Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Inside A/C cover falls to floor. Nothing in ceiling to screw into.

On the way home with our new (to us) coach, the interior A/C cover fell to the floor. Examination revealed that the screws were attached to foam insulation only. I ran a bamboo skewer into each hole until it stopped and measured it. it went in 5 inches and hit the underside of the fiberglass roof. The dealer replaced the front A/C gasket before we took delivery and discovered that the air horn hose had been routed across the A/C gasket. I'm not sure what, if anything can be done to create a solid attachment to screw into above the headliner. We have the vinyl spongy ceiling, not the fuzzy one. Any thoughts? I'm not comfortable removing the plenum, plus it looks like quite a bit of hard spray in foam insulation was used to reassemble the unit after replacing the gasket.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

The ceiling foam could be useful if you gain enough contact area. Drill the screw holes out to 1/2" diameter for depth of~3". Glue in a 3"piece of 1/2" dowel. Mark & predrill screw holes & voila.
Gorilla glue or epoxy would be my choices.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Now *that's* clever. What an elegant solution! Thank you, Mike. As the kids would say: "#impressed".
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Duct tape always works in a crisis situation. Add a little Velcro and it will stay put. Wife doesn't allow me to use any power tools as she is afraid I'll hurt myself. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think a small piece of aluminum, or even wood could be put into a pocket carved out of the foam, then a can of insulation foam could be used to lock it in place, holes drilled, and the cover secured. If there's nothing to limit it, a piece long enough to cover a side, from corner to corner could be more easily and firmly foamed in place. Spray foam is incredibly sticky when wet, but once cured, you can carve the over-expansion away. Use the type that has limited expansion properties.
Is there a second A/C? How is that cover fastened in place? I'm curious how it was secured in the first place. Why and what mods were done to leave the cover so poorly fastened?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Yeah, I'm curious too but not curious enough to remove the rear one to find out. I think I'll leave well enough alone until something happens to cause me to remove it. Perhaps there was luaun up front but the leak caused it to rot away? No staining on the headliner however. Good responses here. Please keep thinking...
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Fortunately it has been years since I took my inside cover off of the A/C, but I believe the screws originally went into a thin sheet of plywood that is part of the foam sandwich that created the ceiling. It is probably only 1/4" plywood and easy to strip out.

If there is plywood that is stripped out, you might try using a speed nut of it is close to the edge, which it should be. Like this:

Fold over clips, Speed nuts, Bolt retainers. Regular or Bulk Packaging

ACE would have them if that would work.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

Mine seat into a small strip of sheet metal angled at 45degrees at each corner. Not sure how that strip is anchored.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The inside cover is SUPPOSED to screw into the ceiling unit (The part that goes through the roof) not to the motor home... Somebody screwed up (in this case literally since you drive the screw UP into the metal of the duct work).
Old 02-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
WRV used Coleman AC units on the Apex (not Dometic) and a chillgrille that looks like this:
Coleman-Mach ChillGrille for Air Conditioner, Heat Ready, Lateral Ducts, White - Rv Products 8330E635 - Air Conditioner Accessories - Camping World

For whatever design reason, the grill is not connected to the sheet metal of the AC unit itself, but screwed into the thin luan ceiling. I recall 75598 having plastic drywall anchors as some kind of fix for the screws pulling out. (Probably @ Camp WRV service).

Other Apex owners experience/observations?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I guess there is luaun up there but I can't tell how far it extends beyond the plenum. I sure don't feel any near the screw holes for the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4766.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	55135  
Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Here are some other views of the area in question. Have I assembled the metal plate with weatherstripping correctly in the cover?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4762.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	55136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4763.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	55137  

Name:	DSCN4764.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	55138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4765.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	55139  

Old 02-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Okay, holes drilled, dowels cut, monkey glued and inserted. I'll give it a few days to cure then mount the cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4840.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	55239  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

Oh man. I hope that works.

Tags
ceiling, scr