Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #1

Hydraulic power loss

Have lost power to our hydraulics.
The smart beds, levelling jacks & Living Rm Slide can't be operated.
Checked the solinoid 12 volt power on the inner side was there, but nothing on the outer side solinoid.
Without warning, just couldn't get the smart beds to go in.

Has anyone else had this same experience.
Appreciate any advice.

Verna
SRX Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! I have moved your post to the Alpine Owner's section so hopefully it will get more visibility and someone can help. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Verna-
1) Definitely
2) Coupla possibilities on the HWH thing- first your "pump" solenoid could be toast, mine bit the dust. There are two solenoids strapped to the pump motor. The one w/the fat red wire that disappears into the frame is the "main" solenoid, the other is the Pump solenoid. Your HWH controls have to power the pump solenoid to activate the pump and the solenoid has to work. On mine the pump solenoid is the outboard one. You can check for +12V on the small studs to the pump solenoid when you push a SmartBed switch, and one of them should be getting battery voltage. If it is then the solenoid is bad. You can "Search" on pump solenoid here on iRV2's Apline Coach forum for replacement info.
Second, there is a fuse somewhere in the mess of tangled wiring that is needed for the setup to operate; you have to root around & find it to see if its blown. This will take some searching as the mess of wiring is formidable.
Third, your controls could be screwy, not too likely since SB's & the HWH pad are mostly separated.
Fourth, could be a motherboard problem. There is a motherboard fuse & LED schematic on the ACA Tech Library under HWH stuff that can give a wealth of info about what signals are being called for & which are being sent out from the motherboard into the wiring loom (iirc yellow LEDs indicate signal called for & red = signal out on applicable pin).
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
SRX,

I echo Mike in welcoming you to IRV. I had a similar problem recently and found that the 40amp fuse holder was toast.

Let us know what you find!

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

Thanks Mike, we had a RV repair fellow come to check our Hyrdraulic problem out, & of course the first time he tries the switch it works, so things seem to have checked out ok, so he feel it could be a low voltage problem, as the house batteries are 5 yrs old. But would come back if we encounter any further problems with it.
Appreciate your suggestions & advise, it was very helpful.

Verna
SRX Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I had the same problem with smart beds. Some times they would work and sometimes they wouldn't. The connections to the solenoids were somewhat loose. I tightened them, and all is well now.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

HWH is powered off chassis batteries, not house. Same issues if low voltage.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bad Batteries will show up in a number of ways, your example is just one, things work, then they don't. This is regardless of shore power or not. One RV we had would sound the propane alarm at 1 am every night, had the batteries checked, all had dead cells, replaced them, and never heard from that alarm again, scared us to the next county when it went off.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

Hi, I have had this happen a few times. I cleared it by shutting down the batteries, both chassis and house and then shutting down the inverter so everything power wise is off (including the shore power cable) and then rebooting the systen with chassis switch first, then the house battery switch and finally the inverter. It seems to clear this problem up as well as others that are electrical in nature. Might try it and see if it helps you.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
You have described my first "roadie" after purchasing our coach. Just parked at a camp in Idaho in 112 degree weather. Hooked up, jacks down and ran out all the slides. Later I tried to open a smart bed, and nothing happened. Oh no! After borrowing a meter from Gary Arnold (who just happened to be in the same park), I was poking around in the HWH cabinet. All of sudden, when messing around with the wires I heard the solenoid click. Upon further inspection, discovered that the nut that holds down one of the ring terminals on the solenoid was loose. Intermittent connection. Tightened all the connections and have never had another problem. WRV is famous for loose electrical connections from the factory - I'd start there.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power