Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Inoperative Slide and Jack pump

Hi all,

I have a 98 FD Alpine. This past weekend my slide became stuck (about an inch out) when trying to extract the slide. After attempting to extend or retract the slide (no sound or movement with either, I stored the jacks and attempted to redeploy the jacks but they would not deploy. The Green travel light was on so I made my way back home. On the way home I stopped for gas but the generator slide would also not open despite the fact that the light in both the switches for the Room slide and Generator slide come on when switched on. I was able to make it home with a little fuel to spare and am now trying to figure out the problem. When I attempt to deploy the jacks I hear a click on the control board and then about 30 seconds later an audible click in the service bay where the solenoids (and pump) are but the pump does not engage and the jacks do not deploy. I had a deteriorating house battery so replaced that yesterday but had no impact. Of note, my control board for the system was replaced a couple of years ago.

I have really come to value and appreciate the wisdom on this site and would welcome any and all ideas as I have a limited amount of fuel left to get to a service center.

Thank you again.

florida egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
It sounds to me like your HWH pump motor quit. I've had it happen while putting the gen slide out for fueling. Luckily, mine went out about 6 - 8" before quitting. It's very possible that your battery problem took a toll on the pump motor.

The only way to know for sure is to use a voltmeter to monitor the terminal of the pump motor for 12+ volts. If you read good voltage on the pump motor when pressing the extend switch but it's not running, then it's bad. It self grounds internally so there's only 1 - terminal with a large red cable attached. Some folks have reported that tapping the motor with a hammer can sometimes get it to come to life temporarily.

If you don't have any voltage on the pump motor, then you could have a bad solenoid relay. There are typically 2 - solenoids strapped to the motor. The left solenoid (based upon my '03 configuration) is the main pump relay and operates for all HWH operations EXCEPT the gen slide. There should be a solenoid to the right which is dedicated to the gen slide. I've also had this solenoid short out thus blowing the fuse that feeds the console. Since you're hearing "clicks", the fuse should be OK.

Theoretically, if the gen solenoid is bad then the jacks and slides would still work. Since they don't I'll be surprised if your pump motor is not the problem. I've gone through 3 since owning my '03 and I'm not the original owner. Maintaining the very best voltage to the HWH system is important to longer pump motor life.

Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
The same thing has happened to me twice and both times it was the HWH pump motor. I was fortunate and the Gen slide came out about 3 or 4 inches which allowed me to fuel the coach and I drove home that way, I just did connected the buzzer.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
When our HWH did that I used the old Chevy starter motor trick. I had the key in the accessory position and had my wife hold the gen rocker switch in the retract position. While she did that, I rapped on the HWH pump motor with a hammer and started. It quit after a few seconds but restarted when I rapped on it again. I was able to get the generator slide retracted and replaced the motor.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

It is the motor. The "old Chevy" trick worked. Couple of taps on the motor while pressing the switch and it started up. Will be replacing the motor. Thank you everyone for your assistance.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

You may want to read this post , before you spend $$ on a motor.

HWH Pump motor failure
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Thanks Skip

Will do.