Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #15

Ted III
It seems at about 2 years of 24/7 the plastic fittings begin to crack. In our small Park we have had 2 Travel Supremes,1 Zephyr, 1 Mountain Air, 1 Dynasty (Aqua Hot) and my Alpine all develop leaks in Various plastic fittings at about 2 years, All full timers. I doubt this is a coincidence. Some of the owners of these rigs know of others at different parks they stay at, that have had the same type of problem.

Cruzer, That is good to know, I have only been able to get it from Vehicle Systems for around $20 a gallon plus shipping. The warming on anti freeze is published in the Aqua Hot instalation manual available online. It should also be in the Hydro hot manual but is not.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM   #16

Wayne, knowing what you know now about the plastic fittings, etc. do you not feel that speaking to Hydro-Hot should be a big issue as a cumulative group, or has this already been done. I am not as familiar with the system as you are but is it possible to replace these fittings with brass or stainless that would hold up longer than two years. I have to believe that Hydro-hot is well aware of these situations.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #17

Ted III

I have talked to tech support and they are in denial and seem not be willing to acknowledge the issue. Two others from the park have talked to them with the same results. The individual with the Aqua Hot was told by his certified Aqua Hot mechanic that the plastic fitting was a Monaco problem although it shows as a Aqua Hot part in the parts manual (Monaco paid the $350 bill).

Several of us have changed all the fittings on the drain valve, the one attaching to the tank being the most critical. There seems to be no option on the 4 pumps other than finding a cheaper source for replacements. I spent several hours searching the web for a stir pump with no luck.

If I was starting out new with a Hydro Hot I would drain the tank into an appropriate container and replace the drain valve assembly with parts from Lowes and then replace the anti freeze mixture. Any DYI can handle this task, in fact the annual service should be on your list. Just download the service manual for reference. Nozzle, filter and a can of brake cleaner will run about $30.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #18

Hello all,
wow, I could not help but add to this story.I have had nothing but misery with my Hydrohot system. Last year something went terribly wrong and the system somehow overheated and melted a bunch of plastic parts.
The low coolant gauge/and all that plastic that everyone is talking about.There is a gentleman at Vehicle Systems that was very helpful. I would advise everyone that is having a problem to Choose ext 137 Don Quintana when you really need someone who will be very prompt and responsive. He knows these instuments inside out and was by phone able to guide me step by step to the problem which was a large excess of harness wire in sheath {grey colored} which had been stuffed under the hydrohot. Apparently the caustic liquid had melted through the sheath and shorted a number of the wires together. The plastic pieces in this system explain the great possibility of leaking and I MUST AGREE with the statement that it is VERY TROUBLING to see this in a coach that is being used on a regular basis...very temporary stuff for the long term.. really....

Oh, Also I accidently broke a electical lead to my stir pump. It is impossible to fix and you are right, it is ONLY available at Vehicle systems for the ridiculous tune of $180. I called the Gorman Rupp company that makes it and of course they have a private contract with yours truely and you cannot find it ANYWHERE in the world.They only supply VS with it and refuse to sell it to anyone else. This stir pump is a joke. If someone was really sharp and understood the principles of this little platic pump{how much cubic ? at what rate} I am most certain a more suitable FULL TIME pump made of proper material could replace it. After all, It is just a small pump to keep the warm water "stirring" to better blend the hot water. I actually took the thing apart and was shooked to see how......skimpy I think is the word, it was. The brushes on it are a joke. They are pin like n size and you could actually see major wear on this and I am not a full timer or even anything close to that.It has actually been replaced by a different model pump. The original was gorman rupp model 5650-122 {plx-21g-156 12vdc} now the will send you a plx-100-830. I have no idea the difference....

During our long distance repair, Mr Quintana was able to also spot a major mistake in my circulator pumps. Seems they were wired in reverse where I was getting nothing but cold air.
I have never had warm air coming out of this coach.{Never needed to heat the coach till recent.} Now for the first time I have hot air coming out of the front vent by the drivers console and under the sofa. Unfortunately we were not able to get the other circulator pump to work. The circulator pump is good but it is either in the dometic dual thermostat or the wiring that goes through the air ducts to the thermostat in the front end of the coach. I also understand That in the air ducts they are also wired in to some sort of "air conditioning ahhh junction box for lack of what is exactly up there since I have not got that far yet. But at least it is finally nice to have 1 circulator pump working and warm air ducts suppling heat for the first time ever.
Now if you bridge the to yellow wires on the very bottom of the JP1 plug {it is the electronic controller on the right side of the hydrohot with all the LEDS. Taking the 4 screws off the cover it will be marked JP1 and all the way on the left,the largest plug. The yellow 2 wires on the bottom contol the circulator pump 1. When bridging these two together, the circulator pump 1 LED lights up and the pump delivers the hot antifreeze to the registers,tripping the fans in the vents in the bedroom-bathroom and end of the kitchen Counter and delivering some Fine heat !!!. I hope to say, I will be able to figure it ALL out but I must say that the Hydrohot has been more then a slight headache so far to say the Least !!!
Again, I am H or high water going to come up with a suitable and DIFFERENT stir pump then that piece of garbage at the tune of $180.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #19

Wingding, Ext 137 is the guy I Talked to several times. He was very courteous and knowledgeable but when it came to the plastic parts failing he was unaware of any problem, hmm.

There is only 1 heat unit in the bedroom and it is under the left side drawer in the back.. Set the thermostat for zone 2 to 99 and check to see if the zone 2 circulation pump is coming on and the associated led.

Mine came from the factory with the remote heater fans and thermostats reversed. Which meant the thermostat would call for heat in zone 1, zone 1 circulation pump would come on but the zone 2 remote heaters would come on blowing cold air. The only way to get heat was to turn both zones on.

PS: If you find a suitable replacement pump please post it.

EMike this looks like a good project for your talents (pump hunt).
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #20

I love a good pump hunt .

But as much fun as that sounds, if anybody has a defunct spare you can send me- I'd much rather start there than cannibalize my HH for this purpose.

Wayne- On my rig there is also a heat exchanger w/in the foot of the bed box; maybe yours has one too and it isn't firing? The other bedroom exchanger on the 36 is in the foot of the drawer section next to the potty.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #21

Emike, I threw my pump away. I only have one heat exchanger for the bedroom and bath area it is located in the rear closet below and to the left of the left side drawer. The heat is ducted to the bath area and 2 outlets under the bed.

Correction there is one under the bed that routes to the bath area. Seems the ducting would work better with shorter runs. I think I might try changing them.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #22

As soon as I find a adaquate replacement. You can have mine EMike. Right know I need it just to contain the antifreeze. If housing is what you are looking for, this will do. But you will need to exchange the brushes and the very fragile electical leds from your pump onto the housing of this one.... Good Luck !
I think I will take my chances finding out the Values of the gorman rupp pump and trying to match it with a appropriate alternative.
I will never trust that pump and it is obvious they did not change the model because it was working like a champ.....it has real issues.. I hope the replacement pump is a major advancement in engineering from the former.

I did that test,Wayne. Unfortunately it seems the thermostat for that 2nd circulator pump just will not call for heat. I need to get in there with my VOM and through process of elimination figure if I have a open in the Thermostat wire or a faulty Dometic thermostat.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 AM   #23
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne Routhier:
Mine came from the factory with the remote heater fans and thermostats reversed. Which meant the thermostat would call for heat in zone 1, zone 1 circulation pump would come on but the zone 2 remote heaters would come on blowing cold air. The only way to get heat was to turn both zones on.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, my Aquahot zone t'stats turn on the correct register fans, but I have to turn on the center zone (bathroom) stat before the rear (bedroom) zone will blow warm air. Haven't figured out this one yet, but a temporary and apparently workable solution was to jumper the relay holding coils together so that either stat will activate the fans and pumps for both zones.

Also was unaware that a "stir-pump" was in this system! Don't see it on my dwgs (but being near-sighted could explain this). I assume it is supposed to be on any time the furnace has the water heated? Wonder if it is also turned on when the electric element is providing the source of energy?

1998 Dynasty
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #24

I think the term "stir pump" just means circulatory pump when there is demand. Tstat or Engine Heat switch determine the "demand."
Old 11-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #25
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
I think the term "stir pump" just means circulatory pump when there is demand. Tstat or Engine Heat switch determine the "demand." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly, there are four small pumps. One for each of the three zones and one for the engine heating loop. I assumed that the t'stat operated the register fan and the pump off the same relay contacts. Hmmmm, this is getting more fun by the minute. I must re-examine what I know and what I have assumed and throw out the incorrect "facts" that I have convinced myself of. :-)
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #26

The stir pump is probably unique to the Hydro Hot. I have not looked at the parts breakdown of the Aqua Hot. It is my understanding that the stir pimp comes on durring continuos hot water demand because the other circulation pumps are shut down.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #27

I was having to put in antifreeze on a regular basis in my Hydro Hot so I looked closer and found that the plastic drain was leaking. So I went to Home Depot and bought a brass nipple and valve for about ten dollars. We are fulltimers and out coach is a 2004. When you refilled your tank did you use 2/1 or 3/1? It was on a Sunday when I did the repair and I couldn't find anyplace with boiler fluid that was open so I reused the old until I buy new. The last fluid that I bought was blue in color. I t came from an RV dealer in Wisconsin. I called a tech at Hydro Hot and he said that the fluid that the RV dealer was selling was purchased from them. I have been using it for a while now and it works. I know that some people use fluid that is pink in color. I can't believe that they don't use something besides plastic for that type of and application.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #28

alpine4us,

I mixed mine closer to 3:1 per Vehicle Systems. The fluid they sent me was orange in color but as long as it meets the FDA regulations the color should not mater. I sure hope that everyone is aware that the pink stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart can be hazardous to your health. if a leak occurs between the boiler side and the heat exchanger for the hot water supply. The Aqua Hot installation manual addresses this but the Hydro Hot installation manual does not. (I know this has been talked about earlier in this thread but thought it was worth bringing up again)

It is just a matter of time before those plastic fittings fail on the tank drain. It is a relatively easy job and if done before a leak occurs the fluid can be saved by draining into a suitable container. I put a hose connection on mine to make it simple to drain in the future