Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
Hydro Hot on Electric only

We're probably just missing an easy fix? But the HH system does not warm anything with just the "electric" setting. If we turn on the diesel switch, it goes on, warms the coach and hot water, and everything works normally. But with the diesel "off", and the electric "on", there is no heat. The breaker looks okay, but when we look at the HH panel inside the plumbing bay there are no lights at all. Seems odd. Press the "reset", and still nothing. While this could of course be a systemic problem, my experience suggests that I'm just forgetting to look at some sort of setting or reset. Would appreciate any input before we schedule a service date... Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How cold outside? Below 40 or so it won't heat you up when asking for hot water and heat use. Will it heat just the hot water?? If so you're ok. I'm in Yellowstone and been on diesel for a couple of weeks, didn't even try electric yet, maybe when summer comes . If you haven't used it for a while maybe you don't remember how lame the single element electric really is.

Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
You need to be either on shore power or generator power for the electric to work. I assume you are. Check the connections at the switch and at the junction block on the unit to be sure they are not loose. Then check for power at the switch to be sure the switch is working.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Hydro-Hot on electric only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVersOnline View Post
.............The breaker looks okay, but when we look at the HH panel inside the plumbing bay there are no lights at all. Seems odd.
Seems odd to me also. Since the control panel has no lights on, my first thought was that it was not getting 12V power ie the fuse was blown. But then nothing would work. Problem with control panel?? One thing I would do is to remove the cover off the control panel and check the tightness of all the wire connections. I found several loose wires.

The electric element in the HH is only 1650 watts and will provide little space heat. On cool nights, we turn on thermostat for the living area and leave it on 65 with the electric activated. This keeps off some of the chill as it cycles on and off all night.

The HH is designed so that hot water is its first priority, heat second. When you use enough hot water to pull the tank temperature down below a preset level, you get a low temp cutoff light and the heat loops will shut down until the tank heats up again.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RVersOnline
Cool Problem Solved

I think I prefaced this post with something like "There probably is an easy fix, but..." I didn't see the good comments that came in overnight before waking up this morning wondering whether I really had turned the 50A breaker on after plugging into our RV garage when we returned from a recent rally. A lesson I keep refusing to learn: Check the MOST obvious sources of a problem before assuming something is broken.... Thanks to all who replied, and my apologies for a false alarm.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Tough getting old. Wait until we forget where we parked the coach.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Just for someone's future reference, there is a push button reset for the electric heat inside the HH box itself. Twice I've gotten water on the control board (don't ask) and it popped that breaker. It's a bugger to reach. Glad you found an "easy fix" this time.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Terry- thanks for that, as its news to me. I had my 06 HHot vivisected for faulty 110V wiring and did not note that anywhere, so I assumed the only breaker was on the 110V breaker panel. I wonder if that was added, or if I inadvertently overlooked it on the earlier rig.