Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

We're on a trip from Arizona to Kentucky and the water pump (Shurflo 5.7) has a problem. If I turn the pump on I can get water anywhere I want. But the pump won't turn off when I close the valve. I can repeat this procedure whenever I need water but I can't find where the system has its glitch. Could it be the handle valve that is used to direct water into the tank or the coach? Does that valve malfunction? Any help will be most appreciated. I have an appointment at Camping world in three days but I'd rather solve the problem myself. (much cheaper)
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #2

We're on a trip from Arizona to Kentucky and the water pump (Shurflo 5.7) has a problem. If I turn the pump on I can get water anywhere I want. But the pump won't turn off when I close the valve. I can repeat this procedure whenever I need water but I can't find where the system has its glitch. Could it be the handle valve that is used to direct water into the tank or the coach? Does that valve malfunction? Any help will be most appreciated. I have an appointment at Camping world in three days but I'd rather solve the problem myself. (much cheaper)
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #3

Hey Chris, the first thing you should do is be certain that you don't a leak or open valve anywhere in your system. The water pump is controlled by a pressure sensor that starts and stops the pump when is sees a drop in pressure which would happen when you open a faucet it will start. When you close the faucet the pressure will increase and the sensor will shut off the pump when it reaches setpoint. If you have a leak the pressure will not build up and the pump will not shut off. If you don't find a leak then you likley have a sensor problem. It may be defective or simply hung up. Most often the sensor is built into the pump or attached to the pump on the discharge side. Look for an inline device with wires going to the pump . Give it a few taps with a screwdriver handle and test it again. Good luck

2008 Presidio
chicken legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

Chris, lever should be turned towards city water. Typically if you get water at any faucet and when you have all faucets off and the pump continues to run it would indicate that you have a leak or the pressure regulator in the pump is not working properly. You might want to give the regulator on the pump a healthy smack once you are convinced that nothing is leaking. Does the pump seem to slow down at all when you have all valves off? If so it is trying to build up pressure but something is leaking. Did you check your icemaker if you have one? Try to isolate all faucets as best you can. Beyond that the regulator in the pump is shot.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the pump won't turn off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had this same problem. BAD PUMP, OUR 4TH FAILURE. It got so hot I could not touch it.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
So many comments about bad 5.7 pumps.

I have observed that the valves WRV puts into the service bay are "DIRECTIONAL" and will let water go backwards thru them when the water pump is on. It will go slowly allowing the pump to cycle every few seconds. If this is the case, the easiest cure is a check valve to isolate the pump pressure from the valve. Most coaches I have worked on have had this issue, so I'm thinking there might be a relationship to all those bad pumps. I've been using a 5.7 since they first came out and had no problem. I'm also not using the crummy directional valves WRV has in the service bay.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #7

After 3 yrs of service, the Shurflo 5.7 pump, model 5900-0201, started running continously with no water demand. Additionally, pressure/flow were greatly reduced. Only recourse was to turn pump off when not requiring water. Noted this early model of the 5900 had a pressure transducer under the cap. Writer replaced the failed pump with a current version (model 5900-0211). This newer version has an adjustment screw under the cap in place of the transducer and is factory set but you can adjust this screw manually to change the pressure shut off point. Took failed pump to the Shurflo factory in Elkhart IN for failure analysis and repair but the Shurflo tech indicated parts were not available for the original model 5900 and the pump was not repairable.
BTF
Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris cross:
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE> There is a slot in the bottem
of the pump I was told to turn counter-clock wise quarter turn at a tme.

2006 36"FDTS
Ed Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
MRL

Has anyone's problem been that the pump appears dead? Ours was working after we bought it in Nov07, but now just gets hot. I don't think we have the adjustment screw.

Raymond
07' Alpine 40MDTS
Old 06-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
MRL

Camping World has the SHURflo 5.7 on sale, so we picked one up the other day and I just installed it. That fixed it. I assume the 5900-0211 means with adjustment screw, as the 5900-0201 I took out doesn't have one. I bought 5' of 5/8"OD x 1/2"ID clear vinyl hose, cut it in half, and with a bucket of water was able to prove to myself the original was bad and the new one worked before I installed it.

Raymond
07' Alpine 40MDTS
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
MRL

Called SHURflo about returning the bad pump, and was told that Camping World would just refund the money for the one we bought. No RMA or shipping involved. We were going to carry a spare, but with a three year warranty, we'll just see how long this one lasts.

Raymond
07' Alpine 40MDTS
Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VAGABONDMAN:
I have observed that the valves WRV puts into the service bay are "DIRECTIONAL" and will let water go backwards thru them when the water pump is on. It will go slowly allowing the pump to cycle every few seconds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Frank is correct. I found that the "City Water/Fill Tank" valve was leaking when set in the Fill Tank position, causing my water pump to cycle every few seconds.

The water system was being pressurized, then the leaking valve allowed the pressurized water (essentially the City Water side of the valve) to "leak" through to the Fill Tank line leading back to the tank. Therefore, my cycling pump was circulating water from the tank, eventually back to the tank, i.e. no visible leaks.

This is really the only way a good pump could cycle and NOT show any leaking. If a pump is running, either the pump is not building pressure (bad pump) or the pressure is being released somewhere (either back into the tank or out into a bay/ground).

I removed the "City Water/Fill Tank" valve and replace it with to hose inputs. Now I connect the hose to the appropriate connection, instead of turning a valve.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #13

Maybe if we just left the pump switch in the off position the problem would not appear so serious. It won't correct the problem but it will keep the pump working when we need it.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote