Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydro-Hot

when using the hot water, the water is getting cold before the hydro hot systems fires up and heats the water. Anyone know what would cause this to happen? use to kick on before the water would get cold so there would be continuous hot water but now the water gets cold before the hydro hot fires back up.

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #2

As I understand your info, the Hydro Hot lights but not soon enough. I leave the electric on when connected to power which maintains the water temp.

Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
yes, the hydro hot fires up but the water gets cold first
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, Roger Burke's forum would be the absolute best place to pose this question. He'll most likely want to know your model number and which lights are lit on your panel in the wet bay behind the door.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #5

I had another thought about your HH while in the shower this AM. If the water gets "cool" before the diesel burner lights, the "stir pump" may not the working. If the LED for the stir pump is on, check the stir pump inlet and outlet hose temps with your hands. Both hoses should feel about the same temp. If the stir pump LED is not lit, run some hot water. If it doesn't turn on, you have other problems.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Wil Rathke, The HH will get the water hot, but its not kicking on before the water gets cold. seems like after the water gets cold the HH will eventually kick on and heat the water. could this be the stir pump is not working correctly like you mentioned? so if your in the shower the water will get cold before the HH will kick on.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

I had a stir pump failure and the technician said this was a symptom.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
What is the water pressure? I have found that high pressure, 80+ pounds and having the valve open full, will cause the same symptoms, regulate the pressure or the out flow at the shower. Too much pressure will cause the HH to be overrun and go cool/cold.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #9

on each output there is a brass check valve, I believe the check valve for hot water is on the "rear" of the unit, so its hard to get to it. sometimes a check valve will stick, I had that on mine on a heating zone. One modest wrap w/handle of large screw driver & it opened right up (stir pump was spinning) & heat flowed. Never happened again & I never replaced the valve.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
All - The stir-pumps are magnetic in some nature and they need to be run every month, as all systems do to keep things working. If you have heat pumps/ac's, I use those to cool coach down to 60 in summer, then the HH unit to heat it back up and that way those systems get their exercise, using the generator to do this thing since Onan's manual says it should run two hours a month under half load. Keeping things stirred up keeps them working.

Mike's solution is the defacto fix unless the pump is leaking then it needs to be replaced.

Sounds like your issues is with one of the sensors, do you have any red lights on the board? Do you have enough boiler antifreeze in the unit? That alone will keep it from working correctly. What is the model number? Found on the data tag on front of cover. The mixing valve could have failed, they do, hopefully, WRV or someone put an access cover underneath the coach so you can get to the back of the unit, if not, you need to pull it out, that is what we had to do to fix ours, forgot to put in an access cover. A 4" deck plate, which can be found at boat supply houses is a good idea, put it in good side down, so you can easily unscrew it when the need arises. I would not just drill, and such to install it, tanks are located very close to the back of the HH unit, you need to make this install from the inside of the coach, so you do not hurt anything.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
This is picture of the rear of a Hydro Hot I took in the parking lot at Guaranty RV. Some poor guy had extensive damage on the passenger side and the side was wide open. WRV installed the HH in the chassis shop and then they built the coach around it. They did not provide access to the rear of it and an access hole must be cut underneath to work on it. Anyway on the 2006 Apex was built that way. Not sure if all years/models are that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004B.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	84226  

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote