Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

I'm being forced to change my Hydraulic Hose!

Because my hose has deteriorated, I'm being forced to change my fluid and filter. Does anyone know what filter and oil to use before I empty it.
I'm leaving on Friday on a two week 2500 mile trip so I have to move quick.
William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470079120268.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	134678  
Old 08-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Once again, it would be great to add the model and year of your Alpine to your sig block so we all can get on the same page. Early Alpines came with regular ATF [like Dexron III(sp)]. Some/most 05s came with regular engine oil but many owners switched for some exotic brands of ISO46 hydraulic fluid. Newer coach came with regular ISO46 Hydro fluid???? Don't have the part# handy but a look up in this forum will work--requires 3 filters stacked, Nelson filters at Cummins is one source, believe NAPA is another.
PS--that large return hose is pretty sturdy and not under pressure--are you sure you really need to replace--the inside is probably fine.....
PSS--Nelson part# is 84220A--usually comes in a box of 6--so enough for two fluid changes--around $20 ea at Cummins?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Sorry... thought it was there.
2005 Alpine Limited
Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

Thanks Old Scout.
Got the Sig line all figured out.
After further investigation and a little research, I've determined that it has hydraulic fluid, it's very clean, smells good (dirty fluid has a distinct odor), the hose looks worse then it really is. Being that it's the outlet hose that feeds the pump, as you said has no pressure, I'm going to leave it for now. Will definitely be adding it to my list of projects in the near future.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #6

Ok...so maybe I don't have the Sig line figured out. Can it be changed on a smart phone or do I need to go to a pc?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Schnieber View Post
Ok...so maybe I don't have the Sig line figured out. Can it be changed on a smart phone or do I need to go to a pc?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"

I don't know if you can do it from your phone.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I'm being forced to change my Hydraulic Hose!

Quote:
Thanks Old Scout.
After further investigation and a little research, I've determined that it has hydraulic fluid, it's very clean, smells good (dirty fluid has a distinct odor), the hose looks worse then it really is. Being that it's the outlet hose that feeds the pump, as you said has no pressure, I'm going to leave it for now. Will definitely be adding it to my list of projects in the near future.

Until you get it fixed carry some silicone Rescue Tape http://www.rescuetape.com/ , after the hose is replaced Rescue Tape is one of those things that is always good to have in the tool box.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

DrDaveMA
Rescue tape is a must have in our kits. I'm an avid off roader so we carry it all the time. That and bailing/tie wire along with duct tape. 👍
Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

Agree--"rescue tape" is the greatest thing since duct tape [although not interchangeable]. I don't want to mislead you about the risk [severity vs probability] of your hydraulic hose failing. No real way to judge probability of a failure while on the road. Accordingly, peace of mind is about the only true measure here--if you think you are going to worry about it while you are on your trip--then get it replaced. Assuming a replacement hose is pretty available while on the road--which I think it is--the only real issue is bad timing, eg being stuck out on the hi-way somewhere. Based on the low pressure nature of this hose, I would wager the failure [if/when it occurs] would be gradual, as opposed to a catastrophic blow-out on the high-pressure side.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

Agreed...
Old 08-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Old Scout.
As Twinboat stated, it is the supply/suction hose, Mine on my Coach looks exactly the same as yours.........it is just the outside of the hose that shows cracking(Outside covering) but my hose is still really flexible and soft to touch(Per say, wire coil wound inside?), not hard. If you were to look at heavy equipment that works outdoors, you will find the hydraulic hose's in the same condition, just the outer covering. We have a 1967 Ford backhoe and some of the hose's are OEM!!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Agree--"rescue tape" is the greatest thing since duct tape [although not interchangeable]. I don't want to mislead you about the risk [severity vs probability] of your hydraulic hose failing. No real way to judge probability of a failure while on the road. Accordingly, peace of mind is about the only true measure here--if you think you are going to worry about it while you are on your trip--then get it replaced. Assuming a replacement hose is pretty available while on the road--which I think it is--the only real issue is bad timing, eg being stuck out on the hi-way somewhere. Based on the low pressure nature of this hose, I would wager the failure [if/when it occurs] would be gradual, as opposed to a catastrophic blow-out on the high-pressure side.....

In fact since you know about the problem wrap it with Rescue Tape now. Since there is no real pressure it will hold until you can get it replaced. Due to the size of the hose, and that it is a part that is unique to Alpines, I would not assume it is readily available, that is not saying that places like NAPA or a good hydraulic shop can not make one for you, just that it might take a day or 2 to get it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #14

FWIW, My hose looks just like yours. I'm not worrying about it, I'll replace it if it shows signs of seepage. I just had the pressure side hose replaced, it was leaking where the end fitting was pressed onto the hose.

The shop I use checked things out and didn't mention replacing the low side hose. They made the new hose in their shop. Looking at the receipt it appears to be a 77" hose and the cost was $160.

They also did a rebuild on the air dryer while they had it out.

If you're thinking about DIY, here in So Cal there is a chain called Hose Man, I don't know if they're national. I believe they have a pretty good reputation. A lot of the farmers and equipment guys use them.

Also, if and when you do this be sure to keep things clean. A couple of us have had the hyd pumps fail and it's kind of a PITA. The pumps come from England, approx. $600. I got lucky, I could drive mine and had brakes, PS and the fan worked. The problem showed up at idle when I was trying to park or maneuver a tight area. No power assist!!

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic