Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Solenoid

I need to locate the part number for the solenoid controlling the levelers on my 06 Apex. I have two of them leaking fluid and want to have correct part number for HWH when ordering. If anyone has info. would appreciate help. FYI, they are the top solenoids facing the fluid reservoir, measuring 2" in diameter and 4 1/4" in length.

Thanks,
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I believe there are only two solenoid sizes. The large one is for the jacks and the smaller one is for the slides. I don't know the part numbers. When I talked to HWH to order a new solenoid they asked if I wanted the big one or the little one. I took the little one.

JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Commercial Member

the large ones is RAP0642 2 inches in dia.
the small ones is RAP90729 1 1/2 inch in dia.
both can be ordered from hwh
it is not very likely that a local dealer stocks them,
where are they leaking? if its thru a wire, or internally, it needs replacing.
if its around the threads, try replacing the o rings first. if that works, its a cheap fix. use neoprene seals from any hardware store.
heres the thing about large and small solenoids. if its a small solenoid on the jack manifold, there normally isnt enough room for a large solenoid.
in general, you can always use a large solenoid to replace a small one, but you shouldnt use a small solenoid to replace a large one. on the newer leveling systems, hwh does use small solenoids on the jack manifold.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Solenoid

azpete, thanks for the model number information. It appears that the leak is coming out the wire port on the 2 larger solenoids that are on top and closest to the door and from your description doesn't appear to be repairable. Condition appeared over the last two months or so.
JL appreciate information did either you or azpete replace the units yourself or have mechanic do ? This time around I am having my mechanic do the R/R, but, I know with time others will probably fail and I think I could do job myself.

Thanks again guys for the heads up and happy trails.

Steve Davis
Old 10-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #5

Its an easy DIY job on an Apex because you can get at them. Use large water pump pliers (which will bark off some of the black paint, but no worry.
HWH can "rebuild" the solenoid valve for a smaller fee than a new one, tho you'll either need a replacement solenoid in hand to swap out to avoid a massive leak, or a plug. If you want to try the plug you can PM me.

Raise the jacks completely first for this operation. After you get the valve started rotating, get a rag wrapped around the manifold end tightly; when you get the o-ring seal just past sealed there will be a tight, fast spirt of oil. After that you just spin the old valve off & insert & turn to seal the new valve or plug. If using the plug, you don't have use of the jack till you replace it w/a working valve.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Commercial Member

if you open the valve first and release the pressure, that spurt of oil wont happen. either a tee handle or a 1/4 brass nut is located at the end of the valve. assuming that either is not corroded, and stuck, turn the handle or nut out three complete turns. this will release the pressure on that valve. you can then remove it with minimal loss of fluid.
note*** on the valve with the 1/4 nut, there is also a 1/8 nut on the end of the needle. do not loosen this nut. only loosen the 1/4 nut. call me at 602-549-3638 if you need further assistance.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, great info as I wasn't sure if they could be rebuilt. I will be sure to send them back to HWH for service and hold onto them when other two go out. It does appear to be a relatively simple job. Was at first concerned that the leak would a result of hose problem, but, it isn't yet.

Az, will keep phone number handy for when next ones go out, appreciate info very much.

Steve

Tags
hwh