Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydraulic fan controller

My hydraulic fan controller is stuck on high and runs on high all the time. Question. Is this okay or should i put a new one on it? I notice the motor and transmission runs cooler with it stuck in high. Your advise will be most appreciated

Dennis
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #2

My advice, get it repaired. Running on high all the time will cost you in horsepower, unnecessarily. Further, it may keep the engine and transmission from operating at the proper temperatures, especially if you are not on the highway or climbing a grade.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hydraulic fan controller

Someone will chime in here for further advise. But ours is doing the same and I have the wax valve in hand. Found on the rear top of the radiator. 36mm fitting with two hydraulic hoses. Need to remove the large pipe from the charge air cooler and the upper radiator tube.
I am waiting to get ours back from Cummings to replace it.

I think that will cure it from all that I have read.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Those fans can suck up a lot of HP at high speed (and than means lower fuel economy).

This chart is from Caterpillar for my C13 (note how much HP is used at high speed):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	256342  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
My hydraulic fan controller is stuck on high and runs on high all the time. Question. Is this okay or should i put a new one on it? I notice the motor and transmission runs cooler with it stuck in high. Your advise will be most appreciated

Dennis
Your 2006 uses an electronic module to control the fan, not the wax valve used on earlier Alpines. The high setting is the default “safe” setting when something goes wrong. It could be as simple as a wiring issue or the module may need to be replaced.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Anyone know the best place to purchase the fan controller?
Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post

Dennis

My bad Dennis!! I responded from my iPhone and it didn't show your coach info.
Mea culpa! You have the correct advice now!
Old 08-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #8

Try Hydro Power in Ocala. It is a Sauer-Danfoss part. Possibly #1091170.
It will need to be programmed. Parameter numbers are on the unit. Expect part to be $700.

There has been some discussion about rebuilding the old part to keep as a spare.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

On the subject of the only the electronic fan controller, and not the wax valve; does anyone know the operational parameters? I realize there are different inputs to the controller, like temperature, ECU, air conditioner on or off, etc.; but was interested in the approximate cut-in and out temperatures of the coolant. Also curious as to whether or not there might be conditions that the fan would not activate.

Incidentally, on the controller's data plate, besides serial number and other identification information, it also shows the programming parameter code. I don't know about all model years, but our '06 has the following:
S/W PARAMETERS: P0184204090A
I wonder if all the 400 ISL's would be using the same program? More than likely Sauer-Danfoss would be the only source for that information.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Those are the same parameter numbers from a unit from a 2005 coach. Engineer Mike has posted that 05-08 years use a PWM signal from the ECU. Quite possibly all have the same parameters. He said ~850 rpm on start up, higher as temps rise.

If I had the brains to link a thread I’d do it. Until then, a search on this forum for hydraulic fan will bring it up. Originally posted by March circa 2011.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

RVPioneer, thank you, I'll continue my research. I have found here on iRV2 that other coach manufacturers such as Country Coach, Monaco, etc. even with the same 400 ISL's have different programming codes from ours. It would be interesting to know whether those codes just denote a particular manufacturer, or if different operational parameters are actually programmed.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #12

I’d imagine similar parameters for all ISL’s. I’d also imagine one group of engineers thought they had a better idea the the other group.

The thread was started by Marca, not March. Spell checker at work.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Just to let everyone to know, The fan controller now has a 1000.00 price tag and takes 12 weeks to get and that's from both danfoss dealers i called. I do radiation protection at nuclear plants and have to leave for New Jersey second week in September so not enough time to get the part. If anyone has any other suggestions it will be most appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #14

You could try sending a PM to Engineermike. He may know of another source or a workaround.

Tags
fan, hydraulic