Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #1

I Mean Stop!

Center brake light stopped working, so I launched into another research project. Wanted the replacement to catch the attention of anyone behind the coach that I was braking. The replacement then had to be bright, that meant LED. Notice the transit buses used LED strobes which gave me an idea. Found just the right light at Extreme Tactical Dynamics http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/. Here is link to a video of the finished product: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArBcunudL8Rp53QMFPzOUfeS4T9I
Unfortunately, the video does not do the brightness justice.

AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #2

Your solution seems like a good idea, especially in response to the ever-popular tailgaters, but I wonder if it would pass in states that have vehicle inspection. I agree that LED stop/tail lights are great, and have installed these on our older motorhome and car trailer. MUCH better.

The local Toyota dealer started installing blinking center brake lights several years ago, but have stopped doing this, presumably since this is in violation of Federal lighting regulations. I personally found these lights very irritating when waiting at a traffic signal, but like your solution, they certainly get peoples attention.

Some years ago, there was a product called "Cyber-Light" that blinked in accordance with the pressure put on the brake pedal. The company owner tried to get this approved for manufacturer use, but wasn't successful.

Summary: just because something may not meet a current regulation, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea...

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

George you are right, the point is to get the attention of those who cannot seem to drive any further back than one's license plate. If I am ever subject to an inspection, the flash pattern can be set to "steady on."
Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I Mean Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
George you are right, the point is to get the attention of those who cannot seem to drive any further back than one's license plate. If I am ever subject to an inspection, the flash pattern can be set to "steady on."

One thing I would look for is DOT certification. If you were ever to get into an accident with non DOT certified lights and it was discovered, it could, change the liability. I am not saying it would, just that in the wrong set of circumstances it could be used against you. I think the tail/stop lights would be more important than the high light, but if those that can't see any further than the license plate are involved who knows what could happen, JMHO, take it for what it is worth.

The tail lights are from a Ford F-350 van, so I keep waiting for someone to come out with a certified replacement, the OEM lights are just not as bright as I would like. If someone plowed into the rear end and it had stock tail lights it would be hard to argue they could not be seen, but if you replaced them with brighter non DOT lights, that would shift the burden of proof, leaving it up to you to prove they were adequate, even if the other person hit you in the rear.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 AM   #5

Dave well taken. It is a sad day when the first thing we have to think about is liability. A similar argument could be use regarding non-functioning center brake light, which is what started this project. With that said, if someone is driving with their head up-and-locked and crashed into a slow moving MH with a rear end the size of a barn door, they are going to be a little hard pressed to shift blame ... "that barn door should not have stopped so fast!"
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Dave well taken. It is a sad day when the first thing we have to think about is liability. A similar argument could be use regarding non-functioning center brake light, which is what started this project. With that said, if someone is driving with their head up-and-locked and crashed into a slow moving MH with a rear end the size of a barn door, they are going to be a little hard pressed to shift blame ... "that barn door should not have stopped so fast!"

So very true, however in today's litigious society I am sure there is some ambulance chaser that will try to say that those non DOT certified lights were so bright they caused his poor itinerant client to go into cardiac arrest, so it was obvious that the slow moving barn door stopping in front of him was the root cause of this accident and the owner, being rich enough to own a RV, should be held responsible, to the tune of 18 Million dollars for the hang nail his client is now chronically suffering.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Many motorcycles have the type that blink for 4 or 5 bursts then go steady...
so best of both worlds - IMHO
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
... if someone is driving with their head up-and-locked and crashed into a slow moving MH with a rear end the size of a barn door, they are going to be a little hard pressed to shift blame ... "that barn door should not have stopped so fast!"
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

My opinion: putting a brighter stop light on the RV will do absolutely nothing to deter a tailgater. They are not tailgating because that can't see your existing lights.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
My opinion: putting a brighter stop light on the RV will do absolutely nothing to deter a tailgater. They are not tailgating because that can't see your existing lights.
The OP is not trying to stop tailgaters, but trying to get their attention faster so they have a better chance of stopping in time. All drivers tend to get distracted or "zone out" sometimes.

The ones that are up your tailpipe need a good face slap

I often pulse my brakes just to help get their attention sooner so they can see that I am stopping.

Regards,

Dan