Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Janet and Todd, i had just replaced the chassis batteries about a month ago. i never even thought to check the house batteries. i called enterstate and gave them the number off the house batteries and they said the batteries in my coach are 2005 yr batteries

dennismhamm is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, you're very lucky your batteries didn't catch fire. They still might. I'd get them changed asap and visually check them each month to make sure they're topped up.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
If you want to use wet batteries, I would recommend COSTCO as they use Interstate batteries. I put 6 coach batteries in three years ago and they are still going strong. I average about 4 years out my coach batteries. I have used both Interstate and Trojan batteries. The last time I looked at the price of COSTCO, 6 volt golf cart batteries they were about $90.00 each.

Trojans 6 volt golf cart batteries are running around $160.00 each.

COSTCO 6 volt golf cart batteries had the same amp hour rating as the Trojans.

Just information only.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Janet and Todd, we just bought the coach in august of 2014 and i was told the house batteries had just been replaced which was not true. which is why didn't pay to much attention to the batteries. interstate did confirm that the batteries are 2005yr
Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like you have your thumb squarely on the problem! You may get some life back in those batteries but purchasing new ones should make a HUGE difference.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Bob Bowers, Thanks. yes, i ordered 8 new interstates, will pick on Monday
Old 02-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
As stated above bad batteries will hamper, or prevent the HWH system from working properly, so good batteries are a must have. FWIW-AGM and lead-acid both have good and bad sides, so it's a personal choice which you use.

HWH system proper procedure to use.
It (HWH) needs around 100+DC Amps for a millisecond or two to get the motor up to speed, the batteries even if new cannot provide this "quick spurt". So, either one of the following needs to be going on:
1. Plugged into shore power and the battery charger in charging mode or;
2. The generator is running and again the charger is charging the batteries.
Failure to do it this way will burn out a diode on the HWH motherboard, an expensive repair.

All - If equipped with Silverleaf and using the front TV again, the options above apply, but the ignition switch should be in the ACC position (at least mine does) for the HWH system to extend the slides, it will auto level the coach, but I then need to tweak the level a tad bit for the drivers side to keep it level.

Whenever using the HWH system while parked, make sure the battery charger is charging the batteries for the reason listed above that DC Amp draw for the motor. APEX owners especially need to follow this advice, since those coaches use even more power for those operations it appears. May be a weight issue or something, not sure. I don't even operate the smartbeds without the charger being on. Since we have mid-door model, we keep any and all blocks, pads, etc., for the jacks under the step so we don't have to worry about the genset or shore power issue, you can leave the ISL-400 running to open the beds, or the like, but since the bags will just pump back up the engine cannot be running to level the coach and extend the jacks, etc.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #22

In the 10 years that I have had my coach I have never been plugged in or had my generator running while I deployed my jacks. My batteries have no problem supplying the amperage needed to operate the jacks. Neither have I had to replace the HWH board. My first set of batteries lasted six years.

Just another opinion
Ken Tarkin
2005, 34' Alpine
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Much discussion on this topic has been had! The consensus from Engineer Mike was the way I stated above, you have been lucky. I suggest you search HWH issues on this forum to find the original thread. You also may have a coach which was built as a late 03/4 which they called an 05. The issues seem to occur in the coaches that were later than the ones with the new steering box, movable pedals and additional changes made to the electrical/electronic coaches during that transition.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
HWH System acting up

Old RVr, I have to agree with Ken T, I have an '05 (built Sept '04) and have deployed the jacks and the slides, both hooked to shore power AND not.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ditto with DrDave. For ten years we have been deploying the jacks with and without shore power. Seems to me that if you have just parked the batteries are at peak charge and are more than capable of giving ample amperage to the HWH system.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Maybe it's an APEX issue, but I will continue to do it my way and I have never had the diode burn either, so I guess it's what works for you. I know with the residential refer, and 8 house batteries, and a 200A alternator, my batteries go into at least absorbsion and sometimes bulk level of charge once we hook up to shore power. They are AGM's and three years old. The terminals are clean, etc. The apex seems to need more energy.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
For the 14 years, we have had our Alpine I usually deploy the jacks before connecting to shore power. If we dry camp I deploy the jacks and slides using the batteries with no problem.

We have watch our friends who have Alpines an APEX’s deploy the Jacks and Slides only using battery power when they dry camp.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #28

I talked to a guy from HWH today and he said there is no problem using battery power to deploy the jacks and slides provided they are charged up. I can see that using shore power and or the generator will be easier on the batteries.

Geoff

Tags
hwh