Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #1

We have been at Lathrop State park in Colorado for a few days. Yesterday my honey said we didn't seem to be as level as we were. In checking, the left rear jack was sunk into the asphalt about 4". I leveled up the corner manually. We will be here another 10 days. If the HWH springs are not enough to retract the jack my plan is to inflate the two rear tires from 100 to 115-120. My thinking is that should be enough to break the jack free.
I thought I'd post this before I tried it in case someone has a different or better idea.
I'll also be buying pads.
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #2

We have been at Lathrop State park in Colorado for a few days. Yesterday my honey said we didn't seem to be as level as we were. In checking, the left rear jack was sunk into the asphalt about 4". I leveled up the corner manually. We will be here another 10 days. If the HWH springs are not enough to retract the jack my plan is to inflate the two rear tires from 100 to 115-120. My thinking is that should be enough to break the jack free.
I thought I'd post this before I tried it in case someone has a different or better idea.
I'll also be buying pads.
Thanks

Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #3

CnD,
That happened to me in the dirt behind my RV slab. Had a devil of a time getting the leveler foot outa the hole. Stretched one spring in the process. I too drove the foot down further B4 figuring out I had a problem, exacerbating the fix. You may want to get it out sooner rather than later after it gets stuck deeper.
Firing up the engine to inflate the bags will help.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with EngineerMike, better to see what happens now than to wait until departure time. Increasing tire pressure in all four tires is a lot of work (increase four times then decrease four times)and is unlikely to raise the coach enough to make any difference. If you have manually supported that corner-- then retracting the jacks won't lower the coach at that corner and you will quickly find out if you need to give that jack a nudge to break it loose.

Norm
Old 06-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #5

I would agree with Norm, raising the tire pressure is not likely to make any difference. Better have a plan B. Sorry I can't help with that, other than EngineerMike's suggestion to start the coach and let the suspension raise the coach. But if that end was the low end in the first place and the jack raised it, that might not work either.

I bought pads a few months ago, figuring I had pushed my luck long enough.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chris:

For my $0.02 I would attempt to raise the jacks and if it does not rise, I would than start the coach and let the air suspension raise the coach and the jack. The jack should come out of the hole and the HWH should lift the jack on its own. Just like EngineerMike suggested.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Turned out to be much ado about nothing. Started the coach, raised the jacks and backed up 2'. Didn't even lose the Direcway signal.