Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #1

New to Hydro Hot with this coach. What's going on when the fans are running and the air blowing out the vents is cool to lukewarm. Sometimes the furnace is on, sometimes off.
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #2

New to Hydro Hot with this coach. What's going on when the fans are running and the air blowing out the vents is cool to lukewarm. Sometimes the furnace is on, sometimes off.
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #3

David,

Good chance zone 1 and 2 have the fans tied to the wrong zones. Mine had zone 1 fans comming on when zone 2 was heating and vise versa. Seems to be comon mistake in 05.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
David,

The "furnace" (diesel burner) only runs as necessary to keep the water in the unit hot and will cycle as needed. The air coming out the vents will never be as hot as a propane furnace, the heat produced by hot water not a propane flame. As in any heater the air temperature of the output air is dependent on the air its heating. When the coach is cold the air coming out will not be only lukewarm as the coach warms up the air should then get warm but not real hot. This is more noticeable with the lower temperature from the water heated heat exchangers used in this system than in a propane system. I posted some information on things to look for in this system, to make it work better, here.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9686094452/m/...011010634#5011010634

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

How is the water temperature, is your water hot out of the faucet, if not you can raise it with a knob on the back side of the unit. Should be at least 120 degrees which can be measured with a meat thermometer.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Nick,

The adjustment for hot water out of the unit is only on the Aqua Hot units not the Hydro Hot ones. I am not sure when this change occurred, The Aqua Hot being the later unit. This adjustment only affects the hot water out to the faucets and not the water in the tank like a regular water heater. The interior coach heating system gets its water from the tank direct. I adjusted my output down to protect from scalding when bumping the shower valve handle.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #7

Dale
My Hydro Hot has a temperature knob adjustment. I have a 2005 limited. My water temp was also scaling. I replaced that lousy shower faucet with a Moen and turn the temperature down from 140 degrees to 126 degrees. I am not aware of any tank on the Hydro Hot. Water temperature is the same for the faucets and the room heating on mine.
Nick
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #8

Just to add a little more about Hydro Hot, the knob I'm referring to is called the MIXER VALVE. This mixes cold water to drop the temperature on the water. It is not mentioned in the manual. It is shown on the rear diagram in the manual. Be careful to make minor adjustments, it can go from hot to scolding real quick. My wife had to climb into the space to turn the knob, I'm to fat to reach it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Nick,

There is a tank inside of the Aqua Hot unit. This tank holds the water with antifreeze and is used to circulate through the heat exchangers to heat the coach interior and basement. The hot water for the domestic supply is supplied by potable water being passed through a heat exchanger inside the tank. The valve on the back of the Aqua Hot units is a water mixing valve only. It mixes the very high temperature water from the heat exchanger with cold water to produce water at a usable temperature. The water lines for the interior heating come from the tank directly not through the heat exchanger. Here is a much better explanation than mine, it shows a bigger unit but the same basic design.

http://www.holidayramblerrv.com/holi...terheater.html

The Hydro Hot units might have an adjustable thermostat for the tank, I am pretty sure that the Aqua Hot's thermostat for the tank is electronic in the main control.

Dale
Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #10

Dale I stand corrected. Room temp is not controlled by hot water.
Thanks
Nick
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #11

DSHogman,
during the 2005 run of motorhomes there was a mistake made on a certain number of Alpine's whereas the circulator pumps/blowers and zonal wiring was mistaken. I certainly have the problem also. It will NEVER get warm in the bedroom. The Kitchen/front is fine. You can run the Hydro-hot all day and it will make no difference. This is one of my problems for the Factory to fix when I get there...I just cannot figure out why so cold in the bedroom.I tried to figure this one myself but could only get so far- Maybe you have the same problem, it appears you also have a 2005....
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #12

Dale- Did you know you can trade your 2007 shower valve on the nice 2008 valve? We traded our 2006 one in, and we love our new shower valve.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #13

EMike-

Can you trade the valve without trading the whole coach?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #14

That appears to be the fiscally intelligent choice. Wish I'd thought of it