Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #29

Genius. Will you post that to the Tech Library?

What plans do you have for all the money you just saved?

And would you identify the road for us please?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #30

Well if your issue follows the one I had. If the problem comes back check the fluid level with everything retracted and if the level is good replace the shuttle valve.

There were several times we thought it had "healed itself" only to find out it had lost its mind again. No problems at all since replacing the shuttle valve. Although I have an 04 so hopefully we don't find out one day our line is blown off because winnebago screwed up on the fittings.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsnet View Post
Again thanks to everyone who offered information for the left rear non-functioning jack. I took the advice of cycling the system but to no avail.

However today I had to move to a new location so closed the slides and made sure the three functioning jacks were stowed and decided to take a gravel, rough, bumpy back road to my new site. Upon getting there I shut my eyes and ears and pushed the auto leveler button. Took the dog for a walk and when I returned all four jack were down and the coach was level and the system had shut off as normal.

So if you find your hydraulic fluid level is below the minimum required amount and you have trouble because of it, just top off the reservoir, drive the coach up a gravel country road, take your dog for a walk while the coach is in automatic leveling mode, say a prayer to St Jude (the patron saint of the hopeless) and you should be fine.

Jim

Jim, you want to trace the path of all the hoses, the left rear jack is the farthest from the pump/tank so it takes the most fluid to extend, thus if the fluid is low it will be the first to suffer. Trace all the hoses looking for the leak (it could be on any of the jack hoses, or even a slide). That fluid went somewhere and you want to find the leak so you can get it fixed, either that or carry a lot of fluid and check/refilling your levels often.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #32
Commercial Member

hartsnet, intermittent problems are the worst. at first glance, it looks like there is a ground problem, or a bad connection. thats usually the first thing to check. until i saw that post, i thought the valve was the problem. download a service manual.
if the jack goes down with the valve open, check the connection to be sure there is 12 volts going to the valve. if there is, replace the soleniod valve.
if there is no power, check the leds for that jack. see service manual for location.
if there is a yellow light, but no red light, check the fuse. if the fuse is good, replace the control box. if the fuse is blown, the valve is bad, or is shorted.
the service manual gives you a process for the diagnosis.
if you need help, call me at 602-59-3638 i can help. pfmaddox@att.net
paul maddox
i work for hwh. i do not sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Left Rear Leveler

Again thanks to all for the input and recommendations.

I topped off the oil reservoir again day before yesterday and cycled the system as recommended. That made 2 quarts of oil I added and the everything worked again. I still can't believe the system would work at all with the reservoir so low on fluid. Yesterday I moved the coach again through a park with lots of speed bumps and dropped the hook in the new location, hit the leveler button, left rear didn't work.
Today I checked the oil level again and again found it down by a quart, that makes 3 quarts so far I had to add to fill the reservoir. Let it set for a couple of hours and tried the leveler button again and again everything works fine.

I will get into the wiring diagnosis procedure after I am sure the system is FULL of oil. I keep wondering if I have set a record for having a HWH system work perfectly with no oil in it for over a year with NO leaks.

Everyone say a prayer for those poor families in Florida. AND that the FBI will figure out how to drain their internal swamp.

Jim
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are the slides HWH hydraulic? Mine are and to get a correct fluid level three have to be out and the fourth in.
I actually found the colorless HWH fluid cheapet than Dexron too. You can also use Transynd or other TES 295 fluid instead.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, a couple of observations, first before you do anything else, find out WHY you are loosing fluid. 3 quarts suggests you have a substantial leak somewhere or you are overfilling the tank. Second, while there are folks on here that mean well, the procedure for Alpines is to check the fluid level with all slides, jacks and beds (if you have them) RETRACTED. Other manufacturers may have other processes, but be sure you follow the Alpine process or you will over fill the reservoir and the system will pump the excess fluid right out the overflow vent and all over the compartment and the ground.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dave.

Yes the level must be checked only when everything is retracted.

Zero leaks for the year I have had the coach. When I bought it from Guaranty RV I noticed a small drop of oil on the ground under the coach beneath the reservoir.

The service department found a loose fitting on the valve body and tightened it. I cleaned all residue oil in the hydraulic bay in order to see if there any more leaks.

I park on a concrete pad in my shop and have always watched to see if there are leaks of any kind and have found none.

I am beginning to think the service department at the dealership failed to check the oil level or didn't know how - whatever. So I have been using the coach for a year, 4 trips and everything worked well except once in a while I thought the closet slide was sort of slow but he jacks always worked perfectly.

Now with the discovery of the 3 quart low system it seems the slow closet slide and the newly off and on working of the left jack, both being the farthest from the hydraulic bay, makes sense.

Some of the simplest things can upset the HWH system. I had a bad jack sensor wire connection once on a different coach and the system freaked. I fixed the connection and everything was perfect again.

Jim
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Second, while there are folks on here that mean well, the procedure for Alpines is to check the fluid level with all slides, jacks and beds (if you have them) RETRACTED. Other manufacturers may have other processes, but be sure you follow the Alpine process or you will over fill the reservoir and the system will pump the excess fluid right out the overflow vent and all over the compartment and the ground.
Exactly why I said "on my rig", I know there are different procedures for checking the fluid level. In fact I found the published HWH instructions for my CC were wrong. How? After following the instructions I had to clean up the overflow. The instructions said three in and the main slide out. And it should have been three out and the main slide in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsnet View Post
Thanks Dave.

Yes the level must be checked only when everything is retracted.

Zero leaks for the year I have had the coach. When I bought it from Guaranty RV I noticed a small drop of oil on the ground under the coach beneath the reservoir.

The service department found a loose fitting on the valve body and tightened it. I cleaned all residue oil in the hydraulic bay in order to see if there any more leaks.

I park on a concrete pad in my shop and have always watched to see if there are leaks of any kind and have found none.

I am beginning to think the service department at the dealership failed to check the oil level or didn't know how - whatever. So I have been using the coach for a year, 4 trips and everything worked well except once in a while I thought the closet slide was sort of slow but he jacks always worked perfectly.

Now with the discovery of the 3 quart low system it seems the slow closet slide and the newly off and on working of the left jack, both being the farthest from the hydraulic bay, makes sense.

Some of the simplest things can upset the HWH system. I had a bad jack sensor wire connection once on a different coach and the system freaked. I fixed the connection and everything was perfect again.

Jim
The line that usually blows off is the one for the main slide closes to the water heater (if yours is in the front below the passenger seat. if it leaks it leaks in the compartment not the ground.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Exactly why I said "on my rig", I know there are different procedures for checking the fluid level. In fact I found the published HWH instructions for my CC were wrong. How? After following the instructions I had to clean up the overflow. The instructions said three in and the main slide out. And it should have been three out and the main slide in.
Actually, you didn't say "on my rig". The concern is that posting procedures for a Country Coach, Winnebago or most any other brand, often provides information that is irrelevant to those that own an Alpine Coach and are seeking to resolve a coach specific issue.

Thanks for understanding.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Well no matter what coach we all need at one time or another some other minds to help. Thanks guys, tomorrow I will again cycle the system and then recheck the reservoir.

I am in Lk Havasu City for another month so there are lots of other things to do than play with the levelers.

Jim
Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
HWH leveling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
The line that usually blows off is the one for the main slide closes to the water heater (if yours is in the front below the passenger seat. if it leaks it leaks in the compartment not the ground.

Actually on an Alpine that compartment is open, so any leaking fluid will be found on the ground, particularly 3 quarts.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Actually on an Alpine that compartment is open, so any leaking fluid will be found on the ground, particularly 3 quarts.
I’m sorry it was my bad. I got this issue confused with someone’s that has an Itasca. My little voice even questioned it but I kept on typing.

Tags
hwh, leveling