Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '05 38 FDTS. The Hydro Hot compartment does not have gas shocks on the door so every time I go into the compartment I have to hold the door up. The dealer tells me none of them do. Additionally, every time I change the power, connect to shore power or change to the inverter, the low voltage cut out triggers and I have to reset it. Obviously I need to get into the compartment quite often. Does anyone with a '05 38 FDTS have the same problems?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '05 38 FDTS. The Hydro Hot compartment does not have gas shocks on the door so every time I go into the compartment I have to hold the door up. The dealer tells me none of them do. Additionally, every time I change the power, connect to shore power or change to the inverter, the low voltage cut out triggers and I have to reset it. Obviously I need to get into the compartment quite often. Does anyone with a '05 38 FDTS have the same problems?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #3

I too was surprised at the lack of gas shock. Tried to figure out how to mount one - just not enough space along the edges of the opening.
I had the low voltage thing happen once when I first got the coach in April. Hasn't happened since. It's obviously no news to you, but I would say you do have a problem somewhere. Sorry can't be more help.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #4

It won't be a "Gaspring" but it will keep the door open.

Mount a tension spring between the body and door. When the door is opened, the spring will straighten and go "coil to coil", becoming a rigid support. When you want to close the door, push in on the middle of the spring so it will fold and allow you to close the door.
All that is required is a 1/2" diameter spring about a foot long, 4 1/4-20 nuts, 4 lockwashers, 4 bolts and 2 small pieces of angle-iron. Almost any good hardware store will have the pieces.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Dave & Bobbi,

We have an 05 40' FDTS and had same problem. Jim just ordered the two bottom brackets and two gas shocks from WRV. He says they were the same as the bay in front, so he ordered the same ones that were on the bay in front. It was an easy install.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote