Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #1

I just opened up the rear engine access door and found the insulation blanket laying on the valve cover.

I am considering trying 3M spray adhesive and some fender washers and screws to reattach. It appears the surface above is fiberglass.

Any suggestions on a better method would be apppreciated. Access is tight.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #2

I just opened up the rear engine access door and found the insulation blanket laying on the valve cover.

I am considering trying 3M spray adhesive and some fender washers and screws to reattach. It appears the surface above is fiberglass.

Any suggestions on a better method would be apppreciated. Access is tight.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That's what I used plus some aluminum duct tape to seal up the seams between the pieces of insulation. So far . . . so good!
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried several of the 3M adhesives and had no luck. They work temporarily, but I think the heat makes them soft and once that blanket gets the least bit loose in an area, it pulls the rest out in short order.

I finally glued it back in and then built an aluminum "truss" type of arrangement under it out of 1/4" x 1" aluminum and screwed it to the doghouse with 4 small screws and (front engined coach and that has worked great. I
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #5

I secured my insulating pad in this manner:
1. Bought 1" X 1/4" fur strips (HD, Lowes, etc.).
2. Drilled 3/16" holes thru them every foot or so ("eyeball" is close enough and, in my case, I drilled holes 2" from each end, 1 in the middle between the end holes and 2 more splitting the difference between the middle and end screws).
3. Bought a pound of 1" long drywall screws and some fender washers.
4. Screwed the strips to the underside of the mattress platform to form an outline 'frame' that clears the walls of the bed riser when the bed is closed.
5. Fastened 6 additional width-wise strips just long enough to clear the inside width of the 'frame' strips.

When fastening the strips, run the screws in just far enough to fasten the strips so they avoid having their points come through the bed's platform or split the fur strips.

You'll never have to worry about that again.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #6

You can also use strips of aluminum flashing as a runner full length of your line of fasteners, and secure thru insulation every foot or so w/fender washers. 3" flashing works well.

Don't buy screws that are overly long