Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Hydraulic oil pump

Hi. This is our first time posting on IRV2. We have a question about our 2002 36foot Alpine. It is leaking Hydraulic oil. We had it inspected today and were told that the pump may need to be replaced, and soon. The pump is sauer-danfoss but we do not know which model. Does anyone have any idea the numbers that may be associated with this pump?
Alpine2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Do a search on this forum regarding sauer-danfoss--lots of good info on pumps and fan motors. Tracking parts and manufacturer reps is challenging because the company is England-based. Also note that many of the components can be rebuilt vs replaced so be careful when the first solution from a repair facility is replacement. Other owners with direct 2002 Alpine experience will probably chime in to help.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Pump picture

Thanks, Old Scout. Here is a picture of where the leak is. Can anyone identify this for me? Do I just need to tighten it? Do I need to just add a gasket? Are there needle and springs inside here? Is it a pressure switch? As you can tell I am really stumped! Is there a blow up diagram of this somewhere so I can see what I am getting into?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irv.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	59783  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #4

Your arrows are pointing to the threaded plug on the bottom of the pump--assume the threads are leaking verses the pump casting around the plug? If threads are damaged or casting is cracked, you may have a problem. However, a friend of mine [with an 05] had a devil of a time getting this plug to stop leaking after the plug was inadvertantly removed during a fluid change-out. Either by getting a new o-ring [unique design] or adding some thread sealant, or both he was finally able to get the plug to seal. I'll contact him and ask him to jump in with his experience on your thread.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Alp02- One thing you will find in the RV service world is a lot of bad advice. Your service facility jumped to the conclusion you needed to replace the pump. I seriously doubt it (could be, just not likely). Which means they defaulted to an expensive solution rather than a good one. Not sure if I'd take a lot of work to that outfit.
Your best bet with service problems is always to ping this knowledge base. As you can see, Scout has a lead on prior experience w/the same issue. I would do this before any major work.
BTW:
Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Turns out my friend's situation was slightly different--threaded plug was actually cracked. He use hi-strength sealant and a hose clamp [interesting} to "seal the deal". Again, hard to find a manufacture rep for this pump but you can remove the plug [no parts fall out or massive fluid leak behind the plug] and try to find a new o-ring at a hydraulic shop--they may also be able to recommend or provide a suitable sealant as well----good luck and keep us posted.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 04-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

Berendsen Fluid Power sold the pumps to WRV along w/fan motor & fan controls all years. They can provide service parts, tho the lead time may be significant. I had diagnostic work done by the Sacramento location & they were efficient & superb to deal with.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #8

Thanks so much for the information. I will try to call them Monday to see if they have records of the specific pump for WRV Alpine in 2002. We will let you know what we find out.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Alp02- One thing you will find in the RV service world is a lot of bad advice. Your service facility jumped to the conclusion you needed to replace the pump. I seriously doubt it (could be, just not likely). Which means they defaulted to an expensive solution rather than a good one. Not sure if I'd take a lot of work to that outfit.
Your best bet with service problems is always to ping this knowledge base. As you can see, Scout has a lead on prior experience w/the same issue. I would do this before any major work.
BTW:
X2 exactly Mike is right on the money.
For sure a new pump will fix it and while it is off if they find a bad fitting I'd bet they would have charged you for it as well.

In the 8 years I worked in industrial maintenance I've changed hundreds of Hydraulic pumps. I have NEVER seen one leak at the back like the one in post #3 unless it was a fitting problem.
Pumps like that one generally have 1 seal at the shaft, and 2 O-rings on the 2 ends where they meet the center. 99% of the ones I have changes quit pumping the other 1% front seal leaked bad. Never had a o-ring leak either.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

On the pump in question the main (left hand in the photo in post#3) section is aluminum, whereas the section with the leak is steel. You can see the difference in metal color. IIWMI'D take a shot at tightening the fitting. It's one of those got nothing to lose situations.

If it gets worse (which is likely to do on its own anyway, it hasn't leaked for very long), repair is more urgent. If it Spa the leak then Voila! Money & stress saved with a little initiative.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

I am interested in the outcome of this as I also have a slight leak at the pump. I am not sure if that plug is the problem, it just happens to be the low point at which the oil can drip from. I have ignored it up till now as the fluid level has not dropped enough to be of concern but it is on my list of things to fix, sometime.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #12

Keeping you posted

Thanks for all the input.
So far we have called the hydraulic manufacturer that sold the pumps to WRV. They do not keep records that far back so they referred us to a hydraulic shop in Tualitin, OR, that might be able to fix the problem. They said try giving it a "little" turn to see if that helped any, but they are pretty confident they can fix the leak.

We aslo called Cummins in Yakima and the gentleman we spoke with said he might know someone who can give us the information about the specific hydraulic pump.

We will let you know how it goes.
Steve and Karen
Alpine 2002
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #13

"To all those interested, we have had the problem fixed, but it wasn’t easy.
If you remember, it was the relief valve on the hydraulic pump which was the culprit.

Name:   pic1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  29.0 KB
It ended up that the cap was so corroded that it had cracked and thus created the leak.

Name:   pic2,5.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:   pic2.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  28.5 KB

When the technician removed the relief valve from the pump, the five gallons of oil began to run down his arm and into his coveralls; he quickly put a rag over the opening and had someone run and get a bucket to put the oil in. So, if you are going to try this at home, be prepared! The oil does all come running out.
After they removed the valve and discovered the leak it became a search for a new part. What they discovered was heart wrenching to all RVers, the pump is made to order in England and would take 8 weeks to get here, that’s right EIGHT WEEKS! We were stranded in the parking lot not knowing what to do.

The pump is made by Dynamatic in the UK. The part number for the pump is 550135765160160. This pump would cost $1,030 before shipping.

A metal fabrication shop next to us took interest in the stranded couple, us, and suggested we have a new cap fabricated at a near by machine shop. We were grasping at anything because we had plans for the motorhome in the next four weeks including traveling to our daughter’s wedding, eight weeks weren’t going to work for us!

We sent the valve to the shop, said a prayer, and called our son to come pick us up (we were 1 1/2 hours from home).
Here are several pictures of the valve and the cap. The first two pictures show the valve sitting in the cap, it is NOT screwed all the way in. The next picture shows you the valve and the cap separated. The valve had two shims, one thick and one thin, a spring and a sliding piece which opens under high pressure to allow the fluid to flow.

Name:   pic3.jpeg
Views: 647
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:   pic4.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:   pic5.jpeg
Views: 675
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:   pic6.jpeg
Views: 640
Size:  26.8 KB

The next morning we drove back to the shop to discover the part had already been installed! Hip, hip, hooray!!
We had an extra cap made so we were able to show you before and after photos.

Name:   pic7.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:   last.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  20.7 KB

We hope this helps out anyone else who is having this problem.
A shout out goes to FUSION Manufacturing in Tualatin, Oregon, for suggesting to have the piece made and Premier Hydraulic Services for all the technical help and custom work. Without them we might have been driving down the freeway when the cap decided to break instead of just crack and spilled all 5 gallons at once; then we would have been REALLY stranded, and possibly for EIGHT WEEKS!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #14

Ref my earlier input on this thread--seems too coincidental that both the cap/plugs on my friend's 05 and your rig cracked. His cracked as a likely result of attempting to remove it as a means of draining fluid--curious if yours happened in a similar manner vs just cracking during normal ops--did someone attempt a fluid change for you recently????
New Braunfels, Texas