Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
I know what you mean about the rats nest behind the TV. I recently upgraded the front of our 01 with MCD blinds and upgraded and relocated the TV in a cabinet curbside behind the copilot's seat. I cut the old TV cabinet down and rerouted all of the antenna,satallite connections in to the back of the cabinets and installed a receiver and Blu ray player in it. Then moved the defroster fans one on each side of the windshield. Did the best I could with the wiring eliminated what I could . Now it's a organised rats nest. Went through the same thing when I replaced the batteries. While I'm at it I might as well mention the engine compartment rerouted wrapped tied,hoses,cabels,wires. Gotta love it

tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #16
WRV did many things right. For instance, I think the chassis is second to none. Then once in a while I see something the leaves you scratching your head. Discovered today one of those head scratchers. The water tank is supported by a steel frame attached to and suspended from the underside of the chassis. The ten foot center section of the basement floor below the water tank is supported by three threaded steel rods that reach down from the water tank frame. The underside of the basement floor has a well-constructed welded steel grid. The two aft rods from the tank frame come through the floor between the main floor supports. So WRV welded steel cross members in order to connect the rods to the flood grid. Except, one cross member was welded in the wrong location leaving the rod with nothing to tie it into the floor grid. Instead of moving and welding the cross member in the correct location, someone just threw a wash and nut on the rod leaving that entire span of basement floor virtually unsupported.

Tim & Ruth
Alpine Coach 1999 40FDS, 350 ISC
Project Restoration
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
Another interesting item is for those of us that have the curbside dining room slide that rises and then extends. On coach delivery we all should have found two large threaded rods with nuts welded to one end, along with a couple of smaller bolts; these four items are used for the emergency slide retraction should your HWH system fail. Western's plan was for you to go into the basement area and find two access holes that will receive the two small slide lifting bolts. These lifting access points should have been opened by WRV and should be located near the exterior wall and positioned near where the two interior lifting cylinders are located at each end of the slide. We are then supposed to crank up on these bolts which will raise the entire slide. The two long threaded rods are then inserted into access points within the small interior cabinets at each end of the slide. With two 1/2" ratchets and a helper these rods are cranked, and through the miracle of mechanical science your slide will magically retract.

Well, that's the way it's supposed to work. In my case and, as I understand it, many of our coaches with this particular slide never received the threaded access holes that will allow the lifting of your slide. Without them, you aren't going anywhere. My initial problem was that even though we bought the coach new, these four emergency tools were omitted. That was no problem though, HWH was more than happy to provide them for a fee. I can see where the small lifting bolts are supposed to come through the floor, but after all these years I still haven't opened the necessary access points in the basement. Yeah, I'm waiting for that emergency when stuck somewhere - always planning ahead... That job remains on my "To Do List."
2006 Alpine 36' FDTS
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
I have the long ones but not the short ones. Even if I had the short ones my situation is the same as yours, no access to use them.

Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote