Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #1

If you don't know what a hydraulic pump failure means-no steering, no brakes and no cooling fan. Occurance did strand me, less than 15 miles from home, but was not that dramatic. Steering became slugglish but you could steer as long as I was still moving. Electric brake motor took over so I did actually have brakes. Also lost the air pump and thus suspension. Also since I didn't have hydraulic pressure the parking brake would not release. Was somewhat difficult for the tow truck to get under the front of the coach. Ended up using the front jacks to lift up enough to allow the boom under the front of the coach. Also had to disconnect the drive shaft. Was about 1 mile away from a big truck service shop who is doing the work.

Could not tell I was having a problem going down the road, but when I got out to check the toad I could hear some loud extra noises. Never found the problem till it broke.

What happened was the bolts holding the air compresser on became loose and allowed a certain amount of movement. Finally broke the air compresser crank (about 1" diam). Hydraulic pump is connected to the air pump. Did not loose the hydraulic oil, but got engine oil all over.

Now we all know to check the bolts on the air pump.

Only good news is I seem to have found a good local shop to work on the coach.

Bill Evans
98 36SDS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #2

If you don't know what a hydraulic pump failure means-no steering, no brakes and no cooling fan. Occurance did strand me, less than 15 miles from home, but was not that dramatic. Steering became slugglish but you could steer as long as I was still moving. Electric brake motor took over so I did actually have brakes. Also lost the air pump and thus suspension. Also since I didn't have hydraulic pressure the parking brake would not release. Was somewhat difficult for the tow truck to get under the front of the coach. Ended up using the front jacks to lift up enough to allow the boom under the front of the coach. Also had to disconnect the drive shaft. Was about 1 mile away from a big truck service shop who is doing the work.

Could not tell I was having a problem going down the road, but when I got out to check the toad I could hear some loud extra noises. Never found the problem till it broke.

What happened was the bolts holding the air compresser on became loose and allowed a certain amount of movement. Finally broke the air compresser crank (about 1" diam). Hydraulic pump is connected to the air pump. Did not loose the hydraulic oil, but got engine oil all over.

Now we all know to check the bolts on the air pump.

Only good news is I seem to have found a good local shop to work on the coach.

Bill Evans
98 36SDS

Old 03-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #3

Bill, How many miles on your rig when the fit hit the shan? And ISC or ISL?
(I keep PM specs in my PDA on stuff like this) Thanks, Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #4

About 60 k miles. C8.3TA

Bill Evans
Old 03-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I had a similar problem with my '98 36SDS at 70 mph on the freeway. The Cummins diagnosis was that the hydraulic pressure was excessive and caused the chain reaction. Hydraulic pressure on that rig is regulated by "shims" placed in the hydraulic fan motor. The factory is supposed to get this right, but not perfect all the time. This happened to me at about 20K miles. You also need to know that the original fan mounting bracket was redesigned and made stronger; mine had only three metal supports and two were broken completely. Better get this checked out before you lose a radiator! Remember, the '98's were the beginning and lots has changed since then.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote