Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Ice Maker Water Line

There is a water line coming from the bottom of the refrigerator at the rear of the refrigerator which I thought was the water line for the ice maker. This line has developed very fine pin holes which leak. I keep cutting the bad sections out but now I have run out of line. This line does not, in my opinion, feed the ice maker because it goes directly to what looks like a solenoid. I'm concerned that if it keeps leaking that I am going to have a flood. Where does the line originate from, how do I replace it and how does it work? My coach is a 2005, 34 ft. Alpine. The refrigerator is a Dometic Model DR-1402. Paul Everet's wants $715 to replace it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. --Tom--

T James
2005 Alpine 34 FDDS
06 Honda CRV Toad
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
On my coach the line starts at a valve behind the removable panel in the maintenance compartment. Sorry I can't tell you how to replace it. I looked at it and decided to just close the valve and not use the icemaker. I didn't want the ice bad enough to risk further leaks. It looked like quite a bit of labor would be involved in feeding it through from the fridge area past the wheel well to the service bay, hence that high cost they quoted you to replace it.

Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 water lines behind the "Fridge" in an RV.

One is the pressurised supplie line to the Solenoid, this is normally half inch PEX but it can be quarter inch plastic or copper.. Easily replaced if you can find the other end of it.

The 2nd is the line from the solenoid TO the ice maker. This is very cheap quarter inch plastic crap usually paired with heat tape to keep it from freezing, It is the bane of ice makers and it is 75% of the reason my ice maker is in storage.

The third is a waste line (Condensate) much larger and does NOT go to a solenoid. On a Never,, er, Norcold it goes into a cup, on a Dometic out the vent hole in the cover so it drip, drip, drips on the ground.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
It is proper for the line to go to a solenoid to control the flow to the ice maker and the water dispenser. Even on RV fridges, all icemaker components are standard to residential fridges. My line is the stainless steel wrapped plastic which is the best for any installation. It goes straight down to the storage compartment where it tees into a water line with a valve. It should have standard fittings and be available at any Home Depot or Lowes.
Rick J Fisher, BW is Judy
2007 Alpine 34FDDS Limited SE
2003 Jeep Rubicon or a 1995 Toyota Tacoma
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
The ice maker supply line is pretty easy to replace. It originates (as Jim A said) in the service compartment (where your water, tank drains & electric hookups are located) behind the removable panel. If you didn't know there was a removable panel there, it is right above the tank drain valves and is attached only with velcro fasteners and is easily removed. There is a puncture valve there that the small 1/4 inch plastic ltubing is attached to. Just turn the little knob clock-wise until it stops to turn off the water flow. If you want to replace the tubing, you can purchase the 1/4" plastic line at any home repair store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.) pretty cheaply. There are really only two challenges in replacing the hose. Getting the replacement through the hole where it goes from the refrigerator compartment and on into the storage tank bay. Then routing it across the top of the upper holding tank from the passenger side to the driver's side where the valve is located. You have to remove the 2 screws/bolts that hold the holding tank bay door closed (there are two brackets on the under side of the panel that have bolts through them to secure the door in place) and then it will raise up like the other bay doors do. It just doesn't have the struts to hold it in place while it is open. You can use anything (I happen to use a rake with a long handle) to hold the door open while working in the bay. Now, what I did first, was to remove the tubing from the rear of the refer compartment and then get the new hose through to the storage tank bay. Then, I taped the new hose end to the end of the old hose and pulled it from the driver's side until the new hose appeared on that side. Then I removed the old hose from the valve and installed the new one. You will need a new compression nut when installing the new hose to the valve which is also readily available at any home repair store. Now, before you try to use the ice maker, you may want to strongly consider replacing the supply line from the solenoid to the ice maker. As wa8yxm stated, the tubing from the solenoid to the ice maker is paired with a heat tape to keep it from freezing in the wintertime and this combination usually results in the plastic tubing deteriorating or in my case "disintegrating". In order to replace this tubing, it is necessary to remove the refer from the cabinet to get to the back of the unit to replace the tubing. I think this must be what Paul Everet's wants $715 to do - that is, replace all the tubing from supply valve to the ice maker. Otherwise, it would be a quick and easy and inexpensive fix.

Now, if you don't use and never intend to use the ice maker in your refer, just turn off the valve and forget it and don't worry about replacing any of the tubing.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote