Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #1

I am driving I-35 south through San Antonio yesterday at about 60mph, I see something falling from the sky. Huh?!? No overpass anywhere near. But I notice an object - like a black disc maybe 4-5 inches in diameter fall straight down from the sky and hit the median. Then a second later - another one, but this hits the pavement in the median, bounces all the way up to say 15 feet or so, and then comes carreening towards us two lanes over. Hits us smack in the middle of the windshield on the passenger side with a crack so loud that my right eardrum hurts for an hour afterward.

John yells - wow - that was a BIG ROCK! I tell him no - that wasn't a rock. It was some kind of black disc - probably rubber based on the bounce (and being black), and that I swear it just fell straight down out of the sky - the second one in fact.

Well, the windshield did not break, it did not crack. An hour later we pulled over to a rest area, and John could see about a 3 inch circle of light dust plastered on the windshield where it hit - washed it off. The glass looks as smooth and clean as can be.

Apparently there is no damage (knock on wood!). I just can't believe it.

How freaky is that?!?!

And if we saw TWO of these things - there must have been more of it "raining down".

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #2

I am driving I-35 south through San Antonio yesterday at about 60mph, I see something falling from the sky. Huh?!? No overpass anywhere near. But I notice an object - like a black disc maybe 4-5 inches in diameter fall straight down from the sky and hit the median. Then a second later - another one, but this hits the pavement in the median, bounces all the way up to say 15 feet or so, and then comes carreening towards us two lanes over. Hits us smack in the middle of the windshield on the passenger side with a crack so loud that my right eardrum hurts for an hour afterward.

John yells - wow - that was a BIG ROCK! I tell him no - that wasn't a rock. It was some kind of black disc - probably rubber based on the bounce (and being black), and that I swear it just fell straight down out of the sky - the second one in fact.

Well, the windshield did not break, it did not crack. An hour later we pulled over to a rest area, and John could see about a 3 inch circle of light dust plastered on the windshield where it hit - washed it off. The glass looks as smooth and clean as can be.

Apparently there is no damage (knock on wood!). I just can't believe it.

How freaky is that?!?!

And if we saw TWO of these things - there must have been more of it "raining down".

Audrey
Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Must have fallen from an airplane unless it was something that came off of another vehicle nearby and became airborne. Lucky no one was hurt or even killed by such a piece of debris.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #4

Last year we were coming back from camping, another camper person came flying by me with a flatbed truck and a truck camper on the back...
around the camper there was buckets, and a bunch of junk... he got about 1/4 mile ahead of me and went over a bridge {hitting a bump} a hammer must of been laying there, well it flew off the truck it hit the road and from the speed the truck was going the hammer flew about 50 feet maybe more strait up in the air there were cars all around me, that thing came down between me and another guy... it LUCKLEY didnt hit anybody {i do not know how} but it didnt...

Dean
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #5

Audrey,glad nothing bad happened. That could have been a real problem if the windshield had broken and come in on you.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:50 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Wow, Audrey! I have never seen anything like that happen, thankfully. Sure glad you guys weren't hurt! As you said, truly freaky!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #7

Obviously the creatures piloting the black disc machines need improved landing procedures
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you made it through the ordeal safely. About 3 years ago I was running about 65 MPH and over taking a hot shot driver with a goose neck trailer behind him. On the tail of the trailer he had strapped down a cardboard box full or pipe fittings. One bounced out of the box (a 4", 90 degree long radius weld elbow) and hit the pavement. I never knew a steel elbow could bounce so high. If hit the pavement in front of me...second bounce and went OVER my car.

I never did catch up with that fellow, I would not get close enopugh to get up there and pas him.

You have to keep such a watch on the roads in ALL directions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #9

Audrey & John too, Thank goodness you are okay and you two are not hurt. The extra plus is the windshield not breaking is great. The one comment about something out of an airplane I would be suspicious of and wash my hands thouroughly after cleaning the window. Mike E would you not agree? Coyote keep your comments to yourself. Fortunately it was not a desperate issue in the airplane or possible the vehicle behind you was literally pummeled.
In either case with all kidding aside we are thrilled that you are okay and that from all appearances your windshield is okay.
May the skies not fall upon you regardless of source.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #10

I am going with UFO, only because it is more interesting, and may cause more RV'ers to note their experiences. Seriously, glad you arn't hurt, windshield is good, and you have a great story to tell as you travel the nation. If we happen to hear this story being told, will come up and say Hi.

2006 National Seabreeze
FloridaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #11

Ted and Carol, It's not likely from an airplane IMHO but may be from a high deck full of lenghts of piping with plastic ends in them to keep out snow/damage and Etc.

They make great targets and dog bowls. When they transport 48" pipe for the pipeline via ship occasionally the plastic ends will blow out. I have picked up several and use them to drain ant freeze but not oil. That would require cleanup more than water.

My reasoning against aircraft is that at least commercial A/C are inspected thouroghly before flight and any loose attachemnt would come off on takeoff. Stranger things have happend though. Smaller A/C I can't think of anything like that being used except in the inlet ducting. If they where to remain attached High temps would give immediate feedback IMO.

38' Alpine Suzuki Grand Vitari

People are Illogical, unreasonable and self centered. Love and trust them anyway. Leadership commandment #1. Mike E.
iron mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #12

Wow, guys, As previously stated you guys were unbelievably lucky...The Lord works in mysterious ways!

The official US Gov't statement on the matter was attributed to swamp gas that reflected off a sun spot that had caused a refraction of light that directly contacted a flight of Eagles that had overflown your MH and caused a momentary loss of bowel control...

When if fact, it was NOT Eagles with loosened bowels but rather TOMCATS of the F-14 variety on their painful way to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan scrap yard in Arizona that took a radar lock on an Iranian UFO that had you, in fact locked in, took a Fox-1 with a sidewinder, sending the UFO aliens to their appointed date with their supposed virgins...

They just had to get one more! On Eternal CAP, "Get some TOMCATS!!!"
Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Ted, at first I wondered why they didn't just stop and pickup one of the mysterious objects-- then I realized that at the speed A & J travel-- by the time they could stop that rig, it would mean walking back more than a mile.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #14

Hey, we were driving within 4 lanes of busy traffic on I-35 through downtown San Antonio. Running around 60 mph. You think we're going to stop, let alone walk back to see what's falling on the road?!?!?!

Audrey