer going. I have had to drive 15 minutes sometime to get the offending jack up.

Now I always let the system run cycle out when getting on road even though I have a green light.

Couple of times early before I knew not to shut it down when I got the green travel light I would have one suddenly showing down and get buzzer so I would just hit store while on road and let the cycle complete.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

BZam,

For the early Alpine Coaches, there definitely was a software update to do what I stated. My previous motorhome was a 2001 Alpine Coach 38FDDS. WRV provided the chip with the updated EPROM to me from HWH. Later year Alpine Coaches are able to raise the jacks while the coach is in gear.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Bogie:

After talking to HWH at one of ACA/WRV Rallies I was told that when you raise the jacks they run through a 6 minute cycle and the HWH system will turn its self off. If you stop it sooner the Jacks may not be fully retracted and you will get more Jacks down alarms. So now when I retract the jacks I let the HWH system go until its 6 minute cycle turns off the HWH system before we hit the road. Once on the road I again turn on the HWH system and hit the jacks up button. I almost never have that annoying jacks down alarm scare the *@!# out if me.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #10

When I had my 2000 Alpine, I had the same problem with the alarm coming on while going down the road and had to stop to retract. When I contacted HWH they said there was an update available and they fixed it with no charge. After I retracted the jacks, I never turned the HWH off. Every once in while on rough road the alarm would come on. All I had to do while I was still moving, was power on the HWH and hit store.

Kraig
2007 Apex
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #11

Thanks for all the help. I do wait for the system to shut itself down. I have some things to try now, will let you all know in a couple of weeks when we go again how we do Thanks Again for all yor help.
Bogie
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale777 View Post
Bogie,

Hello Dale, I have a problem with my Jacks now, I went to raise them and they started to come up, but then I lost the power to the levling jack control panel. The two jacks on the driver side are half way up.
The bedroom and living room slide out still run in and out, but I noticed now the hyd pump seems to pulsate when I run the slides.
I checked the circuit board and it has power to it, no red indicator lights are flashing.
Is there a fuse that I may have missed? Or a reset button?
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the fluid level with all things retracked, jacks & slides, lately?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #14

Roger L.

1. You said, "...then I lost the power to the levling jack control panel." This could be due to a loose connection in the drawer under the dash that has the HWH panel or a loose battery connection some where along the line. See this link for a discussion of these issues:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/hwh-...-up-52325.html

2. You also said, "The bedroom and living room slide out still run in and out...", so I assume you regained power to the HWH control panel.

3. You then said, "I checked the circuit board and it has power to it, no red indicator lights are flashing. Is there a fuse that I may have missed? Or a reset button?"
For a reset, you can try turning off/on both the house battery switch (by the entry steps) and the chassis battery switch (in the battery compartment). You have the Vansco multiplexor, so it will reset when you turn these power switches off/on. The Vansco unit performs the circuit breaker function for many items on this coach.

4. You could also check the HWH manual to interpret the lights on the HWH circuit board in the small HWH compartment behind the DS front wheel. See this Alpine Coach Association technical information link for access to the HWH manual:
Alpine Coach - Technical Information