Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Hydraulic problem!!! Need some help. Quick!

We just drove a couple hours away to visit friends and upon arrival our hydraulic leveling system doesn’t... room slides don’t...smart drawers aren’t...
I hear the hydraulic pump running but nothing moves. Oil level in reservoir is about half full. And it far now and pouring rain. Any help out there?
Bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Year, make and model would help.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #3

I don’t know why that info doesn’t show. It’s on my profile but I’m using my iPhone so maybe that’s why.
Anyway 2007 Alpine apex 40’
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are there any signs of hydraulic fluid leaking underneath the RV?

Do you have any fluid with you?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like a problem I hard with my coach.

Try this first....
1 Reboot your Vansco
2 Unplug, wait a minute then replug the power to your TM102 on the passenger side behind door where you have access to the holding tanks.

The TM102 is your Silverleaf control unit that controls jacks, rooms, tank readings and other functions on the coach. It's a black box about 8X4X1 with several plugs, some look like telephone lines.

If that doesn't work it could be bad plug wire into HWH system. (that was my problem and it took a long time to finally isolate the problem). Also could be a few other things.

Let us know of your progress.
Good Luck
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

From your description, the level in the reservoir is low. It should be filled to the proper level. That may not be the cause of the problem but it would indicate the presence of a leak should the level become low again.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
From your description, the level in the reservoir is low. It should be filled to the proper level. That may not be the cause of the problem but it would indicate the presence of a leak should the level become low again.

CORRECT!

Hydraulic fluid is not "used"/consumed.

So, if low, there IS a leak. Find that. Fix it and bring fluid level to proper level.

If that doesn't fix it, THEN go deeper.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

I’m off to grab some hydraulic fluid. Not sure if that will solve it because I opened and closed the smart beds and front cap before we left and they worked fine. No signs of a leak yet.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
The fluid could possibly be the problem, but likely it would not quit suddenly.

The Apex slides and jacks work from inside the coach through the Silverleaf and also has an auxiliary pump (2 pumps), but the auxiliary pump will only work from the hard wired switched behind the door that houses the HWH system. Be sure the master switch in the HWH bay is on and the switch is on main. IF the switch is on Auxiliary, the pump will run but not move the jacks or slides from inside the coach. Try switching to auxiliary and using the hard wired switches in the HWH bay to open slides or drawers. If that works, then it's not fluid. Then it could be electrical. Remember, the Apex works through the Silverleaf and the Alpine Limited works from a key pad that is hard wired from the keyboard.

The drawers on my coach can only be controlled from the outside hard wired switches.

Also the plugs used on the Apex for the HWH system have a green removable center divider that feeds the Silverleaf. If that plug or divider is cracked or damaged, you could get all kind of symptoms.

Keep us posted
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Commercial Member

hi jim, we know that for a fact.
paul
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Found the issue. And it’s a biggie. Exhaust duct came off of the back of the turbo which is at the front end of the engine. The pipe dropped down and melted a small hole in a hydraulic line below it. So now I can’t access the pipe from above because the bedroom slide won’t open... manual opening possible???
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Can you duct tape the line enough to get it open? you may need to add fluid.
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #13

So just above the rear drive line in between the engine and the axle I found a 1/2” hydraulic line broke off at a union to another length of line. But I cannot find the other end.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking View Post
So just above the rear drive line in between the engine and the axle I found a 1/2” hydraulic line broke off at a union to another length of line. But I cannot find the other end.
Found the other end. It goes to the actuator for the bedroom slide. No way to remove the line and have one made without opening the slide somehow I fear. So I’m off to try and get a splice piece made to make it work. Then I can open the slide, remove the step panel in front of the closet which will allow me access to replace the exhaust clamp on back of the turbo. Assuming I can find said clamp in Ridgefield WA on a Sunday.

Tags
hydraulic, problem