Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Hydro Hot Question

We have an 05 40fdts Alpine. New owners and just learning everything. After finding a low voltage light on the Hydro Hot panel, I reset it (low voltage has been corrected) and the boiler works fine. I set the thermostat to "furnace" but nothing happens. Fuses all seem good. There are several vents around the coach on the bottom of the walls and one under the shower, so I assume that is where heat would come from. The rooftop heat pumps work fine, but I am trying to get the hydroi hot to warm the place just to check it out. What have I missed? I thought some sort of blower would come on.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Turn on the boiler switch. if you have three roof tops and four zones on the thermostate, just one is for the furnace (hydro-Hot). It's usually zone 3. You have to switch the heatpumps over to furnace.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

Did you turn the electric or diesel switch on? They are located in the cabinet above the steering wheel.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #4

I have two roof top A/C-heat pumps.Electric and diesel switch is on. The thermostat only has one of the zones that can call up "furnace" and that is the one i have on. Maybe things are working as they should. I am just used to "instant" heat with an ordinary propane furnace. What little air that is coming in the vents located on the lower walls/under the shower, is warm. I just am not sure what I should be expecting.
Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Assuming you have the same thermostat as we do. Try the following.

Set the cool-heat slide switch to heat.
Using the zone/mode switch=choose zone 1, and "gas heat" using the mode side.
Set the desired temp using the up/down arrows.

Note: the electric element or diesel burner needs to be on. You will get better heat using the diesel burner option, you can also leave both on, once the diesel burner has gotten the unit hot, and it's not real cold outside, you can just use the electric element to keep the chill off. Also, the diesel burner needs to operate at least two hours a month, along with the generator which needs half load on it for two hours a month-FWIW.

Note 2: Zone 2 needs to be on, and set to heat for the basement unit (air handler) to call for heat if the basement gets down to 40F or below.

Go to: http://www.aquahot.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/default/Manuals.aspx

Download the manual for your unit and read all about it. You should have almost instant hot water once the unit has warmed up to operating temperature. If not, then we need to talk off line. I am aqua-hot certified.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote