Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Identify Three (3) Antennas

I too am in the process of replacing my older radio (OEM I think - Pioneer DEH-P4400) with one of more capabilities and options such as XM Radio and Bluetooth (Kenwood KDC-BT755HD). Therefore, I'm trying to determine what I already have in the way of antennas.

I have three (3) antennas: One I know is for the CB radio and is mounted on the air horn platform. The second is also mounted on the air horn platform, and the third antenna is mounted on the roof over the windshied. See pictures.

The old radio only has the one standard antenna connected to it, and is not connected to a satallite antenna. I looked, and at this time could not find a non-used coiled up antenna cable in the console or dash. I'll look behind the TV and channel between the L & R windshields as necessary.

Anyone else have this configuration and/or can ID them?

Thank you. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Antenna #4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	42252   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Antenna #3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	42253  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Good Morning Bruce,

On your air horn bracket, the forward antenna is the AM/FM antenna. The rear antenna, with the white "loading coil" is the CB antenna. The antenna up on the front cap is the satellite radio antenna (although ours is a flat 'brick' antenna).

I found our satellite antenna wire behind the dash, generally behind the drawer with the drink holders and HWH jack controls. This wire is very small diameter, about like a 16 or 18 gauge wire. The end has a plastic (brown or green, I forget) connector over a metal connector. Our Sirius box that attached to the new AM/FM/Sirius radio didn't need the plastic connector so I broke it off.

I found the Sirius wire by removing the lower dash panel that is right in front of the passenger seat (typically velcro'ed on) and then searching to the left, towards an area below the windshield center post.

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Mike & Mike:

Thank you for the good news.

One of the first things we did after purchasing our AC (and after hitting my head numerous times on the 125 lb boat anchor TV) was to have an LED TV and cabinet work done in the front. The well known Washington company did a fantastic job on everything except the wiring. The "technician" knew nothing about the DHS system, so he just cut wires and bypassed it leaving a poor sound quality and operation in his wake.

Next month it's off to Innovative Coach Works in Junction city. I've been assured by a couple other AC owners and the company itself that they can put the modern electronics and the DHS back together correctly.

I trust others have had good customer service from Innovatice?

Please don't ask about the WA company.

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Bruce and Donna,

Since you plan to be in the area in August, here are a few things you may or may not be aware of.

August 4-7 : Alpine NorCal Pre-Rally in Eugene for the FMCA Albany Rally
August 8-11: FMCA Rally at the Linn County Fair & Expo in Albany

We'll be at the NorCal pre-rally, then we're camping at Armitage County Park in Coburg for a few days. Then we're headed over to Kustom Koach Works/Amazing Creations in Junction City to get some cabinet work done. Scott and Bobby have done cabinet work and electronics work for many of us in the Alpine family. They'll have a booth at FMCA and they'll show up to visit at the pre-rally also.

You asked about Innovative and I have not heard of them.

May I show you a little Google trick? Type this into a Google Search:
amazing creations site:irv2.com

Then read about all the iRV2 people that have had work done there.

You could also limit your search to the Alpine Forum only if you wish:
amazing creations site:irv2.com/forums/f104

Maybe we'll see you in the area!

PS: What's DHS? I've never seen that term before.

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Mike & Mike:

We believe we'll be able to attend the NoWACA and FMCA events.

DHS Mobile Theater Systems manufactured the system for our 5:1 surround sound which was original equipment from WRV. It integrated the TV and radio speaker usage.

Innovative Coachworks was recomended to me by both Amazing Creations/Kustom Coach Works and Countryside Interiors in Junction City as they said Innovative is more familiar with my system and the rewiring needed.

Bruce
Old 07-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Bruce,

I should have followed my own "Googling" advice! I just looked up DHS on the iRV2 Alpine forum and there are a number of hits.

Thanks for the info on DHS. Now I've got to wonder if we've got it or not (we do have speakers for 5.1).

We'll look for you in the area.

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS