Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #29
Commercial Member

hwh has used the same procedure since 1967. the batteries used to operate the hwh system is the choice of the manufacturer.
we recommend connecting to the chassis batteries.
almost all mfg's use the chassis batteries. if the batteries are low, the engine alternator can provide the additional amperage need to operate our system.
the pump motor draws about 105 amps to start up. when the motor reaches the needed rpm's, the draw drops back to about 95 amps. this draw depends on which motor is used, but the premise is the same.
if you have a 750 cranking amp battery, why wouldn't it supply the 105 amps needed to start the motor? unless it is depleted to the point. it below the required voltage, , it should be sufficient. there is a low voltage warning light on the touch panel.
if you continue to try to run the leveling system on a low battery, it could possibly burn out either the motor, control box, or even a 12 volt relay. its not a common problem, because most users recognize the problem and stop trying to get the system to do something it wasn't designed to do.
in any case, we do not have a problem with our system running on the chassis battery, without being plugged in.
running the generator, or plugging in to shore power doesn't have much if any effect on the hwh system, because it is normally connected to the chassis battery.
if anyone has questions, please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638
thanks, paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #30

A perfect explanation, once again, Paul. I've been following this topic and totally agree with you that a sufficiently charged, and healthy set of batteries is more than sufficient to operate the entire HWH jacks and slide systems installed on most coaches. On rare occasions I have used the batteries, but it is my feeling that it is totally up to the discretion of the owner whether or not he chooses to utilize only his battery bank or supplemental power from the generator or shore power. Personally, when available, I prefer to use either form of supplemental power rather than the batteries; and definitely utilize the generator when dry camping to assure avoiding any unnecessary battery drain -- why use up battery power unnecessarily? Even though I have more than sufficient solar panels to supply daily needs to maintain a fully charged battery system the use of a generator to operate my HWH systems is my personal preference.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... in my '03 the front "House" cutoff switch powers the HWH relays & pump motor in the front HWH compartment. The control box under the dash uses chassis power. This is why I have to have BOTH chassis & house switches set "On" or the control panel & the HWH system does not work.

For years I only relied on batteries when using the HWH system and do agree that they "should" support any HWH operation "all things being equal". However, I had a situation while crossing the lower US in which the HWH system would no longer extend the jacks and the pump motor was making a funny noise while using just batteries. Living in a "cigar box" got real old FAST!

After arriving at an AZ destination, a fellow Alpine owner suggested running the generator to establish the "BEST" voltage possible which resulted in the pump motor leveling and extending the slides. Yes, I'm sure the pump motor was going out and did replace it as recommended by an HWH certified shop on the very next trip.

The other possibility was that the batteries were not holding a good charge. The voltage reading appeared fine but I checked every battery cell with a hydrometer. Every cell passed with flying colors (green!).

It's interesting how experiences affect our view of the established "normal" or what should work OK. I'm certainly NOT going to suggest that anyone stop relying on just using batteries for HWH operations. I do know that running the generator or using shore power assures that the charger is putting out the highest or best voltage possible ("all things being equal") and that seems like good insurance to me. I even run the generator now to open the front slide for fueling.

That's my story ... and I'm stinking to it!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW ... in my '03 the front "House" cutoff switch powers the HWH relays & pump motor in the front HWH compartment. The control box under the dash uses chassis power. This is why I have to have BOTH chassis & house switches set "On" or the control panel & the HWH system does not work.

For years I only relied on batteries when using the HWH system and do agree that they "should" support any HWH operation "all things being equal". However, I had a situation while crossing the lower US in which the HWH system would no longer extend the jacks and the pump motor was making a funny noise while using just batteries. Living in a "cigar box" got real old FAST!

After arriving at an AZ destination, a fellow Alpine owner suggested running the generator to establish the "BEST" voltage possible which resulted in the pump motor leveling and extending the slides. Yes, I'm sure the pump motor was going out and did replace it as recommended by an HWH certified shop on the very next trip.

The other possibility was that the batteries were not holding a good charge. The voltage reading appeared fine but I checked every battery cell with a hydrometer. Every cell passed with flying colors (green!).

It's interesting how experiences affect our view of the established "normal" or what should work OK. I'm certainly NOT going to suggest that anyone stop relying on just using batteries for HWH operations. I do know that running the generator or using shore power assures that the charger is putting out the highest or best voltage possible ("all things being equal") and that seems like good insurance to me. I even run the generator now to open the front slide for fueling.

That's my story ... and I'm stinking to it!
I always use my battery's to deploy the Jacks.
Has anyone concidered that while the engine is running the air bags want to inflate?
The first thing that happens when the Jacks are set is the air bags release all of the air.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh