Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #1

I have taken some pictures of most of the little fixes/improvements I have made to our Coach, and would very much like to share with any that may find them helpful.

I'll try to be as brief as possible, and list them by photo number. If any aditional information is needed, please let me know, and I will forward by email. Listed in CAPS at the end of each number is where I aquired the item.

Enjoy

Walt
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

1-2. If you find a need for an additional 115v receptacle on the right side of curbside basement, this will eliminate running extension cords.
3. If you have the Bose Radio in the bedroom. Using a hole saw, it is pretty easy to route the cables through counter up to the TV. Great Sound
4-9. Computer Desk: After looking at what a number of other people have done, this is what I came up with for my particular needs. HOME SHOP
10. A Cordless Vacuum comes in handy for the quick little clean up jobs. On the left of the Vanity Slide there is just enough room to mount, you can get power (hole saw) from the laundry center.CAMPING WORLD
11-17. CurbSide Basement: Used Kwikee HD units. Figured the maximum use of the basement floor to determind what sizes I wanted. Layed everything I wanted to put in the compartment out on the driveway, started cutting and glueing until everything had a home. CAMPING WORLD. Note photo 15, if you want adequate light on the patio, this fixture works great. You will have to cut (tin snipes) a recess hole to mount flush. CAMPING WORLD
18. Cutting Board: The two Koridan covers that came with the unit were always coming off. One instance during an hard brake, I almost got one in the back of the head. Bought a pre-fab one an inch larger than the opening, knotched the side and back to fit in, added the bull nose. Four little Velcro strips keep it in place. Great for extra counter space, and the board is aways there. When it gets a little cut up, I just take the sander to freshen up. CONTAINER STORE
19. Cutting Knifes: Three of these magnet blocks do the trick. Have never had one fly off. LINENS & THINGS
20-21. CurbSide Drapes: I found it always pain to keep pulling the entire section back and forth. Ran into a very nice Alpine couple in Zion that I got this idea from. There is a seam in the exact spot the separate the door. Just undid the seam and re-stiched, added three Velcro stripes for closure.
22. Drawers,Cabinets: Spent almost an entire weekend carpeting everything in the coach. What a difference it made for noise abatement. Very few rattles going gdown the road. HOME DEPOT
23. Drivers Side Basement Slider (back view). One unit holds patio carpet, four table chairs, table, Colman Grill. All from CAMPING WORLD
24-25. Hair Dryer: I'm the kind of guy that likes a place for everything. Saves pulling it out ech time and winding up the cord. Wiring in directly in to receptacle (cut a little notch in base plate) saves for an extra plug in. CAMPING WORLD
26-27. HD Receiver: (Dish 911) Not the unit that came with the coach, but will get HD Reception on satilite #110. What a difference. Had to cut back of cabinet and carpet in order for it to fit. If you have the problem I have experienced, receiver freezes up due to over heating. This little 3/4" LapTop Cooler works great. FRYS ELECTRONICS
28. Holding Tank Vents: After installing these, I have never had an odor smell inside the coach. Color Matched to roof line. CAMPING WORLD
29. Dual Thermometer: Battery operated. Easy to route outside probe behind window valance, push through the brush closure on the window. LINENS & THINGS
30. Keys: Conveinent place to always know where they are. HOME DEPOT
31-32. Awning Light: If you are like me, and want to have everything setup up as quickly as possible, this works. The Rope Light is not quite enough to read under, but great for most everything else. I cut it the exact lenght of the casing, and just roll it up inside the awning. It causes a small dis-configuration, but I have operated mine a hunded times with no probelms. In shortening the rope you will loose the first and last foot of lights. Fix: Take a short piece of #14-16 wire, strip just enough off the ends, bend into a U, then push in the cut end to reconnect the wires. A little silicone over the exposed wire holds it in place. CAMPING WORLD
33. Remote Controls: Saves having to plug everything in each time. One for Under Coach, Awning Light, and "Barking Dog" CAMPING WORLD, but LOWES has the smaller one for half the cost.
34. Rope Light Under Coach: Just enough light to keep from tripping over things in the dark. A NEWELL pulled in next to me at a park once that had more lights on it than most Semis, this idead I liked. CAMPING WORLD
35-36. Oil Blow By: Tired of cleaning the oil spots off the end section behind the motor? This works. Use a plastic water bottle (heaviest you can find, the heat will dis-stort the lighter ones), with slightly less than 7/8" opening, drill a series of holes in top to equal at least the ID of rubber breather hose, slip the bottle on about half way, leaving enough room to catch the oil, but not bottom out.... a little Duct Tape, and you are in business. The picture showing mount has about 1/2" of oil that has taken about 6 months to collect.
37. Pantry Shelves: Twice the shelves, double the storage. HOME SHOP
38-39. Reading lights: The over head lights in the front of our unit only work with the key on. If you want it to be individual by side, and flexable, these work great. ROBERT BOSCH brand, found somewhere on the WEB
40. Remote Power modual for under coach lighting. LOWES
41. Awning Light Power. A strip of velcro holds modual in place. Don't forget to take down before rolling upo awning.
42. Water Proof Receptacle: Spliced into Dryer power on other side of wall, color matched to coach paint. Now I do not have to run extension cords for lights, and also for my George Foreman quicky grill. LOWES
43. Motion Sensor: This is one little great addition for having piece of mind while sleeping in remote areas, or anywhere for that matter. Its a small little box that "Barks Like A Dog", we have in the cabinet under the Vanity. If anyone approaches the outside, the box lets you know. The nice thing about this Guard Dog, doesnt' require frequent potty stops, doesnt' eat much. SMARTHOME.COM
44. Rock Guard: There are a number available, this is a nice one, easy to install, and company will put what ever you like in letters. RIVERSIDE ENTERPRISES
44-45. Security System: All Wireless. Have contacts on windows, front door, with motion sensor in living area. Has a ton of features, most you will not use. Need two people to install, one to read instructions (hate that part), another to push buttons. SMARTHOME.COM
47-48. Shoe Storage: These canvas pockets help to keep from having a stack of shoes in the closet, and never finding what you are looking for. If you use one side for pants, there is enough room on the wall to mount a second unit. Bought one (12pairs), but none of my shoes got to use it, bought a second and the wife lets me use two.... how woman can have more shoes that there are days of the month, is beyon me.... love them tho CAMPING WORLD
49-50. Shower Despensers: These save having to always put stuff away. Keeps bottom of shower un-cluttered, especially when your wife has to have something different of everything. HOME DEPOT
51. Bath Sink: Keeps clutter of the counter. As in the kitchen, using a hole saw (drill)to cut, units fill from underneath by un-screwing bottle. Use the more expensive ones, the cheapies at Home Depot do not have a large enough tube to suck up lotion. Found these at THE GREAT AMERICAN INDOORS, closely matches the brushed finish on the sink fixtures.
52. Galley Sink: same as Bathroom. Afer trying a number of different polishes, settled on Mothers Plastic Polish. I use it on everything, counters, stainless, shower. Easy on, easy off. ANY AUTO PARTS STORE
53. Since the Alpine was an upgrade, added a picture of our previous MH. Loved that Southwind. I did a great deal of work on this unit, traded it in on the Alpine, the Dealer sold it the same day for more than I paid for it four years prior.
54-55. Spice Pull Out: After always having to dig in the cabinet, came up with this idea for ease of use. The front is the old door, with pull re-mounted in center. HOME SHOP
56. Stainless support: Kind of hard to see in the picture. Our units basemant had sagged on the outside about one inch, even before adding any weight. The door catches would no longer keep doors closed. Easy fix: Screw-all rod cut and drilled through L Bracket underneath, mounted on outboard upper arm. Just tightened until everything was even. HOME DEPOT
57. Drawer Under Sink. Would never stay on track. Added two additional cross section boards underneath for support, and expoxy glued a little block where rail meets back wall. Has never failed since. HOME SHOP
58. Storage: Left side over sink. When I see "Air" in a compartment, I try to put something in it. HOME SHOP
59. Towell Rack. I like the ones that the center section rolls, towels slide on and off easily. I found these at The Great American Indoors, and they match the design and finish of the other fixtures.
60. TV Frame: After one instance of exiting a driveway with a good dip at the curb, our Bedroom TV flew out on the bed. The little block wasnt' enough to hold it. This frame is epoxy gluded to the TV, then to the outer cabinet.
HOME SHOP
62-63 Water Soften: One of the best things I have added. Sits right into service bay, easy 300-400 gallon capacity, re-charges in 15-minutes with table salt. The straps are for a TV Hold Down available at Camping World. RVUPGRADES.COM
64. Wheel Polish: Have tried most everything available at your local auto parts store. While this product is not the best I have tried, it surely rates as the easiest. DON'T used the cleaner, Simply Green works just fine. Pick up one of the little folding Camping Stools, perfect position, and keeps knees off the hard pavement. RVUPGRADES.COM
65. Wire Covers: Available Home Depot or Lowes. If you have a number of cords/cables, these are two piece and snap together

Hope you have enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed doing the work....... its fun

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #2

I have taken some pictures of most of the little fixes/improvements I have made to our Coach, and would very much like to share with any that may find them helpful.

I'll try to be as brief as possible, and list them by photo number. If any aditional information is needed, please let me know, and I will forward by email. Listed in CAPS at the end of each number is where I aquired the item.

Enjoy

Walt

1-2. If you find a need for an additional 115v receptacle on the right side of curbside basement, this will eliminate running extension cords.
3. If you have the Bose Radio in the bedroom. Using a hole saw, it is pretty easy to route the cables through counter up to the TV. Great Sound
4-9. Computer Desk: After looking at what a number of other people have done, this is what I came up with for my particular needs. HOME SHOP
10. A Cordless Vacuum comes in handy for the quick little clean up jobs. On the left of the Vanity Slide there is just enough room to mount, you can get power (hole saw) from the laundry center.CAMPING WORLD
11-17. CurbSide Basement: Used Kwikee HD units. Figured the maximum use of the basement floor to determind what sizes I wanted. Layed everything I wanted to put in the compartment out on the driveway, started cutting and glueing until everything had a home. CAMPING WORLD. Note photo 15, if you want adequate light on the patio, this fixture works great. You will have to cut (tin snipes) a recess hole to mount flush. CAMPING WORLD
18. Cutting Board: The two Koridan covers that came with the unit were always coming off. One instance during an hard brake, I almost got one in the back of the head. Bought a pre-fab one an inch larger than the opening, knotched the side and back to fit in, added the bull nose. Four little Velcro strips keep it in place. Great for extra counter space, and the board is aways there. When it gets a little cut up, I just take the sander to freshen up. CONTAINER STORE
19. Cutting Knifes: Three of these magnet blocks do the trick. Have never had one fly off. LINENS & THINGS
20-21. CurbSide Drapes: I found it always pain to keep pulling the entire section back and forth. Ran into a very nice Alpine couple in Zion that I got this idea from. There is a seam in the exact spot the separate the door. Just undid the seam and re-stiched, added three Velcro stripes for closure.
22. Drawers,Cabinets: Spent almost an entire weekend carpeting everything in the coach. What a difference it made for noise abatement. Very few rattles going gdown the road. HOME DEPOT
23. Drivers Side Basement Slider (back view). One unit holds patio carpet, four table chairs, table, Colman Grill. All from CAMPING WORLD
24-25. Hair Dryer: I'm the kind of guy that likes a place for everything. Saves pulling it out ech time and winding up the cord. Wiring in directly in to receptacle (cut a little notch in base plate) saves for an extra plug in. CAMPING WORLD
26-27. HD Receiver: (Dish 911) Not the unit that came with the coach, but will get HD Reception on satilite #110. What a difference. Had to cut back of cabinet and carpet in order for it to fit. If you have the problem I have experienced, receiver freezes up due to over heating. This little 3/4" LapTop Cooler works great. FRYS ELECTRONICS
28. Holding Tank Vents: After installing these, I have never had an odor smell inside the coach. Color Matched to roof line. CAMPING WORLD
29. Dual Thermometer: Battery operated. Easy to route outside probe behind window valance, push through the brush closure on the window. LINENS & THINGS
31-32. Awning Light: If you are like me, and want to have everything setup up as quickly as possible, this works. The Rope Light is not quite enough to read under, but great for most everything else. I cut it the exact lenght of the casing, and just roll it up inside the awning. It causes a small dis-configuration, but I have operated mine a hunded times with no probelms. In shortening the rope you will loose the first and last foot of lights. Fix: Take a short piece of #14-16 wire, strip just enough off the ends, bend into a U, then push in the cut end to reconnect the wires. A little silicone over the exposed wire holds it in place. CAMPING WORLD
33. Remote Controls: Saves having to plug everything in each time. One for Under Coach, Awning Light, and "Barking Dog" CAMPING WORLD, but LOWES has the smaller one for half the cost.
34. Rope Light Under Coach: Just enough light to keep from tripping over things in the dark. A NEWELL pulled in next to me at a park once that had more lights on it than most Semis, this idead I liked. CAMPING WORLD
35-36. Oil Blow By: Tired of cleaning the oil spots off the end section behind the motor? This works. Use a plastic water bottle (heaviest you can find, the heat will dis-stort the lighter ones), with slightly less than 7/8" opening, drill a series of holes in top to equal at least the ID of rubber breather hose, slip the bottle on about half way, leaving enough room to catch the oil, but not bottom out.... a little Duct Tape, and you are in business. The picture showing mount has about 1/2" of oil that has taken about 6 months to collect.
38-39. Reading lights: The over head lights in the front of our unit only work with the key on. If you want it to be individual by side, and flexable, these work great. ROBERT BOSCH brand, found somewhere on the WEB
41. Awning Light Power. A strip of velcro holds modual in place. Don't forget to take down before rolling upo awning.
42. Water Proof Receptacle: Spliced into Dryer power on other side of wall, color matched to coach paint. Now I do not have to run extension cords for lights, and also for my George Foreman quicky grill. LOWES
43. Motion Sensor: This is one little great addition for having piece of mind while sleeping in remote areas, or anywhere for that matter. Its a small little box that "Barks Like A Dog", we have in the cabinet under the Vanity. If anyone approaches the outside, the box lets you know. The nice thing about this Guard Dog, doesnt' require frequent potty stops, doesnt' eat much. SMARTHOME.COM
44. Rock Guard: There are a number available, this is a nice one, easy to install, and company will put what ever you like in letters. RIVERSIDE ENTERPRISES
44-45. Security System: All Wireless. Have contacts on windows, front door, with motion sensor in living area. Has a ton of features, most you will not use. Need two people to install, one to read instructions (hate that part), another to push buttons. SMARTHOME.COM
47-48. Shoe Storage: These canvas pockets help to keep from having a stack of shoes in the closet, and never finding what you are looking for. If you use one side for pants, there is enough room on the wall to mount a second unit. Bought one (12pairs), but none of my shoes got to use it, bought a second and the wife lets me use two.... how woman can have more shoes that there are days of the month, is beyon me.... love them tho CAMPING WORLD
49-50. Shower Despensers: These save having to always put stuff away. Keeps bottom of shower un-cluttered, especially when your wife has to have something different of everything. HOME DEPOT
51. Bath Sink: Keeps clutter of the counter. As in the kitchen, using a hole saw (drill)to cut, units fill from underneath by un-screwing bottle. Use the more expensive ones, the cheapies at Home Depot do not have a large enough tube to suck up lotion. Found these at THE GREAT AMERICAN INDOORS, closely matches the brushed finish on the sink fixtures.
52. Galley Sink: same as Bathroom. Afer trying a number of different polishes, settled on Mothers Plastic Polish. I use it on everything, counters, stainless, shower. Easy on, easy off. ANY AUTO PARTS STORE
53. Since the Alpine was an upgrade, added a picture of our previous MH. Loved that Southwind. I did a great deal of work on this unit, traded it in on the Alpine, the Dealer sold it the same day for more than I paid for it four years prior.
54-55. Spice Pull Out: After always having to dig in the cabinet, came up with this idea for ease of use. The front is the old door, with pull re-mounted in center. HOME SHOP
56. Stainless support: Kind of hard to see in the picture. Our units basemant had sagged on the outside about one inch, even before adding any weight. The door catches would no longer keep doors closed. Easy fix: Screw-all rod cut and drilled through L Bracket underneath, mounted on outboard upper arm. Just tightened until everything was even. HOME DEPOT
57. Drawer Under Sink. Would never stay on track. Added two additional cross section boards underneath for support, and expoxy glued a little block where rail meets back wall. Has never failed since. HOME SHOP
58. Storage: Left side over sink. When I see "Air" in a compartment, I try to put something in it. HOME SHOP
59. Towell Rack. I like the ones that the center section rolls, towels slide on and off easily. I found these at The Great American Indoors, and they match the design and finish of the other fixtures.
60. TV Frame: After one instance of exiting a driveway with a good dip at the curb, our Bedroom TV flew out on the bed. The little block wasnt' enough to hold it. This frame is epoxy gluded to the TV, then to the outer cabinet.
HOME SHOP
62-63 Water Soften: One of the best things I have added. Sits right into service bay, easy 300-400 gallon capacity, re-charges in 15-minutes with table salt. The straps are for a TV Hold Down available at Camping World. RVUPGRADES.COM
64. Wheel Polish: Have tried most everything available at your local auto parts store. While this product is not the best I have tried, it surely rates as the easiest. DON'T used the cleaner, Simply Green works just fine. Pick up one of the little folding Camping Stools, perfect position, and keeps knees off the hard pavement. RVUPGRADES.COM
65. Wire Covers: Available Home Depot or Lowes. If you have a number of cords/cables, these are two piece and snap together

Hope you have enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed doing the work....... its fun

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #3

You must have a great job to have this much time to tinker with the Alpine
Great work. IF or WHEN I get my rig back from ther dealer, I will begin the work on mine. The current project is the custom storage slides. I will take some pictures as I build them.

I will find a weekend to hang out with you one of these days.

David
05 Alpine
Old 05-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #4

Walt wins.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #5

Walt.......I agree with EngineerMike YOU WIN!!!!

Some great ideas....I'm making my list. Basement items come first...I take it you bought carpet at Home depot?

mike
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #6

rockcj:

A tip on installing the basement sliders. After you have the base parts put together and ready to drill holes. Make sure you have the face plate at least 1 1/2" back from the basement edge rail. Otherwise it will interfer with the locking arm of the closure. After you get the set up positioned, mark the holes with a heavy marking pen, easier to see where they are on the grey carpet. Use a yowell to punch a starter hole, then take a razor knife to cut a cross "X" where you are going to drill. If not your drill bit will twist up a good section of the carpet. I used galvanized coated carriage bolts to attached to floor. They have flat heads, and will not rust.
I've got the next couple of weekends tied up. It's kind of a long story,but I started a project car with my son 15 years ago (he is 31 now), finally and 25,000.00 later we will fire the 240HP motor in his 62 VW...... before he moves to Bend, Ore. The first weekend in June we will have the coach at the Temecula Ballon & Wine Festival, after that I would love to have you drive over to Cerritos.

Neal:
Thanks for the nice email, happy to hear you and Mary are doing fine. I'm really excited you read the tip I posted on the Drapes, it was your idea. The little mis-hap we had in the sand at Zion was a mess, but visiting with you and Mary made our stay enjoyable. I'll drop you a note on the Tequilas, have found a bunch of new good ones. Julie is going to kill me, but I have my eye on a bottle I found costing 375.00

Take care,
Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Indio:

Enjoy

Walt

3. If you have the Bose Radio in the bedroom. Using a hole saw, it is pretty easy to route the cables through counter up to the TV. Great Sound. Hole covers are from FRYS ELECTRONICS
11-17. CurbSide Basement: Used Kwikee HD units. Figured the maximum use of the basement floor to determind what sizes I wanted. Layed everything out I wanted to put in the compartment on the driveway, started cuttingsawing, and glueing until everything had a home. CAMPING WORLD. Note photo 15, if you want adequate light on the patio, this fixture works great. You will have to cut (tin snipes) a recess hole in order to mount flush. CAMPING WORLD
18. Cutting Board: The two Koridan covers for the stove top that came with the unit were always coming off. One instance during an hard braking suituation, I almost got one in the back of the head. Bought a pre-fab board,an 1 1/2"larger than the opening, knotched the side and back to fit in, added the bull nose. Four little Velcro strips keep it in place. Great for extra counter space, and the board is aways there. When it gets a little cut up, I just take the sander to freshen up. CONTAINER STORE
20-21. CurbSide Drapes: I found it always a pain to keep pulling the entire section back and forth. Ran into a very nice Alpine couple in Zion that I got this idea from. There is a seam in the exact spot that separates the door. Just undid the seam and re-stiched, added three Velcro stripes for closure.
24-25. Hair Dryer: I'm the kind of guy that likes a place for everything. Saves pulling it out each time and winding up the cord. Wiring directly into the receptacle (cut a little notch in base plate) saves for an extra plug. CAMPING WORLD
26-27. HD Receiver: (Dish 911) Not the unit that came with the coach, but will get HD Reception on satellite #110. What a difference. Had to cut back of cabinet and carpet in order for it to fit. If you have the problem we experience, receiver freezes up due to over heating. This little 3/4" LapTop Cooler works great. FRYS ELECTRONICS
28. Holding Tank Vents: After installing these, I have never had a odor smell inside the coach. Color Matched to roof line. CAMPING WORLD
31-32. Awning Light: If you are like me, and want to have everything setup up as quickly as possible, this works. The Rope Light is not quite enough to read under, but great for most everything else. I cut it the exact lenght of the casing, then just roll it up inside the awning. It causes a small dis-configuration, but I have operated mine a hunded times with no probelms. In shortening the rope you will loose the first and last foot of lights. Fix: Take a short piece of #14-16 wire, strip just 1/4" off the ends, bend into a U, then push into the cut end to reconnect the wires. A little silicone over the exposed wire holds it in place. CAMPING WORLD
35-36. Oil Blow By: Tired of cleaning the oil spots off the end section behind the motor? This works. Use a plastic water bottle (heaviest you can find, the heat will dis-stort the lighter ones), with a slightly less than 7/8" opening, drill a series of holes in top to equal at least the ID of rubber breather hose, slip the bottle on about half way, leaving enough room to catch the oil, but not bottom out.... a little Duct Tape, and you are in business. The picture showing the mount has about 1/2" of oil that has taken about 6 months to collect.
38-39. Reading lights: The over head lights in the front of our unit only work with the key on, and are dis-tracting while moving. If you want it to be individual by side, and flexable, these work great. ROBERT BOSCH brand, found somewhere on the WEB
41. Awning Light Power. A strip of velcro holds modual in place. Don't forget to take down before rolling up awning.
43. Motion Sensor: This is one little great addition for having piece of mind while sleeping in remote areas, or anywhere for that matter. Its a small little box that "Barks Like A Dog", we have it in the cabinet under the Vanity. If anyone approaches the outside, the box lets you know. The nice thing about this Guard Dog, doesnt' require frequent potty stops, and doesnt' eat much. SMARTHOME.COM
47-48. Shoe Storage: These canvas pockets help to keep from having a stack of shoes in the closet, and never finding tow that match. If you use one side of the closet for pants, there is enough room on the wall to mount a second unit. Bought one (12pairs), but none of my shoes got to use it, bought a second and the wife lets me use two.... how woman can have more shoes than there are days of the month, is beyond me.... love them tho CAMPING WORLD
51. Bath Sink: Keeps clutter of the counter. As in the kitchen, using a hole saw (drill)to cut, units fill from underneath by un-screwing bottle. Use the more expensive ones, the cheapies at Home Depot do not have a large enough tube to suck up thick lotion. Found these at THE GREAT AMERICAN INDOORS, closely matches the brushed finish on the sink fixtures.
52. Galley Sink: same as Bathroom. Afer trying a number of different polishes, settled on Mothers Plastic Polish. I use it on everything, counters, stainless, shower. Easy on, easy off. MOST AUTO PARTS STOREs
56. Stainless support: Kind of hard to see in the picture. Our units basemant had sagged on the outside about one inch, even before adding any weight. The door catches would no longer keep doors locked. Easy fix: Use screw-all rod, cut and drilled through L Bracket underneath, mounted on outboard upper arm. Just tightened until everything was even. HOME DEPOT
60. TV Frame: After one instance of exiting a driveway with a good dip at the curb, our Bedroom TV flew out on the bed. The little block wasnt' enough to hold it. This frame is epoxy gluded to the TV, then screw mounted to the outer cabinet.
HOME SHOP
62-63 Water Soften: One of the best things I have added. Sits right into service bay, easy 300-400 gallon capacity, re-charges in 15-minutes with simple table salt. The straps are for a TV Hold Down available at Camping World. RVUPGRADES.COM
64. Wheel Polish: Have tried most everything available at your local auto parts store. While this product is not the best I have tried, it surely rates as the easiest. DON'T use the cleaner, Simply Green works just fine. Pick up one of the little folding Camping Stools, perfect position, and keeps knees off the hard pavement. RVUPGRADES.COM

Walt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-22-2005, 12:15 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Walt:

Your photos are most impressive. We all love to tinker with our coaches, but you are the guru.

I noticed you have a water softener installed; have you considered a reverse osmosis system that will soften and purify at the same time? You might want to check out www.vagabondwater.com and see their 300 gallon per day fully automatic system. No regeneration required - no muss, no fuss - just hook up the hose and enjoy. three hundred gallons/day is enough to use for washing your rig and dingy too.

Frank Rouse
Vagabondman

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
So far, I've only installed one slider, quickly discovered the propensity for the carpet to wrap itself around the drill. My solution was a half-round chisel (wood lathe tool) and a rubber mallet. Mark the hole location, then chisel out about a 3/4 inch hole in the carpet (holding the chisel vertically, takes about 3 bites for a full circumference.) Hope that's clear ---
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #10

Walt, my wife Cathy just discovered your 65 improvements but alas you pics link has long expired. Would it be possible for you to renew the link or something because we would love to see them. I am very impressed with what you had written.
Thanks,
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #11

Wow!! Yu take the prize. Wonderfull stuff. Have done a lot myself. Was interested in the Bosch reading lamps. Where did you find them. Also FYI, I used a Sears (apartment size) soft water unit in our 03 40ft triple. It fits in the bay just ahead of the driver side rear wheel in the same bay I installed a spring retract 30ft water hose with pressure gauge. The soft water unit is electronic and automatic with salt storage. I used a reverse osmosis system bought from Home Depot for $150 bucks. All work together and perfectly.