Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

That would be the best solution, and what I was going to suggest to WRV. The problem is, where can they be placed. I was hard pressed to find any areas now and couldn't see any ways that it could be done without compromising the Alpine design. I have found that, with some work, the present system can be made quite usable. The only area that I feel compelled to work on right now, is the bathroom. That will be one of my next projects.

The baseboard heat exchangers sound intriguing, if there is a place to put them.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #16

Dale, as soon as I finish up my surround sound and LED TV upgrade. I plan on tackling the HH issue. I will start by converting the closet heater to assist in bedroom heating. I am considering adding a switch next to the bed to turn the fans on and off. I got a feeling it may overwhelm my side of the bed. I am leaning toward adding 2 cozy heat exchangers on the basement loop with an additional thermostat in the bath area. I would add one unit dedicated to the shower and one to the lav area. I probably will install the shower unit directly below the shower in the tank bay. There is plenty of room to put a heat exchanger in the Lav sink cabinet.

I would think the unit below the kitchen drawers could be relocates attached directly to the register. The one under the coach could be moved to the edge of the coach platform. Now if I could figure out how to add one to the passenger side slide area.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #17

I'm not sure how the Cozy's are powered, if direct off the HH circuit board or thru relays. Before adding several I'd check that out (& rated capacity of the HH fan circuit) or default to running relays that run the fans. They can't be very high draw but they'd add up.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #18

Emike, on mine loop 3 only has one cozy heat exchanger on it so it SB fine adding 2. Relays are a good Idea anyhow.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

Are you going to be at DRR? If so look me up and we can brain storm.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
One thing I have not heard anyone talk about are the hoses from the HH to the cozy. I do not see ANY insilation on them. I am thinking of adding some, had anyone done that?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #21

Dale, no we are headed from South Texas to Florida to join up with our friends from TableRock Lake.

DrDaveCa, Insulating the boiler lines would sure help with HH efficiency but I doubt you would see much change in heating ability. The HH IMHO has more BTU capacity than we can use.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
I agree,the HH puts out plenty of heat, however what countss is the temperature of what gets to the cozy, and I fugure if we can raise that temperature 10 degrees, it has to help reduce the amount of run time on the HH thus less wear anf tear and less fuel (I know at 1/3 of a gallon per hour it is not much) however warmer temperatures in the coach might make it worth the time (maybe just insulate the lines to the front unit since it is relatively easy to access and is the farthest from the HH as well as the area we spend the most time in).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the link to the cozy III Heat Exchanger: https://www.aquahotparts.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/itemDetail.aspx?&page=&store=&itemNum=EXE-103-0EX&siteId=1&bulkexists=0

The plumbing to the unit is 3/4" PEX hot water pipe (RED) for the delivery side and cold PEX water pipe for the return. You mate to each HE with radiator hose, because it’s heat rated, and there is virtually no “pressure” on the system. See how some of the present HE’s are installed and follow that lead. My suggestion would be to double clamp each PEX/Radiator Hose connection to make sure you don’t have leaks. The pex should go inside the radiator hose, and you will have to experiment to get the right size, but I think it’s 1” or 1/14” hose.

I don't know for sure, but I think each "Zone" is plumbed in "series", and you can do the same if you add registers.

There are two additional heat exchangers that are available; you will need to call HH directly to talk to them about those. One of them uses a whole lot of amps, so you need to balance that against your capacity of batteries. It has two or three switched fan speeds if I remember correctly. The cozy III's do fine if the air restrictions WRV introduced with the ribbed flex hose and weird assembly can be mitigated or eliminated to some degree.

One other thing to check is to make sure the current fans are both running, one owner reported (not alpine) he had to replace two of them since they quit. Dale G, knows of a website which sells "silent fans" and those have a little higher air flow, you will need to make sure they match electrically with the cozy III units.

The Cozy III's are hooked up to the HH control board or into relays if your unit is real old. I don't recommend changing the electrical part of the system because you then "own" the unit, by own, if you change it from the origianl manfacturer, you now become the manfacturer of the unit, and if it causes a fire, burns the coach down to the frame rails, your insurance company can deny the claim to pay for it. Something to think about.