Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #1

Just a little wonder as to why WRV says to change Hydaulic fluid every 3000 miles when a car transmision can go 30000 or more on the same fluid. looking at bottom filter canister on coach there are four hoses one says outlet it goes to pump suction about a 1" ID. Another says drain it has two oil return 1/2" ID hoses connected to a 1/2" fitting this oil is not filtered. In the center is a fitting of about 1" return with a 3/4" ID hose on it this oil goes through the filters in canister. So what I am saying is that only half of the oil is filtered.(note oil on return lines is low pressure) Oil filters on cars & trucks have a high pressure bypass for when oil is cold some oil is sent back to oil pan. After changing oil this last time and finding lots of dirt in canister out sideof filter I placed all return lines to center fitting so all oil is filterd.

2004 HONDA CR
DR Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #2

Just a little wonder as to why WRV says to change Hydaulic fluid every 3000 miles when a car transmision can go 30000 or more on the same fluid. looking at bottom filter canister on coach there are four hoses one says outlet it goes to pump suction about a 1" ID. Another says drain it has two oil return 1/2" ID hoses connected to a 1/2" fitting this oil is not filtered. In the center is a fitting of about 1" return with a 3/4" ID hose on it this oil goes through the filters in canister. So what I am saying is that only half of the oil is filtered.(note oil on return lines is low pressure) Oil filters on cars & trucks have a high pressure bypass for when oil is cold some oil is sent back to oil pan. After changing oil this last time and finding lots of dirt in canister out sideof filter I placed all return lines to center fitting so all oil is filterd.

2004 HONDA CR
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #3

DR - I believe the fluid you are refering to is not as you seem to intimate, for the transmission, it is instead for the fan and steering. They use the change interval similar heavy trucks...seems excessive to me too.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #4

I am so sorey you dont get it only half the oil i filterd!!! Why even have a filter at all.

2004 HONDA CR
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Your manual says to change the hydraulic fluid every 3 months? I looked everywhere in mine for that - saw to change filters at 10,000 miles (which for mean also means fluid as you drain resevoir to get to filters). I must have missed something somewhere.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #6

You are right the book on Hydaulic stering says 10000 miles. Name plate on filter canister says 6000. somewhere in my stooper I thought it said 3000. To drain oil on our 2000 Alpine I have to remove at least one of the two return lines. THE TWO RETURN LINES ON DRAIN PLUG ARE BY PASSING FILTER SO ONE HALF OF RETURNED OIL IS NOT FILTERD. That was my bigest concern. second was the frequent oil and filter change. It dsoes make sence though to change often if you only filter half. Guys do I have a valid concern? I think why the frequent oil change is because of not all oil filter being filetrd.

2004 HONDA CR