Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

I love my Alpine, but hate installation practices

As Eng. Mike says, "It's the ultimate DYI project"
I noticed it on our 36', and now on our 40', the installation of various systems exhibited absolutely no craftsmanship or pride.
For example:
Anyone who has changed out a TV in front has seen the rats nest of wiring and co-ax behind it. Couldn't that all have been properly bundled and routed in a neat and orderly fashion?
The HWH pump/manifold/control panel system must come as a kit, with a wiring harness of a pre-determined length, and when they install it, the extra wiring just gets stuffed behind so it's out of the way. Again, why couldn't all that excess have been cut out, and nicely bundled and routed?
Our coach had a special semi-automatic drain system for the holding tanks. (why, I don't know) When you open the curbside compartment door to access the valves, etc. you are confronted with a maze of wiring and small tubing which is difficult to understand, or repair. All so that when you push a button in the streetside gray and black drain compartment, the drain hose just jumps out at you from its' storage area. An excess of luxury, in my book, but still a really poor inatallation.
I guess it's sort of like the Wizard of Oz, "Don't pay any attention to that man behind the curtain"
Thanks all who read, that's my rant.
Dudley Do Right, 2006 Alpine Apex 40

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The switches for my melectric main awning are unaccessible to anyone under 5'6", for no reason at all other than stupidity. They are in a cabinet above the door and stairwell. Even for me at 6' it's an uncomfortable stretch and I cannot watch the awning roll all the way up. Could have easily bee mounted on the wall 3' lower near all the other switches available as you enter or exit the coach.

And there's a lot more; the macerator is mismouted, the dipstick and fill for the engine oil, the radiator overflow tank, etc. A lot done right, but we expect/demand that, it's called professionalism. But a lot done unprofessionally, without thought, as tho they had never mounted a macerator or electric awning before.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Dudley.

I feel your pain. I really like my Alpine, when it's right it's bitchen, when it's wrong it's a bitch!

I too have been behind the TV and tried to sort the rats nest. I have my tvs working and for now that's good enough, I'll clean it all up when I change tvs.

The battery compartment, I just posted about it 10 minutes ago, is a PITA. Why couldn't it have been enclosed? The oil check bin is also subject to dirt and grime, why?

I will address these once I have gotten the major issues taken care of, for now they'll be added to my list.

Oh yeah, I ain't even thinkin' about getting rid of it!!!

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

Assuming your oil check bin is like my 2001 and behind the right rear tire, it gets the road spray from the tire. I was in there recently looking for solutions to some wiring problems and observed there were a couple of areas with rust bubble, now properly scraped down and repainted, inside and outside the bin in those areas. While doing so, I noted that the bottom gasket was apparently attached to the C shaped mounting ribbon(?) with silicone and had come loose, thus hanging open at the bottom thus allowing lots of road grime inside. Now repaired, cleaned and put on new silicone. I assume you saw this obvious possibility, but thought worth mentioning.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
HA, I was just in the front cabinet to swap out the old Dish Network DVR to a new 722. We had already upgraded the TV and BluRay last year. I did go from composite video wiring to HDMI so I got rid of one set of cables. I also discovered why one of the cooling fans sounded like the bearings were going out. It was because of a cable tie touching the fan fins. All quiet now. While in there, I noticed quite a few IR emitters laying around in there. Looks like they go to the Niles system. They put out an IR pulse every so often. When you hold one in front of the white receiver eyes, they make the blue light come on. Anyone know what these are for? There are also a couple of micro relays in that cabinet. On some mornings I can hear one click in and out. It doesn't happen every day. They are not labeled either. Does anyone know what these micro relays are for? Thanks.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronidom View Post
Assuming your oil check bin is like my 2001 and behind the right rear tire, it gets the road spray from the tire. I was in there recently looking for solutions to some wiring problems and observed there were a couple of areas with rust bubble, now properly scraped down and repainted, inside and outside the bin in those areas. While doing so, I noted that the bottom gasket was apparently attached to the C shaped mounting ribbon(?) with silicone and had come loose, thus hanging open at the bottom thus allowing lots of road grime inside. Now repaired, cleaned and put on new silicone. I assume you saw this obvious possibility, but thought worth mentioning.

There are 1 or 2 things you can expect to be done to a 15 year coach.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
HA, I was just in the front cabinet to swap out the old Dish Network DVR to a new 722. We had already upgraded the TV and BluRay last year. I did go from composite video wiring to HDMI so I got rid of one set of cables. I also discovered why one of the cooling fans sounded like the bearings were going out. It was because of a cable tie touching the fan fins. All quiet now. While in there, I noticed quite a few IR emitters laying around in there. Looks like they go to the Niles system. They put out an IR pulse every so often. When you hold one in front of the white receiver eyes, they make the blue light come on. Anyone know what these are for? There are also a couple of micro relays in that cabinet. On some mornings I can hear one click in and out. It doesn't happen every day. They are not labeled either. Does anyone know what these micro relays are for? Thanks.

The IR emitters are for the audio/visual components inside the cabinets. If you set it up correctly it will repeat the IR signals to the equipment inside the cabinets with the doors closed. Not sure what the micro relays are for, maybe someone with an '06 Apex will chime in.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dave. It would be handy to be able to control the components with the doors closed.

On another note, I was lamenting to the Dish Installer that we were having trouble using the UHF remote from the bedroom. He took care of that by installing a splitter at the back of the box which allowed him to relocate the UHF antenna to the bedroom. What a clever solution and it works perfectly.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 07-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Thanks Dave. It would be handy to be able to control the components with the doors closed.

On another note, I was lamenting to the Dish Installer that we were having trouble using the UHF remote from the bedroom. He took care of that by installing a splitter at the back of the box which allowed him to relocate the UHF antenna to the bedroom. What a clever solution and it works perfectly.

There should be a small IR receiver (about the size of quarter) in the bedroom that links to the Niles remote repeater. Ours is located directly below the TV above the drawers. It changes the satellite channel.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
The one in our bedroom is so we can operate the slides from back there.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I love my Alpine, but hate installation practices

Just goes to show you how much WRV changed things year to year. Ours changes the sat receiver!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

In your Apex, you can use any of the IR remotes in any room as long as one of the repeater eyes can see the remote. That goes for the individual remotes that operate the SilverLeaf (slides, genset etc.) as well as the Universal remote that you should have that operates all of your AV equipment, kinda slick if you ask me!

On another note, I completely agree that the craftsmanship (layout of wiring etc.) on these coaches leaves a lot to be desired! During build, it would not have taken that much longer, if at all, to run wires neatly, trim excess and remove garbage. I have a coax connector that must have been cutoff at the factory and replaced floating around in the front TV cabinet that I can't remove without disassembly of the cabinet, among many other examples of workers not caring (my opinion). Guess I am used to exquisite workmanship building space flight hardware!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBrzn2 View Post
In your Apex, you can use any of the IR remotes in any room as long as one of the repeater eyes can see the remote. That goes for the individual remotes that operate the SilverLeaf (slides, genset etc.) as well as the Universal remote that you should have that operates all of your AV equipment, kinda slick if you ask me!

On another note, I completely agree that the craftsmanship (layout of wiring etc.) on these coaches leaves a lot to be desired! During build, it would not have taken that much longer, if at all, to run wires neatly, trim excess and remove garbage. I have a coax connector that must have been cutoff at the factory and replaced floating around in the front TV cabinet that I can't remove without disassembly of the cabinet, among many other examples of workers not caring (my opinion). Guess I am used to exquisite workmanship building space flight hardware!

It did not cost thousands of $$ per ounce.....
Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

My 2 Cents Worth
A couple of years ago I added new 40" TV in the front cabinets. In the process I addressed the massive amounts of wiring behind the cabinet and removed many wires that went nowhere. I replaced all video with HDMI, cleaned up and bundled the remaining wires to eliminate the spider web of wires. I will never know why they would let a coach out of the factory that way.

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install