Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:43 AM   #1
Is it possable to install a larger HW heater? There looks like there is enough room to put a 12 or 16 gal HW heater in place of the 10 gal heater on a 2000 40'. Has anyone swapped out heaters for a larger one. Something I'm considering.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Is it possable to install a larger HW heater? There looks like there is enough room to put a 12 or 16 gal HW heater in place of the 10 gal heater on a 2000 40'. Has anyone swapped out heaters for a larger one. Something I'm considering.....
Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Why???? My wife and I can both take showers and not run out of hot water even when the input water is quite cold. We only use the electric side; if we needed more we could turn on the propane side also. For some reason our Alpine (1999 40ft)came with a low temp thermostat for the electric side. We changed that out and no problems since.
gamaca015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that the latest 12 gallon water heaters are designed to fit into the same cavity as a 10 gallon heater. Don't know about anything larger though.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
Wife & I have gotten by on a 5 gallon heater. I don't know how she gets clean (short shower) but I more than make up for her. We always ran it on propane. Before trying a swap, try switching to propane just B4 showers. Then back to electric.
We ordered the Hydro-Hot for our new coach, so we don't get the blow-torch water heater. It is either diesel or electric, and some folks say to switch to diesel B4 showers as the electric may not keep up. Same story different fuel; electric water heating is slow.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
FWIW, we get plenty of hot waters for showers with our Hydro-Hot on electric. In fact we had to turn the thermostat way down because it was getting too hot for us.

Maybe it's just us, and maybe we don't use a whole lot of water. But the system seems to keep up with demand just fine even when I'm washing my long hair.

Taking all showers at the motorhome and doing the dishes every day or two it seems to take us 2 weeks to fill our grey water tank. This seems short of miraculous to us!

For the life of me I never dreamed of a motorhome where I could wait 1.5 to 2 weeks to dump the tanks, and that's even without being that careful about usage although our little Casita trained us well in water conservation.

36ft 2006 Alpine Coach FDDS
Audrey & John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
"Mindcandies", we had a 10Gal. hot water heater on our 44' boat and never had a problem running out of hot water. I intentionally took a shower until I ran out of hot water and got almost 13 minutes and the recovery rate is quite good. Even the electric that Hydro hot has which is not as efficient which we had in our Monaco we never had a problem. If you have typical kids send them up to the showers at the campground. They are clueless as to when to get out of a shower.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote