Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #15

That's a possibility. Particularly the leads at input 17 and output 5. I was working on the jack springs in that area. I'll check all of the wires near the rear Vansco unit. The 2004 has an open battery compartment and a lot of dirt and grease will build up which might also contribute to the problem.

I'm still trying to sort out the Vansco issue at input 17 flashing with the key in the start position and no lights at output 5 at the rear unit. The manual indicates that it could be an open circuit (no power), over current (short), or back drive. Also how does the Vansco interface with the PDM or the coach ignition system. Again, I have not been to find any data on that. Thanks everybody for your help.

packetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #16

As far as testing your PDM, Parker Hanflin no longer provides any tech support for WRV motorhomes. They said they were spending too much time on WRV tech support. We only have one distributor for testing, parts and programming.

PDM are what they call dumb modules and do not need to be programmed

VMM do need to be programmed for each WRV motorhome at JCA.
They a good one to program the new one. Yes you can switch VMM,s from front to rear to test them.

JCA Electronics
Winnipeg, Manitoba
204-489-5104

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #17

Thanks for the information. I'll be doing so troubleshooting this morning and hopefully make some progress.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Good luck, I hope you find the cause of the problem.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #19

My 2005 has an "ignition relay" in the battery compartment and it plugs into the fuse holder on the back panel. I don't have a wiring diagram but it is possible that the output of the VANSCO operates this relay which in turn powers the engine circuits. It may be a long shot, but......
Wil Rathke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Does the starter engage/turn? If yes disregard the following. If you find there is no 12vdc+ at the starter solenoid and you hear the starter relay engage... it is possible that the 12vdc+ lug at the starter solenoid has separated but appears normal because of the heat shrink around it. If you don't hear the lift pump come on for 10 or so seconds before turning from the ignition position to the start position it is possible the skinny (about 16ga) white ground wire from the Cummins ECM has been severed. (It usually connected to the ground lug on the engine below and aft of the starter) It was not well "protected" in it's routing and could have gotten snagged when you worked on the jack. Both of the above problems have occurred on several of the 03s to 06s.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #21

I am much closer to a solution. The rear VMM 35 pin output plug socket has a plastic collar around it to protect the plug from dirt and moisture. This collar was damaged on top which allowed water to collect at the bottom of the plug assembly, corroding the socket pins and the matching plug. (The 2004 does not have a sealed battery compartment) See attached photo. I tried to clean the pins and plug, but was unsuccessful in starting the coach. The ignition circuit is completely dead, no left pump, starting, etc.

After observing the rear VMM, I discovered that I had lights at input 1 (ignition) and input 3 (accessories), but no lights on the output side. The PDM was providing power to all 1-6 inputs like HWH, radio, wipers, etc. The rear VMM power light was lit and the data bus appeared to be working properly. To confirm the no output issue, I turned on the emergency flashing lights. The front VMM showed 2 flashing output lights and the coach front emergency lights were flashing. The rear VMM showed no output lights and, of course, there were no emergency flashing lights at the rear of the coach.

I removed the rear VMM and will send it in for testing and replacement if necessary. I will let you all know the outcome. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach-2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	73198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach-11.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	73199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach-17.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	73200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach-28.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	73201  

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Before you ship the VMM out for repair swap the 2units and see if the symptoms change. If they do NOT you do not have a Vansco problem. I would also check your parking break switch on the dash. Make sure it is "engaged".
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #23

Dave,

I can not open the generator side to remove the front unit. By the way, JCA does not test these units, but they do supply them. They are available for $1,350 shipped collect to your UPS or FedEx account.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #24

Think you can release the front slide and open the slide manually; second also think the front Vansco unit is on the inside of the bulkhead in front of the passenger seat--just remove the plastic facia from under the dash....am sure Vansco=based coach owners will chime in....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

Scout,

My coach is on a gradual slope with limited ground clearance in the front. This thread has not received as much attention from Vansco owners as I had hoped, although those that have responded have been very helpful and they comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The frustrating thing about this is lack of technical data on how the VMMS interfaces with the coach systems. This makes troubleshooting much more challenging. My gut tell me that with any black box, in this a VMM, if signals are going in into it and nothing comes out, there is a problem. If you look at the photos you'll see no activity lights in the output section of the rear unit, indicating a possible short to the whole output section. If the new VMM does not solve the problem, I'll have a spare when one does finally fail. Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
PacteTx,

The front Vansco unit is located inside the coach, directly in front of the passenger seat, not behind the front slide. By the way, you can disconnect the generator slide and supply it 12 volts at the connector (I have done it) that will open or close it, depends upon the polarity.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #27

DrDaveMA

The front Vansco unit is through bolted to the firewall. The mounting nuts are only accessible with the front slide open. The rear unit mounting nuts are accessible from the rear passenger side wheel well. I believe my problem is with the rear VMM output section. Hopefully, that will fix my problem. Thanks

Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #28

I'm not convinced the problem is at the back. I dint think you've eliminated a Net failure of the front VMM. If you have brake lights at the back then the Net is working as that travels across the J1939 twisted pair between VMM's. If the fog (driving) lights work that travels thru the front VMM only. If the HydroMax works with key off or with key on but engine off, then the Net is working, that signal travels from brake signal to rear VMM back to the HMax @ front.