Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydraulic radiator fan

not sure how to explain this but will try. normally when traveling when the water temp rises you can here the hydraulic fan speed up and then slow down when the temp go back down and i think that is the normal way the hydraulic fan works? Now, it seems when we crank the coach the hydraulic fan is locked in full even when the water temp is low and going down the road the hydraulic fan is always locked in high and you can here it very well. it has never acted that way before. is there some kind if thermostat on the fan that could have went bad? your help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

Time to do a search on the forum--there is a lot of info on what you are describing. Could be other things but sounds like the electronic fan controller on you 06 has failed. Failed condition is full on, regardless of engine temp--a fairly common issue for 2004 and newer coaches with electronic controllers ......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout failed to mention, what he taught me, that fan will run full speed if dash air conditioning is on. I know it is winter; but you are in Florida. Turn off dash AC and see if fan slows down. If not, then it may indeed be the fan controller.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
zinom, Thanks but we did not have the ac on. I believe old scout is correct about the electronic fan controller and now i hope i can find one?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #5

Here is some info on it
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #6

fan

There is a part called a "wax" valve. It controls when the fan motor comes on. It is only about 4 inches long and the sucker is expensive. I had it replaced only to fine out the fan motor itself was bad. The part is around $700. If you find out that is what is bad (and a wax valve from a C15 is the same as yours) i still have the used one from my coach I will sell you cheap. Good luck
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Stick with input from Alpine owners--no "wax valves" in Alpines since 2003. Could be a faulty temp sensor but based on other Alpine owners' experiences--probably the controller.....
PS-- not familiar with the after-market wax valve offered above--agree that the mechanical wax valve has proven to be pretty reliable. However, like earlier Alpines[like my 03] the wax valve only reacts to engine coolant temps. Consequently, you will lose the dash A/C interface to the controller--no fan control when A/C condensor needs air flow.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Just replaced the one on my Alpine.

Saur Danfoss hydraulic fan controller # 1091170

Purchased thru Berendsen Fluid Power in Atlanta GA

They got it from Danfoss in England. It took 6 weeks. $580

New part number 11163032

Came programmed for Alpine

New part has extra wires not used for Alpine

Part number is stamped on controller manifold. Yours should be the same, but check first.

Bolted on the frame rail close to the fan motor.

Should be able to order thru any hydraulic shop that works on Danfoss motors/pumps

08 34-ft fdds
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Dennis,
I have a 2005 40' Alpine and replaced my hydraulic fan controller in October. Good test is to start the vehicle cold and go back by the radiator. The fan will be running, not idling. Have your spouse rev the engine and the fan will match the engine revs. This is a clear indicator you have issues with your controller or the electronic feed to it. Talking with the factory, 99 percent of the time it's the controller that's gone bad. I ordered my part from Berendsen Fluid Power Inc, Spokane, WA (509)535-4281--11162963 FDCA Unit (this is the replacement part number). It was a little over $500. The part is easy to replace yourself, though expect to get some hydraulic fluid on you. As in earlier posts, it bolts near the fan motor (2 bolts) has 2 hydraulic lines that unbolt running to it, and a clip. The new version has a separate sensor plug that hangs loose after you've got it installed. I can send photos. Engine consistently runs at 200 degrees now vs the 180 degrees from before and I no longer have the roar of the fan!
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Free2Go, if you could post pics that would be great! Thanks for you help!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #11

Radiator Fan Sauer-Danfloss Controller

Recent quote from Berendsen Fluid Power was $537 and 9 week delivery.

file:///C:/Users/BT%20LAPTOP/Desktop...%201091170.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160202_151518820.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	118281

BTF

Tags
fan, radiator