Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Insurance recommendations

On the subject of insurance; hull, liability, and property damage, the usual items, are there any recommendations for particular companies?

Weve been covered by Progressive since we purchased the coach new in 2007 and have been surprised, not happily so, that the premiums have increased on the average of $200.00 to over $400.00 each and every year. These increases have occurred in spite of never submitting a claim, and a 100% accident free lifetime record.

When we bought the coach we had previously insured our rvs through USAA, United States Automobile Association, a company that primarily caters to active and retired military officers; and had hoped to do so again. But, unfortunately, they do not insure the high-end/more expensive, recreational vehicles, and instead highly recommended Progressive. We have had no problems or claims with Progressive, and understand they are very good in settling claims, but we do question a premium of $2300 a year for a 36 2006 Alpine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have been very happy with my GMAC policy. Had a $4,000.00 plus claim when the main awning came out while driving. Quick and friendly claim service and no rate increase at last renewal.

Now you know why they are called Progressive, they progressively raise your rate

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another vote for GMAC. No claims so far but we have heard good things about them.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are with Allied through Farm & City Ins. Broker. Ours also went up. As our agent explained it, because we have full replacement coverage, it will go up every year because it is one year older and will cost more each year to replace it. Haven't had any claims so I don't know about their responsiveness. If you want the name and number of our agent at Farm & City, I would be happy to provide it.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks, make your agent shop your coverage every year. That is what you are paying them for. Insurance Companys don't give a damn whether you are a loyal customer or not, their loyalty is to their stockholders. Shop them every year.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat View Post
We are with Allied through Farm & City Ins. Broker. Ours also went up. As our agent explained it, because we have full replacement coverage, it will go up every year because it is one year older and will cost more each year to replace it. Haven't had any claims so I don't know about their responsiveness. If you want the name and number of our agent at Farm & City, I would be happy to provide it.
My GMAC policy is a full replacement policy for the first 5 years, it has not increased once. Wonder if they charged me all up front.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I pay less than half of that premium, although it did go up this year. I had a claim two years ago and it was paid with no problem. It is with National Interstate Insurance--you can find them on-line, but the agent I got is in Florida: A Twin Peaks Insurance Agency, (800) 507-8467.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

Insurance rates will be based on a few factors.Your driving record,claims,age of motorhome and where you have your coach registered.We live in Idaho and pay $600.00 a year with a $500.00 deductible.That is thru Statefarm Ins.I must admit I did not know of hand, I had to ask my insurance agent( which happens to be my wife).
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
Insurance rates will be based on a few factors.Your driving record,claims,age of motorhome and where you have your coach registered.We live in Idaho and pay $600.00 a year with a $500.00 deductible.That is thru Statefarm Ins.I must admit I did not know of hand, I had to ask my insurance agent( which happens to be my wife).
We also 'reside' in Idaho and insure a 2006 38 ft DP through Progressive and pay 1200 a year. Do you have to wait until renewal time to change?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
On the subject of insurance; hull, liability, and property damage, the usual items, are there any recommendations for particular companies?

Weve been covered by Progressive since we purchased the coach new in 2007 and have been surprised, not happily so, that the premiums have increased on the average of $200.00 to over $400.00 each and every year. These increases have occurred in spite of never submitting a claim, and a 100% accident free lifetime record.

When we bought the coach we had previously insured our rvs through USAA, United States Automobile Association, a company that primarily caters to active and retired military officers; and had hoped to do so again. But, unfortunately, they do not insure the high-end/more expensive, recreational vehicles, and instead highly recommended Progressive. We have had no problems or claims with Progressive, and understand they are very good in settling claims, but we do question a premium of $2300 a year for a 36 2006 Alpine.
RUN AWAY from Progressive. There rates are terrible. I too was referred to Progressive by USAA. Their rates were and still are three times what I pay at National Interstate for the exact same coverage. I've made one major claim for a $11000 (yep, eleven thousand) dollar rear cap repair (backed into a pole) and they didn't raise my rates one cent at renewal. They paid the claim without complaint and I got all the work done at a top notch repair center - Creative Coach. I highly recommend National Interstate.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We also 'reside' in Idaho and insure a 2006 38 ft DP through Progressive and pay 1200 a year. Do you have to wait until renewal time to change?
Nope!
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dick, We also had Progressive until several yers ago and we learned of the "liberal" ownership of Progressive (one of George SOros side-kicks - cant think of his name at the moment)and we changed to National Interstate (aka Triumphe Casualty) after choosing a new Agent, Beth Shipman with Vista Group out of Colorado - 866-270-5297. She is a great Agent who follows through and is very responsive to her clients. We have not had a claim but she has told us that National was easy to deal with when the need arises!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I vote for American National Insurance, why, first our premium is less than 700 annually. Seoncd, if no claims on our policie's in the first 3 years, we get 25% back in the forth year as a rebate, which can add up to hundred's of dollars. Third they just paid out over 70K because of the accident when a Progressive policy holder lost her tire and crashed into our coach, with not enough coverage to fix it. They have not given us any trouble with the claim so far, and we are plase with our agent, and the service we get.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Until 3 weeks ago I woulda voted for GMAC. However since making a claim due to my own stupidity and tearing up the awning, my agent, Larry glubna, dodged my calls for a full three weeks. I finally got him to answer THIS morning and he reviewed his notes and promptly told me he would send it up for another group to review and that it would take 4-5 days for a response. Well, 45 min later I got a call from the repAir facility saying they've gotten the ok from GMAC and that it would be at least Friday before the awning will be in. Here's to hoping I can get that earlier too. On second thought, I guess GMAC is cool, just don't get Larry glubna, especially when u need expedited so you can go and tailgate to cheer on your favorite team in the NFC championship game THIS weekend

Tags
insurance