Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #1

Installing Dish DVR Receiver

I would like to switch out our old Dish Receiver for a new Dish DVR unit. I contacted Dish and they say they won't help install anything in a MH. Has anyone done this and if so what are the problems or complications if any. I know most of the new receivers are set up to get more than one satellite and with the kingdome we only lock on the 119. How do I get the receiver to accept this set up. I have a Dish DVR at home and would really miss it if we can't use it in the MH.

Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

I have Directv, so I can't be of much help. But my Kingdome 9702 manual mentions a multi-satellite switch for Dish 500 users, which will toggle between the 119 and 110 satellites. So possibly you need an upgrade kit of some sort on your Kingdome. I would start talking with Kingdome first, not Dish. They will know what you can and cannot get with their satellite dish.

But having put a DVR in my coach, I encourage you to do it!!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Which model receiver? We've used a 612 with a King Dome that was setup to switch between satellites. It's a programming thing on the King Dome. We currently have a 722 dual tuner receiver that wasn't happy with the dome so we upgraded the dish to a Winegard Travl'r.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #4

Boy we don't know who you talked to but they don't have a clue what they are talking about. We had a Winegard HD antenna installed and dish installed the new HD, DVR receiver in our motor home no questions asked. I would suggest you just try again and hopefully get someone who knows what they are talking about. Tell them you want the HD for life upgrade and there should be no problem.
Good luck,
Lyle & Cath
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I think the issue is self install versus DISH vendor install. To install it yourself, verify the Kingdome is compatible or if it needs an upgrade (call King Dome). If you want DISH to install it, you'll actually be setting up service via a DISH authorized vendor/installer. They'll likely install for free if it's a new account or for a charge if it is in addition to your home account.

Some DISH installers know RV's some don't.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #6

There are dealers who install and work on rv satellite systems. There is a dealer in Vancouver, WA, Mike Vejar. I know he is a little ways from you. I can only find his email address mikevejar@cloudcasters.com . I bought a Motosat System from him in Jan 2010 and installed it myself. I am sure he can help you out.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Gary,
Another choice, also in Vancouver, is Juan Armendariz dba fixasat. I have tried contacting Mike Vejar on a couple of occassions, calling multiple times over several days. He finally returned my call after a couple of weeks. Juan was much more responsive. Juan's #: (360)904-8340.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle & Cath View Post
Boy we don't know who you talked to but they don't have a clue what they are talking about. We had a Winegard HD antenna installed and dish installed the new HD, DVR receiver in our motor home no questions asked. I would suggest you just try again and hopefully get someone who knows what they are talking about. Tell them you want the HD for life upgrade and there should be no problem.
Good luck,
Lyle & Cath
I don't think he's looking for HD. I think the DVR was the issue.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had no trouble at all... Go to a DISH installer/dealer and do the job in his parking lot.

I will make some suggestions though and give you some info.

If you have an IN MOTION antenna (DOME always a DOME) then the unit has one LNB, may be a Single (one output) or dual (Two Outputs) you must have a dual. Also it won't be able to get but one satellite at a time (one LNB One sat) and this may be a problem because Well, Network TV is on 119, Halmark channel on 110. and HD on the other one.

IF you have a 2 or 3 LNB dish.. NOT a problem

IF your Dome is a SINGLE (One output) you can only run one receiver.

(or you can only get 1/2 the transponders, even or odd, receiver 1's choice)

Now, page 2.

Dishnetwork DVR,, at least the one I had, has two remotes and TWO coax outputs.. One outputs on channel 3 or 4the other on a UHF channel you pick (You get quite a choice) I ran both one to each of the ports on a splitter and combined them to the distribution system in my coach.. THe RF remote took care of the UHF output and let me watch a different show or channel than what wife was watching. Very nice..

DirecTV has yet to figure that one out and thus can not do it.

Suggestion: TiVo,, A good stand alone TiVo you may wish to add a 2nd Dish Network receiver but with a good Stand Alone TiVo you would get

All the capability of your antenna and DISH.. PLUS the ability to record over the air.. Cat-5 linking lets you watch a "Main TV' show on the Bedroom Tv or the other way around.. Very nice.

About the only thing better would be if Replay went back into production.. (I use replays in the configuration I just described)
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And one more note: If you have an in-motion satellite, DON'T DO IT.
You can't have a DVR receiver powered up while the coach is moving because you WILL crash the hard disk drive in the receiver and reduce it to a brick.

If you need in-motion, you need a non-dvr receiver.
If you need both in motion and a DVR, get a non-dvr receiver for while you're moving and make sure you have a way to be SURE the dvr is powered off before you move the coach. (You can't just replace the disk if it crashes - it has the software for the receiver on it, so dish has to replace them at their facility$$$).
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
And one more note: If you have an in-motion satellite, DON'T DO IT.
You can't have a DVR receiver powered up while the coach is moving because you WILL crash the hard disk drive in the receiver and reduce it to a brick.

If you need in-motion, you need a non-dvr receiver.
If you need both in motion and a DVR, get a non-dvr receiver for while you're moving and make sure you have a way to be SURE the dvr is powered off before you move the coach. (You can't just replace the disk if it crashes - it has the software for the receiver on it, so dish has to replace them at their facility$$$).
Wow. I didn't know that! I wonder why.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #12

The hard drive recording head will contact the spinning disk, damaging a spot on it. Damage a spot where the operating system resides, it won't boot.

Unlike laptops, desktop computers and DVR's are not designed to be moved while operating.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
The hard drive recording head will contact the spinning disk, damaging a spot on it. Damage a spot where the operating system resides, it won't boot.

Unlike laptops, desktop computers and DVR's are not designed to be moved while operating.
Hmmm... my HD DVR has about 8000 miles on it at this point and is never powered down. Maybe I've just been lucky but I thought both the DVR and the three laptops that run while I'm traveling all used the same Winchester technology. Maybe the drives in the laptops are "rugedized" some how though. Powering down the DVR for each travel leg would require actually unplugging it and sure make start up each time a pain.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD