Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We're in NC and having problems w/the diesel portion of the system. The diesel switch light (interior) comes on and then goes out. When this happens, the burner stops working. We've done the trouble shooting and had the combustion chamber, fuel nozzle, fuel sensor, and electrodes replaced (+$700 so far). It worked for a day and a half and now it is back to the same problem.

The authorized service centers in NC can't see us until January. We are going back to Carolina Coach in Claremont today. They are an Alpine dealer and the place who did the work I mentioned above last week.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Any thoughts? Tonight it will be 26 degrees and tomorrow 24...we're assuming (God help us!) the electric portion of the Hydrohot will keep us from freezing up in the basement and we'll use a ceramic heater for the living quarters.

Thanks for your help!

Jim & Ingrid
2005 FDTS 40'

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We're in NC and having problems w/the diesel portion of the system. The diesel switch light (interior) comes on and then goes out. When this happens, the burner stops working. We've done the trouble shooting and had the combustion chamber, fuel nozzle, fuel sensor, and electrodes replaced (+$700 so far). It worked for a day and a half and now it is back to the same problem.

The authorized service centers in NC can't see us until January. We are going back to Carolina Coach in Claremont today. They are an Alpine dealer and the place who did the work I mentioned above last week.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Any thoughts? Tonight it will be 26 degrees and tomorrow 24...we're assuming (God help us!) the electric portion of the Hydrohot will keep us from freezing up in the basement and we'll use a ceramic heater for the living quarters.

Thanks for your help!

Jim & Ingrid
2005 FDTS 40'

Brandywine
Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #3

Jim,

I had a very similar issue, after a nozzle and electrode service. The burner would be slow to ignite and then the green light would go out if it didn't light. Or it started the ignition process and never lit and the green light would go out in about 2 minutes. Recycling the switch would start the process all over

My problem turned out to be that when I adjusted the electrode gap I must have not secured it properly. I bought a new control module and that did not solve the issue. I then pulled the motor assembly out and cleaned and reset the electrode gap. Been working properly for a year now. I found that the gap had changed and was way out of tolerance.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

Thanks for the input. Our problems do sound similar. We had no problems until a yearly service was performed about a month ago in Columbus, OH. After that, the diesel light started going out, etc. In NC, when they installed the new electrodes, after starting the burner, the entrance to the combustion chamber melted. That's when we needed to get the new chamber and sensor. I'll give the tech your info and hope for the best.

Again, thanks and I'll let you know what happens.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #5

Jim,
I have the service and installation manuals in PDF format if you need them. I noticed they are no longer on the Vehicle Systems web site or at least the last time I was there.

As a side note we are very fortunate that WRV placed our HH units in a very serviceable area. I have tried to help others that have Monaco and Tiffin products and unless you are 7 feet and a bean pole there is no way to get at them.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

The manuals would be very helpful. My email is carnutjim@aol.com (or carnutjim@hughes.net). I did find a shop manual on line via a Google search but it was for the 07 rather than 09 version.

Thanks.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I found the manuals online here.

http://hydro-hot.com/manuals.htm

and here at the Tiffin info site.

http://rvtechlibrary.com/

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #8

Dale,

Glad to see HH put there manuals back online. I looked at there new website a while back and they were not available.

Below is a good source for parts. I found them to have better prices then Vehicle systems. http://busfixx.tripod.com/busservice/id11.html (Mainly Webasto burner parts)
Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the web site info re: manuals. It is appreciated.

We are still at Carolina Coach in Claremont, NC. The problem may be solved; we'll live w/it a few days here to make sure!

We had to run to Hendersonville yesterday to pick up a combustion chamber motor (another $300). It is running now and, hopefully, will keep it up!!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine