Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Most that I've seen do go out the driver's side. I believe that's to keep it away from your patio area. If you were sitting in the patio area and the HydroHot kicked in it could be pretty objectionable. Better to aim it at your neighbor's patio area.

Personally, I like the rear exhaust idea. I think that makes everybody pretty happy.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #16

Wayne- IIWM, I'd cut the rear-facing pipe a few inches behind elbow, to install a swaged-end muffler tube section to run the exhust aft. You'd need some kind of adapter from threaded pipe to muffler pipe, so the elbow could stay.
But you make a good point about the setup regardless; the joint should be prep'd w/anti-seize for the ultimate R&R that comes in a few or several years. I'm pretty sure the elbow makes a low spot for water to condense to the lower thread perimeter of the aft-facing pipe, making a near perfect rust fusion experiment.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #17

In recognition of the post by "Alpine Maker" and hopeing that WRV does monitor this Forum; I have a suggestion. If improvements/changes /and or safety recall items are in the works: How about timely updates to your customers! If there is a kit and a fix for exhaust of the HH, there must be a reason. It is not nice to hear about it a couple of weeks after a trip to the factory for debugging
Old 12-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #18

Audrey and John, we have found that the electric side of the HH will keep the bedroom area warm at night even in below freezing temps. I set zone 2 to 70 degrees and place a small electric heater up front in the living area and leave zone 1 off.

Although my GenTuri system solves the exhaust smell. The sound of the burner coming on at night causes me to worry about $$ signs going up the GenTuri.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #19

Thanks for the ideas Wayne!

We have been using the electric side of the HH, but when temps outside get down in the low 30s, it seems to struggle to keep the bedroom even close to 59/60 degrees.

I have both zones set at 70 degrees. Maybe if we had left the front zone off, the bedroom would stay warmer. We are considering getting an electric blanket.

Which electric heater are you using for the front?

We did an experiment the other night. We brought both slides in to see if it make any difference on the HH smell. The smell seemed to come in even worse - perhaps the wind conditions were not favorable. Anyhow - the smell is not coming in from the slides. The exhaust is definitely getting into the basement somehow. It seems to get into the motorhome via the vent below the shower (which is open to the tanks bay) and the space between the pantry (slide) and the shower - strongest odor there. The HH unit is located directly below sink area of that slide.

Right now we have been having miserable weather at Gulf Shores (heavy overcast, coldish, windy, occasional rain) so we haven't had a chance to do any outside inspections.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #20

Audrey- Tell John that Duluth Trading Co. has some fleece lined denim pants that are great for working outside when its cold enough to feel you face hardening up. I wear mine when working on the coach in winter, but they gotta come off when I come indoors or I start losing weight. If one suffers from plumber's crack, exposing yet another front to temperature induced anaesthesia, they also have shirts w/extra long backs.
Also, I just finished installing a cargo slide tray, Kwikee SuperSlide II, the other evening. Its been just about freezing at night between rainstorms here. To assist, I put a 750watt cube heater in the basement & shut the doors for 20 min. Very comfy when I crawled in to do the drilling/bolting. The heater will recirculate the vapors, but "shouldn't" pose an ignition threat (YMMV).
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #21

Audrey, we have a small ceramic heater made by Honeywell. I think I paid less than $15 for it on sale. It is noisy but keeps the chill out of the front zone. With the privacy door closed we cant here it at night.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #22

Does anyone have stats on how much deisel fuel the Hydro-Hot uses per hour?

The electric side does not have enough heat for a good hot shower in cold weather or to heat the coach using the furnace, but I am a little too cheap to want to burn deisel all night!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #23

Snuggery
"Does anyone have stats on how much deisel fuel the Hydro-Hot uses per hour?"

This web page may answer you questions:
http://www.hydro-hot.com/faqs.html
2 - 4 gals./day = $6 - $12 day

Has anyone checked out Hurricane / Oasis:
http://itrheat.com/models.html?section=1
They look to be built correctly = STAINLESS STEEL!
I've heard of problems in the past - but they may have replaced computers and corrected them??
Technically they should be superior to Hydro Hot?
Marine use is far more demanding than RVing.

Rick
Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #24

The benefits of the Hydro-hot are far more important to me than the cost of diesle: even heat, a lot quieter than the blowing air of a propane furnace , and the complete heating of the lower section. These items are very important for fulltiming. But a couple of thoughts: most other brands (coaches) I have seen have the exhaust exiting the driver side but further forward (not out of the wheel well);prehaps because the cargo doors are not in their way. We may be suffering the exhaust infiltration more than other coaches do to the wind currents in and around the tire wells and the co-location of the waste tank compartment/and shower location. The fact so many of us smell the fumes begs the question; is this safe?
Because I wanted to install the wheel well covers by MCD (Avil.through WRV) I called the HH manufactures to ask about rerouting the exhaust pipe; they confirmed that they had approved a design change submited by WRV engineers for the "06" models but no plans exist for a replacement kit. They warned about backpressure issues affecting the burner performance. They did say they would review any pipe designs that a muffler shop comes up with but suggested that we probably do not want to just wack out a homebuilt and sleep on it.
Returning to the question of safety? Are there any folks that use the diesle system a lot that do not experience occasional fumes in the coach?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #25

Skyguy,

When our coach was new we had an occassional Hydro-Hot exhust problem and an every rain leak. Since the leaks have been sealed we have not noticed any fumes. Ours is an early '05 that is soon to be replaced by an 06 MD Apex, and I'll update when we've had some experiance with the new coach.

Sully
Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 AM   #26

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
No smell in our APEX with the exhaust running out the rear of the coach.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #27

Thanks for the observation Basil 'n Sue.
Ours is a nuisance if there is any obstruction along the exhaust side, or if wind is toward the coach from the drivers side. In Mexico, we have a fence about 30" away from the HH exhaust, & can't run it for >30 seconds w/out gettig asphixiated. I haven't found the leaks, but I think they relate to storage door, and slide seal leakage, combined w/the change-over from furnace ducts to HH when we ordered the coach (furnace duct holes were already cut in & the patching is not exactly neat).
Guess I'll call WRV Monday to discuss the back-door exhaust retrofit.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #28

This works well for me.