Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Hydro Hot leaking

Anyone having trouble with their Hydro Hot leaking anti-freeze? Or you might have parts for this unit?
Smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Smed, What year is your Alpine? I ask because Vehicle systems who makes the HH (aqua hot) used a pex (plastic) drain valves for years. They fatigue after time and start leaking. That is the area that usually leaks first. The stir pumps are easily damage also and not cheap. I have also heard of the mixing valve leaking and the boiler.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

AquaHot (formerly Vehicle Systems that sold diesel heaters under HydroHot & AquaHot brand names) is still in business. And there are independent service vendors who do service and sell parts as well as the AHot mothership.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

Emike, I did not realize they changed their name. I'm bad.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

My Alpine is a 2005 model
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Back in December 2005, my Aqua-Hot developed a diesel leak. When I had the service people finally look at it, they started to fix the obvious problems, then discovered an internal coolant leak. The entire unit had to be replaced with a rebuilt one. Wasn't cheap but had to be done.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

Thanks. Yes the re-built cost is $6,700.00 plus labor. Guess I'll pull it out myself and see if I can repaire it myself. Extended Service Plan by Good Sam advises it leak is caused by rust or freeze not covered. Only way to be sure is to send it back to company to see why it's leaking.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

Smed, Check this site out. Roger usually has better prices than Aqua Hot. RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home .
Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Thanks. Yes the re-built cost is $6,700.00 plus labor. Guess I'll pull it out myself and see if I can repaire it myself. Extended Service Plan by Good Sam advises it leak is caused by rust or freeze not covered. Only way to be sure is to send it back to company to see why it's leaking.
Smed,

I had Roger do my yearly maintenance this past January. He's one of the "Best" in the industry. You won't go wrong by him.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Leaking HydroHot

From the time we took delivery of our 2006 Alpine coach in the spring of 2007 we had a leak in our HydraHot system that turned out to be a defective heat exchanger. Your symptoms seem very similar to ours.

We didn’t realize we had a problem until that fall when we couldn’t generate hot water. I immediately replenished the heat exchange fluid and took it to Guaranty RV in October for what should have been a simple warranty problem. The Guaranty technician apparently tightened all the connections he could reach and said it was “good to go”.

As you can guess, the system continued to leak. At the FMCA rally at Pomona HydroHot sent a technician out to examine our coach. Unfortunately, we cannot remember his name, but he is from Colorado and is well known to all HydroHot personnel. He quickly determined we had a defective heat exchanger, and wrote up his findings on his invoice.

When we asked the HydroHot show booth personnel who should fix the problem. They sent a technician from our area out to verify the problem. You guessed it! He said we did not have a bad part, only leaky connections and proceeded to tighten them. And, of course, that did nothing to fix the problem. After the show, we contacted this person and told him we still had a defective heat exchanger. He stuck to his original position and refused to order the required part unless we paid for it upfront.

Ultimately, we took the rig back to Guaranty and ordered them to replace the heat exchanger. Reluctantly, they finally did and found that it indeed was leaking. A new part was installed and the system has worked flawlessly since.

Guaranty then submitted the warranty bill to HydroHot along with sending the part back to the company. HydroHot refused to pay for any of the warranty parts and labor because they said it was more that two years since they shipped the original unit. Even though we had a paper trail that conclusively proved that we identified the problem long before the two-year warranty period, HydroHot has never paid our claim.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #11

Joel, was it th mixing valve that was leaking? Changing the heat exchanger is a big deal and to my knowledge requires replacing the whole unit. I have read where some have cut open the bigger Aqua hot and replaced the hot water heat exchanger but I did not know it was possible on the HH. I guess anything is possible but maybe not cost effective.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
All, Aqua Hot is having two day certification classes every month Starting in April, and the cost is 300. You have to go to them, some limited RV spaces at the main facility. Check the website for the training. I am signed up for the May Class, so then I can work on yours for you. AH (rumored) is recommending there certified techs charge 120.00 hour for work.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
All, Aqua Hot is having two day certification classes every month Starting in April, and the cost is 300. You have to go to them, some limited RV spaces at the main facility. Check the website for the training. I am signed up for the May Class, so then I can work on yours for you. AH (rumored) is recommending there certified techs charge 120.00 hour for work.
You are right A/H is holding Classes, But...
I have been trained and certified for several years, The only ones(that I am aware of charging $120.00 ph is the dealers, or someone who is a ripoff artist, The rate I know of and charge along with other Mobile Repair Techs is a heck of a lot less than that. Shop around, Look in the Aqua-Hot web site. Ask them who they recommend, they won't recommend anyone special but they will give you a telephone # to call.
Orman Claxton

Orman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #14

Orman serviced mine @ Quartzite and knows his way around the AHot/HHot pretty well. Cost was $165 including new filter and burner nozzle, and it takes over 90 minutes to take the metal cabinet apart, burner out, clean the burn chamber, blah, blah, blah, and check everything as it goes back together. Its a good workman rate, but, as he says, way below $120/hr. And then there's the time it takes to scare up work, talk your way out of conversations w/retired engineers, and so forth that you never get paid for. Thanks Claxton, you do good work.