Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
I went to Guaranty last week and traded my Apex in and got a Country Coach Affinity, 2001 model with 25K miles. Very clean and well cared for.

Guaranty has treated us very well and we are waiting to take delivery at the end of this week, I hope.

I hope we have made a good decision, but I am tired of working on the Apex at the end of every day.

Will let you know after we have the Affinity for a while.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I went to Guaranty last week and traded my Apex in and got a Country Coach Affinity, 2001 model with 25K miles. Very clean and well cared for.

Guaranty has treated us very well and we are waiting to take delivery at the end of this week, I hope.

I hope we have made a good decision, but I am tired of working on the Apex at the end of every day.

Will let you know after we have the Affinity for a while.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #3

What do you mean "working on it every day"? I don't know much about Alpine or the different models and years but I'm starting to educate myself because I may be in the market for one. Please share your experiences with me. If you have to bash it's probably best to send me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #4

Jimco- you can do a "find" on Apex and you will find lots of buggy issues. The Apex model has a considerable amount of "automation" as is the craze in very upper end homes. And as in those fancy homes, the automation translates to great fun when it works, and gremlinous intrigue (aka a monster headache) when it doesn't. WRV did contortions to get the Apex owners untwisted, but since WRV is no more, the support is DIY with a lot of help from this forum. Same bugginess & WRV help was true of Avalanche models, tho different bugs and a whole other reason for them.

Generally (tho you'll find exceptions, some of them expostulated here on iRV2), the Limited coaches came with the usual level of initial bugs for the industry overall. Overall, Alpine owners are a very satisfied lot with the basic design theory of the coach, and its execution. I expect to own ours for a very long time. Even that new porch model from Country Coach isn't tempting me, hmmmm...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

Jimco,

I agree with EngineerMike. You can search "Apex" and you will find some issues that took a lot of fixing since it was a new design and highly automated. But there are very satisfied Apex owners out there as well, as there are many Limited owners.

We have had our share of issues with our '06 Limited, but they are less than we had with our 42' twin diesel boat that we bought new in 2003, before we bought the Coach. The boat took more time and more money, and was harder to work on by far than the coach. They both do a lot of the same things but the coach goes a lot more places more cheaply.

We have also found that except for a few issues, mostly HWH hydraulic issues that in my opinion weren't WRV's problem, we have few repeat problems. Most of the initial issues were with systems or parts made by somebody else that didn't work right when WRV assembled them.
A few problems were WRV assembly issues but most were other system issues. So it's something to be expected with many brands of coaches since many of them are assembled with the same sub-systems that WRV used.

Alpine coaches are superb driving machines with very good floor plans and high levels of driver comfort. They are fun to drive and very comfortable in long distance travel. And they take a breaking-in routine and sub-system break-in and fix as well as the factory installed systems.

If there's any one system I'm not overly happy about it's my Cummins engine, which is in most brands of DP coaches. The Jake brake is wonderful, and it works extremely well with Cummins engines. It has lots of power. But we have had a missing oil fill cap for 15000 miles, a high-pressure diesel leak at the fuel manifold (same thing we had on our boat), and now a front crank seal leak at 30,000 miles. In addition I had a lot of smoke that looked and smelled like burning oil last trip when I was close to home and I still can't find where it came from and can't duplicate the problem. We also had the same items on our boat, plus a fuel injector leak. For as expensive as these engines are, and as good a reputation as Cummins has, I'm not happy with the amount of leaks generated by the engine. So whatever coach you buy, look hard at the engine and its records. Hopefully ours is fixed. And Cummins has been good about honoring their warranty.

In spite of some of these issues, we really like the coach and a lot of owners will tell you the same. I've talked to many owners of other coaches and some have fewer, some more problems, but the consensus is, "there's always something to work on or fix on a DP motorhome". Some are things you can fix, some you need to take to a dealer. You just need to be ready to accept this when you own one.

And my comment to Big Jimbo is that I hope you're happy now that you traded for a Country Coach that is 5 years older than your Apex. I hope it holds up better for you than the Apex, so the rest of us that like our Alpines, don't have to listen to or look at the words "Hurray" for getting rid of your Alpine. I'm dedicated to using, enjoying and traveling in our Alpine, and helping other Alpine owners get enjoyment out of their coach. I say "Hurray" to the rest of us that are making our coaches work for us and helping each other along the way. This is a forum to share ideas and seek solutions with other Alpine owners and not to make current owners feel worse for owning one.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, everyone is entitled to express their opinion, and those opinions can be discussed, but the member who posted their opinion may not criticized for expressing their views.

Thank you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with Engineer Mike and OldForester...we love our Alpine Limited SE, but went through the usual debugging after picking it up a year ago March. Now, we are only dealing with a few left over warranty issues that aren't under warranty anymore. Fortunately, we have a very good friend (another Alpine owner...you know who you are) who has given us tremendous help with some of the items. It would have cost us a lot more than a dinner if we had to get these items fixed by the dealer or someone else.

We are on our 4th Alpine Limited (I guess we'll own this one for a good long time, too), so there must be a lot of good things about them!! As mentioned above, they drive great and are very comfortable for travel. Floor plans are very functional and there is more than adequate storage for most owners.

Yes, the Apex owners have had their challenges, but many of them love their coaches in spite of the issues. The Avalanche is probably something to steer clear of.

Jimco, we are often at Valencia Travel Village, as we have kids that live in Santa Clarita. If you have any interest in seeing our coach and talking with us, just let me know via PM, and I'll let you know when we plan our next trip down. There is another Alpine owner that lives in Santa Clarita, near Camping World, and perhaps you will hear from him, too. I wish you luck in your search!

Big jimbo, we wish you luck, too, with your newly acquired Country Coach.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Big Jimbo, hope you are happy with the country coach, we looked at them for years, and would have gone there except, they cost way more money than I have.

However, with that said, we could have had a "new 2007" for close to the price we paid for our Apex, and in retrospect, it's something we should have looked at harder.

With that said, I absolutely hate the floor plans of CC. Not one of them has a kitchen to speak of, and after spending all that money for a MH, we need a kitchen big enough to cook in, because who can go out and eat with the price of diesel, now I ask you?

I believe, our APEX has the best floor plan in the industry, bar none. And I have looked at hundreds of MH's at rallies, and shows, none come close to the floor plan of our APEX - period. We especially like the mid door entry, and although we would not have ordered it with the dishwasher, it works great after figuring out how it works. My biggest grip is the Hydro Hot system does not give us hot water, and HH is working with a repair facility to remedy the problem, it's just taking a long time to figure out.

I don't care which manufacturer you purchase, there are going to be problems, and I believe taking a year to get them all worked out is about standard for the complexity of these beasts. Would I buy another alpine, most likely not, but, and I mean just that, but I think I would have problems with all of them, to some degree. Thousands of mechanical, electrical, hydraulic connections and systems, something will be out of adjustment, fail, wired correctly, something - just too much room for error when assembling the components.

We purchased a brand new 2007 Lexus RX-350 on Thanksgiving weekend of 07. It never performed up to what I felt was the proper level of quality and comfort that Lexus advertised. The ABS light came on, when we drove it to Las Vegas, last December, and prior to that, the headlight washers were both broken and needed to be replaced. The saving grace for Lexus was the dealerships involved in fixing the car were great, top notch, above and beyond the call of duty for the ABS light in LAS. But, because, of those issues I won't have another one.

If the name plate does not say Honda, it won't be in my driveway period. Now if Honda started making motorhomes, the rest of the industry better watch out, because they are engineering masters, and their quality control in our opinion is second to none. We currently are still driving the 95 Accord wagon, and it's still going strong being that old. I'm sure good maintenance helps achieve that too.

I don't believe you will be worry free with the CC, I hope you are, but mechanical issues affect well mechanical things, and MH's are complex beasts.

However, just because you have jumped ship, does not mean, you are not welcome here, let us know how it all works out, as I'm sure we all want to know.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far. I'm like a sponge right now for the higher-end stuff. I've looked at many 300HP rigs but there seems to be a threshold around 350HP I'm thinking I would like to stay at or above.

Monty, you really hit a chord with me on the Honda thing. I am an avid off roader and my name on the off road forums I participate in is 1Hondalover. At one time not long ago we had 8
Honda toys. We got rid of some but I will simply never ride anything else. I even thought of ripping the Type 1 engine out of my Class 5 car and putting in a B18 engine so I could say it was a Honda.

Engineering masters.....Heck yes! Have you ever seen a HondaJet? Talk about engineering.....
Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 AM   #10

I also have a 2006 Apex that my wife, dog Molly, and I love. We have had some problems; however, most were not Alpine problems but other vendors. We are on an extended 4 month trip and really enjoy all the comforts of home. The real plus, this machine drives better than most cars and it is a pleasure to sit behind the wheel in. We previously had a Beaver and I hated to drive it. As in any home, there are some better than others. I have a good friend with a 2004 Country Coach Intrigue that has been in the shop much mre than my Alpine Coach.

Joe Brunold
Old 08-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #11

we love our Apex also, been From Florida to British Columbia, only failure was the transmission and was promptly repaired by Allison. We also have an Apex experience tech who is always avalible to us (at a cost) and use him rarely
Good Luck

Jim & Kathy
06 Apex
Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Our APEX has been our home since March '06 , and we love it. We left almost immediately for a summer in Alaska and finished with New Years eve in Key West.

Yes, we have had problem, two driveshafts, two Dometic refers, and two inverters. But we have been pretty much trouble free since that slight hydraulic fire at Acoma and the jack problem at Quartsite. Fortunately we have had two really great repair facilities Central Valley RV Repair in Fresno, CA and Fountain RV in Lakeland Fl who have gotten us over many rough spots, plus I have had a wonderful time learning a great deal about our home.

Now, sitting here in th UP of MI, we are planning the next two to four years of travel in this coach knowing that the good times have far outweighed the rough spots.

Paul "Sully" Sullivan

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote