Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #1

Installed Manual Regen Switch on 08-09

WRV programmed the ISL 425 for auto regen when needed. That is fine as long as does what it is supposed to do. Mine has never worked right, or maybe it doesn't display right on my Silverleaf. It is supposed go from Yellow regen required to Red regen required, and last to Red regen inhibited. The last time went from green no errors directly to regen inhibited. If it doesn't do an auto regen on the engine and you keep driving too long, it will start to derate or start loosing power. You would have find a dealer with Cummins Insite computer to do manual regen soon. Cummins said there is no problem with my auto regen. Siverleaf said there is no problem with my VMS 400CL as they could program all 3 codes in and it works fine. I kind of think it may be a communication problem. The bottom line, I don't trust all that auto things to work right. I installed a manual regen switch that will work with the auto regen still. The only problem I had, that Cummins did not want to install a manual switch, since the OEM (WRV) programmed it to be auto regen. However, it is easy to install a manual regen switch yourself. Cummins did tell how to put the switch in.

The parts cost about $20. You need a Cummins pigtail wire #3164263 and a Cole Hersee momentary on switch #55020-BX. Also you need some 16 gauge wire. Use a 4mm allen wrench to remove the ECM screw in the plug (see picture). Remove plug. There are 80 holes in the plug. They are 10 across and are numbered on the end. Pin 20 is on the end of the second row (See wiring diagram). Pull out the blue plug. Push the Cummins wire in until it snaps in. Reinstall the plug. I butt spliced the cummins wire with the 16 gauge wire and installed the switch on the wall of the battery box. From the switch, the wire just goes to ground. They said to make sure I had a good ground, so I went to a ground stud on the block. In order for the switch to work you would have to take it to someone with a Cummins insite computer,to have the parameters changed to use a manual switch in addition. The auto regen will still work.

As far as using it, you cannot do a manual regen until the engine calls for a regen. You will have to be parked and remain parked. You SHOULD read all the warnings in the Cummins owner manual about the HIGH TEMPS, 1100 degrees out the exhaust pipe.If you are by something flammable, you could start a fire! Make sure you are clear of the exhaust pipe. Just hold the switch on for about 2-3 seconds and release. The engine will speed up to about 1200 rpm for up to 45 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regen pic.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	15119  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins ECM wiring.pdf (359.0 KB, 145 views)
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
manual