RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hydro Hot Exhaust

Anyone have a problem with the hydro hot exhaust smell inside the motorhome? If so, is there a fix for that? Thank you in advanced

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

….just like your genset exhaust......build a DIY exhaust stack for your Hydro-hot or buy a commercial product off the internet....if your slides seals are leaking, not a lot you can do to retrofit a solution....."assume" you are doing your annual preventive maintenance on your HH unit?????

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout. Yes doing the annual maintenance. Just always get that exhaust smell. Seals seam ok. What commercial product?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, occasionally. Usually due to one of the fantastic fans on while Aqua-hot is running. Make sure bedroom windows are closed, and open curbside window in living room.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #5

PS--there is some possibility that you have a leak in the existing exhaust pipe--most pipes run from front to back and have several bends.... there appears to be one or more small, purpose-built holes at the low points in the pipe to allow moisture to escape?????--this shouldn't be the issue....
Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
PS--there is some possibility that you have a leak in the existing exhaust pipe--most pipes run from front to back and have several bends.... there appears to be one or more small, purpose-built holes at the low points in the pipe to allow moisture to escape?????--this shouldn't be the issue....

This post has me curious. I have looked at the exhaust for the HH and wondered about a genturi type of exhaust extension, either buying or building. The issue I see is the heat generated by the HH burner. I'm not sure PVC would hold up and I'm thinking a metal extension would run hot enough to be a hazard or a liability.

I haven't noticed the HH exhaust on other Alpines, my brother has a regular furnace and water heater in his '05. My exhaust is about 3' long and made of approx. 2" galvanized pipe. The pipe exits right in front of the rear duals. Is that how it is supposed to be or has it been modified??

Also I don't have any exhaust smell inside the coach when the HH is in use.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

….DIY or commercially procured....these exhaust pipe extensions rely on the venturi effect to mix outside air with exhaust as it travels up the extension....PVC works in cooler weather but metal pipe is more desirable for year-round use.....
Old 11-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

Dennis, all of these suggestions are great; but there were some 2006 models that WRV ran a short exhaust out the left side and people complained about the odor coming in the windows. For those owners, Western rerouted the exhaust all the way aft of the rear cap - I believe this became the standard configuration. Our '06, as delivered new, had the HydroHot exhaust routed to the rear and has never been a problem. If you have the aft exhaust it might be a good idea to give the entire burner area an inspection as well as the full length of the exhaust pipe. If you have any problems in the burner you might have something a lot more serious than just an exhaust problem.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dick. Thanks for the info.Ours comes out just before the rear tires and we have always had this problem. Guess i will try to find someone to rout it out the rear cap.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Dennis, moving the exhaust to exit the rear should definitely help to resolve the problem. Isn't it amazing how WRV, at least in the same model year as our 2006's, changed the exhaust configuration and never notified owners that there was "A better way?" More than likely you as well as I have seen other coach brands that have the HydroHot exhaust exiting somewhere along the side of the coach; it is definitely not unusual. I have often wondered how many have the same complaint as yours. It does take several exhaust hangers; and in some areas you might also want to consider adding some type of insulating "fire-sleeve" material if it looks like a hot section of the exhaust may be near some component or structure that might not do well with additional heat. Only a suggestion, but it should be evident when you do the modification.

Tags
exhaust