Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 AM   #15

Back in the mid 70's we had a 20 ft MH. Driving on a multi-lane street we were just coming to a railroad crossing. We slowed a bit and a pickup going way too fast passed us just before the railroad. He hit the tracks and a piece of 8x10 1/4" plate steel bounced out of the truck and hit the pavement and bounced right into the radiator area of my MH. We found a place to pull over and stop and it was sliced into the grill and an angle iron brace about 1" thick stopped it from continuing into and through the radiator. Sometimes you win one, that was ours.

albuquerque, nm
eghershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #16

YOU MAY WANT TO TRACK BACKWADS TO SEE IF YOU WERE IN THE FLIGHT PATTERN FOR COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT. OLDER PLANES HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE TOLIET WATER OVERFLOWING/LEAKING AND FORMING ICE BLOCKS ABOVE 20K FEET. ON APPROACH IT WARMS UP AND THEY CAN FALL FROM THE PLANE. USUALLY BLACK OR DARK BLUE. MAKES SENSE THAT BY THE TIME IT REACHED GROUND LEVEL A GOOD HIT WOULD NOT BREAK A WINDSHIELD. ANYWAY, GOOD STORY AND YOU ARE OK, AND THE NO REAL DAMAGE.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #17

Sure sounds like clay pigeons to me! I think some kids were having fun or shooters being reckless.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #18

remember me??
I did that part on your guys' coach and all I have to say is ......
You're welcome

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had just merged onto I-40 in Nashville when a Pick-up equipped with pipe rack passed us in the hammer lane. It had what looked to be a new 8' fiberglass step ladder standing up against the pipe rack. Just then the ladder decided to do its impression of a Trident Guided Missile and launched skyward. The thing went straight up and made a pretty arch before landing right next to us. I hollered on the CB for the truckers to watch out as the pick-up swerved across two lanes of traffic for the shoulder. Just then a truck behind me reported a car had hit the ladder dead on. The next thing I saw was the pick-up heading eastbound at a high rate of speed. The trucker called the Tennessee Highway patrol to report the incident, but was only able to give a partial tag number. Sorry to say I was watching the flight of the ladder and also didn't get the tag number.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #20

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Everyone has a story like this:
1) We hit big wad of carpet laying in my lane on the freeway in Corpus Christi. Minor damage.

2) I saw a 55 gallon drum BBQ blow out of a pickup. MIssed that one.

3) I talked to a man in a rest stop once who was following a flatbed truck when a bunch of I-beams fell off it. He ran over them with the coach, blew out most of the tires and did all kinds of damage.

As the police sargent says "Be careful out there".
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Yup - things to happen. My DH was rear-ended last week in Tyler while taking his driving test for the Texas Class B endorsement. Luckily we had the tow bar behind and that was all that was damaged. Same morning while I was taking my test a small compressed gas cylinder came flying off a truck that past me. I was able to slow down and get around it - impressed the examiner that I could react that fast. Didn't want any damage - I can still react fast for an old girl.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #22

Wow Barbara and David
remind me to never move to Texas and need to take a driving test!!!!!
yep we all have stories, as a retired RN that used to work in a very busy ER in Los Angeles I could tell you about some of the patients that werent so lucky
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:01 PM   #23

Couple of years ago, we were in FLA on I4 in our Winnebago Minnie when we hear something smack the windshield HARD! We slow down and look at the glass but can't see anything wrong. Next rest area we stop and find a bird wedged between the top of the cab and the overhead bed.... Pryed the poor thing out and held a brief roadside ceremony

A few years before that there was a guy killed on one of our highways here in Mass. by a piece of metal pipe, not very big maybe 10 inches long, that went right thru his windshield and hit him in the face. Very sad, and we never found out where it came from. Most likely bounced off of truck travelling ahead.

I will second the "Be careful out there".

99 Itasca Suncruiser V10
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Avatab welcome to irv2.
Check out the NorEasters down below if you like fun and good eating there for you, good friendships.
Enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #25

Our Thursday trip to San Diego with the coach was slowed by horrible traffic, which resulted from a relatively minor-looking traffic accident. However according to the newspaper article the next day, the driver of the SUV had been killed by a 6 pound ball-type trailer hitch coming through the windshield.

Considering the number of cars on the road and the number of miles driven, the odds are definitely in our favor, but you never know. So I agree, "Be careful out there."