Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #1

HWH Not Powering Up

I am unable to get my HWH control to power up. The travel light is no longer green and when I push the HYD button the panel lights blink and it shows the batteries are low. I checked the fuse in the Accesorie Panel box and it is fine, all the fuses on the back of the metal control box under the dash are ok. Is there another panel somewhere in the coach with a "clear" panel that I have been reading about? I tried the hot lead in the pump compartment was able to jump the pump and get the nose to retract/extend but not able to get the system to power up? HELP.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #2

Had same problem two days ago and found loose battery connections on the house battery terminals

2000 38 ft Alpine

Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jay,
The control box for my 2002 was behind the dash, near the center floor on the firewall. It did not have the clear panel, like the newer ones. If no one with an older coach can help you, try here and look at the 600 or 610 series.

Owners manuals.
Western Recreational Vehicles Documentation

Guides with trouble shooting guides.
HWH Service Manuals
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Jay,
I had the little battery light come on on mine while trying to extend the jacks. This was 3 years ago. I replaced the batteries and have not had that problem since. I did find that if I drove the coach several miles, it would charge the house battery and the HWH system would work, so long as I could level on the 1st attempt.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We had the same issue and it turned out to be a cracked pos battery cable terminal....HWH controls are fussy about gettint the full 12V they want...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #6

Thanks for all your replies. I am about to throw the whole unit out. Last night I was able to jump the pump with the hot lead leading me to the conclusion that the lead from the battery to the pump was fine. I have replaced all the fuses, checked the ground and such. I was able to get the travel light to stay on as I had one jack not all the way up so I manually bled the pump and up it went. Seems the pumps are getting enough power but the system, control boxes are not responding. The ACC fuse is only 5 amps so not much of a draw there. HWH has been really slow about responding.

Would really be nice if anybody could find the wiring schematic from Western for these coachs as I have had to track down countless wires from previous owners recklessness and such. Any other ideas I am open.

Thanks Jay.

360-914-7120 Cell.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jay,

You haven't said, have you checked the voltage at the batteries and to the HWH system?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #8

Jay

Just something to check, we had a wire on the back of the control panel that was loose on a couple of occasions on our 99. It was connected to the 10? pin connector that connects to the back of the push button control panel. Be sure each wire is seated properly in the connector. Our control panel did not work at all with that loose wire.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jay:

As Ed mentions, there have been many postings with your symptoms that were the result of the control panel (at dash) having a loose connection or strained wire bundle. I loosened my bundle by moving the strap holding it a bit. The problems can be intermittant or unchanging, depending on the looseness.

Take apart the two passenger side panels below the dash so you can see the drawer and related wiring as you move it in and out. You may just find a loose or pinched wire. From the sounds of it, the problem is likely a bad connection, likely there.

When you checked the fuses, did you check all the ones indicated in the HWH Owner's Manual. There are many fuses and in different locations:

Here's for three slides. http://www.hwh.com/ml13997.pdf
Here's for two slides. http://www.hwh.com/ml19754.pdf and http://www.hwh.com/ml16957.pdf (ignore the engine access door)

My control unit was center coach, under water tank, in first bay, behind a carpeted panel, next to the main tank drain valve.

Good luck, as frustrating as it is, it will be something insultingly simple.