Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #1

Sticker on tank calls for "Rykon Premium VG 46", which I am unable to find so far. Anyone know a compatable substitute? How 'bout correct fluid level in tank...where it should be? Location of dipstick or guage?

New owner (Feb) thanks you. Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #2

Sticker on tank calls for "Rykon Premium VG 46", which I am unable to find so far. Anyone know a compatable substitute? How 'bout correct fluid level in tank...where it should be? Location of dipstick or guage?

New owner (Feb) thanks you. Bob

Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #3

Bob- Interesting post as far as it goes. You make me wonder if WRV made an OEM switch from Valvoline Blue 10-40 to Rykon 46. What year & model is your coach? Are you looking to carry spare oil, or do you have a specific need you are addressing?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #4

EngineerMike...Thanks for comeback. As you might guess, new IRV2 user as well as new Alpine owner. Ours is '09 34' FDDS Limited SE, we're wondering if it's not one of the last to come off line(?). Anyway, WRV Owner's Guide (sort'a generic) says to check hydralic fluid level daily (along with lots of other items). I can find big fill cap on top of tank and temp guage on side, but no dipstick or proper level indication. Internet lists "Rycon" as a premium Chevron product. I've also called our dealer, Guaranty RV in Oregon...hoping for a callback with answers. As I said, the Rycon sticker is on side of metal tank which is located passenger side in engine compartment.
Thanks, Bob2
Old 06-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

EngineerMike...sorry, don't know if I have a need or not. Fluid level down about 7 inches. Thanks again. Bob2
Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I replaced the 10-40 oil with Chevron Rycon 46 a few weeks ago (see previous post). The Rycon 46 was was available locally at an oil supply (Google your area)facility. You can pick up a comparable product at most auto parts stores if you don't want to use the Chevron product.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello,

The fluid level indicator is inside the big cap on the tank. You loosen, take off, check the level, the put it back on. At lease that is where mine is.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #8

Jerry, thanks for hint. We're near Norfolk, VA right now with Yellow Pages in hand.
OldRv'er - I'll check cap again. All I saw was the chain keeping cap attached. Guaranty RV did tell me to keep level "at least above filter" in tank. I'm close to that now. Thank you. Bob2 '09 34' FDDS
Old 06-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I'm wrong, and sort of right. The HYD tank in the engine bay, on the passenger side, has two things sticking out of it. The one on mine is closest to the rear of the coach, and is unscrews, and the level in inside of that. I found mine yesterday, checked and it's above add-cold, and below full-cold. Left it alone. There is another silver (mine) thing toward the front of the coach, but that seems to be some kind of filter/expansion thing, as the fluid gets hot the air can escape out of the tank. I took that off, cleaned it up, and screwed it back on good and tight. My concern was I have an ABS light on the screen (yellow) showing, and don't quite know what to do about it.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
On the late "smog" engines/coaches, the tank was changed and the filter changed from the 3 filters in the tank, to a spin on filter. I would assume that Bob2's coach has the Rykon oil in it. WRV was changing out the earlier, 05-07?, coaches to the Rykon oil if there were complaints about brake pedal pressure. My 02 had ATF in the HWH system and the Hydraulic Power Steering/Brakes booster system. My 07 has engine oil in the hydraulic Power Steering/Brakes booster system and Rykon oil in the HWH system. This shows me that WRV was moving to the Rykon oil for all systems.
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, what is the build date of your coach? Mine is June 2006, but it's an 2007.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

Our coach was completed in May 2007. Ours was one of the last 2007's built, SE's, the 2008's started being delivered while we were still at the factory. Yours was probably one of the last 2007 Apex's.
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
All, I am a tad bit confused now. I have the hwd tank in the engine bay. I have a master cylinder in the genset bay for the brakes. Some posts seem to indicate those are related in some why which confuses me. Also, do we have air over hyd brakes; hyd brakes, and some people have air brakes, correct?????

If I have a hyd tank in the engine bay, and the hyd tank and pump up front in the hyd tank bay (passenger side right behind front tire) how do they inter-relate? If they do at all.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #14

Old Rv'er,

There are 3 different hydraulic systems on Alpine Coaches:

1. Hydraulic actuated disc brakes, just like in most cars (sometimes referred to as hydraulic over disc brakes). However, for a short period of time WRV offered air brakes as an option, but few ordered it. There is also an electrically operated brake boost system that operates if the engine is not running. When you push on the brake pedal with the ignition key off, you will hear the electric boost motor operate. The hydraulic brake reservoir and master cylinder are on the outside of the firewall approximately above the GenSet on the driver side. This looks very much what you would see in a normal car.

2. Hydraulic controlled fan for the radiator, hydraulic assisted coach steering, and hydraulic assisted brakes (using the power steering pump). The hydraulic assisted braking system is called a HydroMax Hydraulic Brake Booster. This Brake Booster makes it easier for you to apply sufficient pressure to the braking system with your foot on the brake pedal. The HydroMax Booster gets its power either from the hydraulic power steering pump or, as a backup, from the 12-volt electric boost pump. The hydraulic reservoir is located in the right passenger side of the engine compartment in a very large cylindrical tank.

3. Hydraulic controlled leveling jacks and slide-outs, with the hydraulic system provided by HWH. However, on the early year coaches, the bedroom slide was electrically operated, rather than hydraulic. The hydraulic reservoir, pump, controller, and manifold are located in the small compartment just behind the right, front tire on the passenger side.

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote