Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydraulic fluid and filters

I just had the hydraulic system fluid and filters changed at Brazel's in Chehalis, and I have a couple questions. First of all, the replacement fluid they used was Rykon Premium, even though I had specified Valvoline Premium Blue oil—which is what my maintenance manual calls for and which I had used previously. Are there any adverse consequences to this change? They offered to replace it, but told me the Rykon is what they usually use, so I left it as is.

Secondly, the three "Nelson" filters that were changed cost almost $70 each this time, but they were only $8 each last time. What are the experiences of others regarding the cost of these filters?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #2

I am sure there may be a lot of responses on the oil question. I had trucks and equipment for years. Valvoline Premium is a great engine oil but it is not made for pumps. Engine oils have detergents which will foam in pumps. I have no idea why WRV recommended to use 15-40, but I think anybody that knows anything about pumps would not recommend it. If you do a Google search for the Rykon, it looks like a great oil for pumps. There wouldn't be any adverse effects, it might actually make your pump last longer.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I paid about $10 each for the three filters a couple years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #4

Oil will be fine. WRV used the motor oil because they bought it by the drum. You won't have any issues w/the change and probably won't notice any difference in steering, brakes, etc. Earlier they used tranny fluid for hydraulic oil (power steering fluid, brake boost & radiator fan drive) which I believe they were also using in the HWH fill ups. You can use a lot of widely varying oil in the hydraulics.
Unless there is something new going on, like Nelson obsoleted the filters and nobody else is making them yet, that price for the filters is a rip. $20 ea would be on the high side.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

2 months ago I got (3) Nelson 84220A filters from Cummins NW for $8.70 each and I used Dextron 3. At $210 for filters that is over KILL, I would call and try and get a refund on part of the bill
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Brazel's has refunded me the difference in the price of the filters. I want to make it clear that I don't blame Brazel's for this. They have done work for me in the past, and they have always done good work, and I definitely recommend them. Their response to this matter reinforces my recommendation, as they were responsive to my concerns. The problem apparently was with Brazel's supplier, and they are checking into the matter.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

These filters come in a case of 6--requires 3 at a time for a change. Suspect they charged you the unit price based on 6 in a carton vs the three that you needed. Probably explains why they were so motivated to make it right! Agree with EM, hydraulic fluid is probably a better fit than Valoline engine oil for this application...
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

The response sounds typical of Brazel's, it was a simple mistake & they took care of it as soon as it was noticed.
Yet another way iRV2.com is worth more than the paper its printed on.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Just to clarify the problem with the filters so that is does not happen to someone else. The Nelson part # was crossed over to a CarQuest part # 84317 because it was readily available and the Nelson # was not. We were not aware their was such a price discrepancy until after they were already in the coach and John brought it to our attention. We even interchanged it to a Napa # 7317 to see if we were billed incorrectly and it was even more expensive at $99!!! Since John is a valued, returning customer we took the difference and credited him. We certainly learned something new and now hopefully the same thing won't happen to someone else later!
Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Just to clarify the problem with the filters so that is does not happen to someone else. The Nelson part # was crossed over to a CarQuest part # 84317 because it was readily available and the Nelson # was not. We were not aware their was such a price discrepancy until after they were already in the coach and John brought it to our attention. We even interchanged it to a Napa # 7317 to see if we were billed incorrectly and it was even more expensive at $99!!! Since John is a valued, returning customer we took the difference and credited him. We certainly learned something new and now hopefully the same thing won't happen to someone else later!
YOU MOST CERTAINLY WERE AWARE OF THE PRICE DISCREPANCY because you overcharged us in 2009 for the same amount even when I told you where to get the Nelson filters (a month ahead of time) and we did not receive any refund, even though we were promised one! And that is why we found a new place to have our yearly maintenance work done. Yes, you do good work, but you lost our business because of not being up front with us!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Barb,

Someone may have been aware of that situation back in 2009, but our management and office personnel has changed since then and truly no one did know of this issue. Believe me, our intentions are not to overcharge for a filter that we are being overcharged for. I feel bad that a reason such as that has prevented you from coming back to us for service but now that it has been brought to our attention we would like to try to make it right for you. Please email me directly at jon@brazelsrv.com with your mailing address and I will take care of it for you.
Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
www.filterbarn.com for all your filter needs, create an account, and the order to your hearts content, much cheaper than Cummins even with the power club discount. Ours was changed in Phoenix last year while they were fixing the wreck damage, they used the rykon premium oil, but overfilled the reservoir, so I had oil mess to clean up.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Probably spliting hairs here but thought Rykon [46] was a type/brand of hydraulic fluid, not oil--"46" being the ISO number for viscosity. My 03 came with ATF, newer models were filled at the factory with 15W40 and later, concerns about braking led people to the Rykon product. One man's fluid is another man's oil??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Update -

In post #11, Jon Brazel asked me to contact them. I did and they have refunded the overcharge for the filters that occurred to us a few years ago. I did not expect that and really appreciate them going the extra mile to keep their customers. We will continue to recommend them to anyone who needs work done when in the northwest and will certainly consider them for our service when we are once again in the Centralia area.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid