Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Hydro Hot on the Road

I believe I read in a post on here that I can use the engine heat through the HH to provide coach heat while traveling. Is this correct? If so how do I accomplish this? Getting ready to hit the road and it may come in handy.

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

Terry Yes you can heat your coach with Hydro-Hot as long as you have engine assist if you don't want to run diesel heater. Engine assist is when you have heater hoses running from engine to Hydro-Hot system. With out have to look you would know if you have hot water as soon as you get to a camp ground from the hoses run from engine that would have heated your Hydro-Hot unit. Most do have engine assist but not all. With this then you only need to use diesel burner to heat the water first thing in the morning if you want to use at the start of the trip. After you have driven for 15 minutes you won't need your diesel burner because the Hydro-Hot will be keep hot from engine which will then keep the coach warm too. You can still use your dash heater also. We have a Essex coach and we didn't know this for the first 5 years of owning it. Have never seen this in print.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
As Tom said, if your HydroHot boiler lines are connected to your engine you have heat available while traveling.

Set your thermostat to "FURNACE" and turn on the fans using the FAN button on your HydroHot control panel.

Essentially, you have free heat.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hydro Hot on the Road

Terry, Alpines with HH were built with the "Engine Preheat" function. That means the engine cooling lines run through the HH, all you have to do is turn on the thermostat, set the temp you want, once the engine comes up to temp it circulates hot water through the HH, heats the coils and you are all set, we drive with it on all the time. That is also the function you enable to preheat the engine, you turn on the "Preheat Engine" switch, the HH heats up, then circulates hot water to the engine.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

By the way, Dr. Dave, do you know by chance, if the temperature of the potable hot water can be ajusted? I have looked at the nomenclature that came with the coach, (Hydro-Hot booklet) and it says nothing about being able to regulate the potable hot water. On our 2007 36FDDS, the water was always smokin' hot, however, the water in the 2006 40MDTS we just traded for, while acceptably hot, we would prefer that it be a little hotter, but don't know how to go about it. any suggestions?
Dudley, (Dudley Do-Right)
2006 40MDTS Apex
PS You may have seen my post about changing the zone pump that controls the heat exchanger for the hot water.. that improved our hot water supply a lot, just not to the degree we expected.
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Go here and download the service manual for your unit:

Aqua-Hot - Manuals
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hydro Hot on the Road

WRV put in n a HWH model that has an adjustable mixer valve on the domestic hot water output. You just have to be able to reach it, some floor plans are easier than others. On our 38 FDTS you have to take out one of the WRV carpeted dividers, then you have full access to both the HWH and the charger/inverter, on others you need to cut the floor.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

Hey Dr. Dave, I read your posts, re: mixing valve, and yours and another post put me on the track. I downloaded the manual for our unit, and there is a tempering valve on the back of the Hydro-Hot. Problem is, it's virtually impossible to get to. Possibly could get to it from topside, in our 40MDTS the vanity w/elect. panels under, seems to be directly over the back of the HH with slide in, and with slide out, tile floor. Looks like a no-can-do, unless I can find somebody with reeeeal long arms. Thanks, Dudley
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dudley, there have been several posts about opening a HH access hole from underneath, do a search to get recommendations on how to do it. Fortunately for me, with the 38' FDTS, access is by removing a divider panel in the basement, reaching past the inverter. I have seen pictures of other models that are not so easy. Remember that you have to be careful cutting access, it is very easy to hit something inadvertently. Also be sure to reseal the opening after you are done.