RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

Hydraulic leak

Has anyone removed the hydraulic hose on the rear of this cylinder? Slow leak tried to tighten now fast leak. Any pressure if I unscrew to check fitting?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	258742

Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If the leaking fitting is not squirting oil at the moment then all pressure has already leaked out. Just donít operate the rear slide with the hose loose.

c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

Hydralic leak

Looks like leak is at left edge of left nut. Wonder if that means connector is shot?Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_120557.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	258868
Old 09-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
When tightening the fitting you need to hold the hex nut on the left stationary with one wrench and tighten only the center nut with another wrench. If the nut on the right turns also then you need to tighten it a bit first or hold it stationary with a third wrench while you tighten the center nut (It is awkward with three wrenches but can be done). The nut on the right is tapered pipe thread into the syncro cylinder. HWH says to tighten new fittings 1/3 turn after the fitting is snug and the flare inside the fitting is in contact. Re-tighten a used fitting only 1/4 turn after snug. If the flare inside the fitting is over tightened at some point they quit sealing and you need a new hose. If the leak really is at the left edge of the left nut then I think the swaging is failed and you would then also need a new hose.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the explanation, what do you think about having a new end crimped on?
Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
It could work, but...
A new hose from HWH is maybe $75. I have heard that the hose pairs to the right and left side of the slide rams need to be matched lengths. The original pair of hoses that run to the solenoid manifold are also matched lengths. I don't know if that is important or just the way WRV did it. If you repair the old hose end you may want to add a new short hose with a union to maintain the original hose length.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

You would have to take the hose out to attempt to get it fixed. Just replace the hose with a new one and be done with it. I've replaced 4 already.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Commercial Member

hwh does not recommend replacing hose ends. often the fluid has soaked thru the lining of the hose, and the new fitting doesnt hold.
ive replaced many ends, and some leaked, some didnt. but having to go back, and do it again isnt something most shops do not want to do.
the hoses from the pump to the sync cylinder, or the tee on the extend side can be any length. the hoses from the sync cylinder to the mechanism need to be close in length, within a few inches, and the same for the extend side of the mechanism.
exact length is best.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Thanks, since this hose has no length restrictions I will try to replace the connection. It is a 25.5' hose the snakes from front to back. Any suggestions on a band-ad until I get to a shop?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
Thanks, since this hose has no length restrictions I will try to replace the connection. It is a 25.5' hose the snakes from front to back. Any suggestions on a band-ad until I get to a shop?
Rescue tape.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #11

Thanks RVP tape is holding with no pressure on it.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
I will try to replace the connection
This is how a shop fixed a leak in the very high pressure hose. The tech cut the steel-reinforced hose with a cutoff wheel, eliminating the problem section of that hose. I've lots of tools, but do not have the special tool required for such crimp jobs, which, I believe, withstand 3000psi.

Tags
leak