Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Smile Installing paddle fans

We have a FDTS40 2003 Alpine:
I am installing 36"low profile ceiling paddle 12Vdc fans with remote control.
The front A/C compartment has a red & a white 12 Ga wires not connected and with no power. I have the schematics etc. which do not show them.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE OTHER ENDS ARE?
It would be helpful to have 12VDC them.
I am planning on using a 12VDC 2amp power supply powered off the 110vac to the A/C. Not as clean but will function.
I have to locate the fans off the centerline so as not to drill into the A/C duct.

tow a 2008 Honda CRV
Ray Jeske

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ray,

I believe that the power source for the AC controls and wiring could be inside the cabinet next to the frig where the tank monitors & inverter/charger control is located. I found some very interesting wiring inside that cabinet when I installed a new Xantrex AGS. Ultimately, the AC units are powered by A/C via the breaker panel in the bathroom cabinet. The 12VDC control wiring obviously comes from the Duotherm control on the wall below the previously mentioned cabinet and the actual source is in the auto fuses located inside the bathroom cabinet.

However, consider that any 12VDC power sources appearing in that cabinet &/or from the Duotherm control is fused to handle specific loads and arbitrarily adding those fans could overload the associated circuit.

One thought is that you could possibly tap into the original water pump power source if you modify the actual pump power source as I've done (others have also done). I added a relay to the water pump that's sourced from the Glendinning Cable Reel (25 amps) using a toggle switch to select reel vs. pump. The original source for the pump from that cabinet next to the frig then powers the relay as opposed to the pump. Since the pump is rated for 10 amps, that amount of power (close to it) would be available for your fan if you can wire to it.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

I am considering adding a fan in the bedroom, but have not totally scienced it out. In looking at fan specs, they are only drawing a max of about 1.2 amps, which is not much. My thought has been to splice into one of the light fixtures on the ceiling and go through the foam with the wire to the fan. There is a wall switch that controls the power. You could leave the lights off when you want to use the fan. We use those lights very little. I have not spent any time figuring out how to securely mount the fan. There should be enough structure at the A/C unit that it could be secured there.

Others thoughts or has someone done?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry Davis put a fan in his bedroom, maybe he will chime in here.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

A friend with an Alpine installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom, and got 12v power from the Fantastic vent fan in the vanity area nearby. He said it worked fine. Even had a wireless remote. He ran the wires through the A/C ducts running through the coach. I think he poked a short hole through the foam from the vent rough opening to the duct channel. Neat and clean.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #6

Jim A is talking about my bedroom fan. Really easy install through the AC tunnel. 12V available at fantastic fan in bathroom area. When installing I installed the switch at the fantastic fan area. The fan is agreat addition to the coach and works well to keep the bedroom cool in the summer.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #7

Rusty Bear, how did you locate your ceiling supports? I have a soft ceiling and have not been able to locate any type of supports to attach my fan to. JH
Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 AM   #8

I removed an existing vent cover and adding a 1/4 inch cherry base plate to mount the fan.
What coach do you have?
It helps to know what coach you are trying to add the fan.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

I just did this install on my 03, 36ft. 3 weeks ago. Got the fan from Amazon. Has remote & wall switch. Once I got into it, very easy install. On mine, if you remove the air conditioning cover, and metal plate cover inside, you can reach into the air conditioning vent that leads to the rear and be able to determine if the vent is metal or not. Mine was, and made a perfect scenario for mounting the fan up into it with sheet metal screws. Plenty strong. Bring your fan wires up into the duct, and out of the metal box. There is a chase already existing, from the passenger side of the air conditioning housing over to the small, recessed 12v ceiling light. From there is a chase that runs to behind the TV cabinet. From there, I ran the wires over to the wall switch that I installed next to the ceiling light wall switch. I ran the power wire down to the back of the 12v fuse panel in the same cabinet that I was already in, drilled a small hole through to the panel and attached the wire to a blank space that was available on the fuse panel. I attached the neutral wire to the neutral bar on the floor next to the inverter. Purchase a fiberglass pole wire puller set (looks like fishing poles without the eyelets) You will find it perfect for pulling wires in tight spaces. Chases are very tight, so do yourself a favor, do not try this without the poles.
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Smile Paddle Fans

It sounds like there are many with the same idea.
I have the FR/front fan mounted. My ceiling has at least 1/4"plywood..very solid. I used the expanding fold down nuts that you push into a 3/8" hole and run the 1/4" bolt tight, then reverse it and take it out to bolt the fan.(3) places. The nut is firmly clamped into the ceiling.
I bought my 36" fans on Amazon also. They are rated at 1.2amps full speed.
I pushed a 3/8" rod from the A/C compartment to the rear about 18" about 4" to the left side of the A/C duct. I pulled a piece of trailer 4 strand flat wire thru and mounted the remote control switch in the compartment.
Now the 12VDC? That was my original? There are the red and white unused 10 GA. wires? So I took a different course! I found on ebay 12VDC 2 amp transformer type(I think) power units that have a 120 VAC cord and plug. I opened the A/C 120v connection single gang box and wired in a duplex socket. Now I can plug the PS into it (when I get them from China..$4.05 ea. & free shipping). The 120vac is always on to AC.
The bathroom fan is too far. I hadn't thought about running wire in the AC duct. I guess if you seal the holes around the wires that would work.
I haven't found a way to thread wires from the ceiling to a wall and down to the basement for 12VDC.

These challenges are part of the fun of owning a RV.
Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to know anything just ask on this Great Forum.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=signal+tracer

Signal Tracer

One of these can make life easier. The prices have come down so much that everyone that has a tool box should have one. If you have something not working, just put the tone on the wires and chase it down.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #12

Wow, great ideas. I have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35B, I am going to install a fan in the bedroom. After considering the above ideas, I think I can get 12 VDC power from my bathroom Fantastic Fan which is switched at both the wall and the fan and is close to the AC Duct. Thank you all. JH
Old 07-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

Can you guys post a couple of pics?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

Some photos would be great.What size fan,make.This is a project that I would surely enjoy having.

2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, install